Fixed: I found some (small) weirdness in Liptikl

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
CarlLofgren
Silver

Fixed: I found some (small) weirdness in Liptikl

Postby CarlLofgren » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Enough with christmasfood for a while! I've found something slightly odd with Liptikl. Maybe this is intentional, but thought I could send a little report in any case.

1) In the Ideas box I write the following words: ONE TWO THREE FOUR.
2) I press Create Lyrics and I get something like: TWO FOUR THREE ONE.
3) Now, I am very pleased with this result - but not completely. I Lock the word ONE (leaving FOUR THREE and TWO as unlocked).
4) I press Create Lyrics and get a result like THREE FOUR TWO ONE (ONE - locked).
5) Now I see the light - I know my lyrics are going. I lock the third word (TWO) and in my brilliant creative mind, I know what's missing. I go to the lyrics box and insert the word ZEBRA between THREE and FOUR, creating a line that looks like this: THREE ZEBRA FOUR TWO ONE (where the last two words are locked).
6) Now. A curious thing happens. As soon as I click outside the Liptikl application, the software updates itself and suddenly no longer the words TWO and ONE are locked - but FOUR and TWO. I clearly can see the programming mechanisms that causes this - but if possible to avoid this - that would be great.

Secondly (and I you followed my little example above - PLEASE don't take it away. It will be continued with my next exercise.

I know I have been moaning a little about various character problems, and support for non-English OS. All this works fine now. As long as I write my forthcoming masterpieces in English that is. But if we take the Swedish language for example - as we Swedes are so far up north, we've been included in the Club-Of-Really-Cool-Non-Standard-Characters. Such as ÅÄÖ. Now... If I want to write anything in Swedish with Liptikl, that's all fine - as long as I avoid special characters. If I do - I get some really weird interpretations instead of my beloved Cool-Non-Standard-Characters.

I don't know if this is intentional - but it would be great if Liptikl could support special characters. I completely understand the logic behind being able to look up words with the Thesaurus and Dictionaries - but still...

Now, let's go back to my beautiful serenade. In a sense of complete genius, I go to the Ideas box in my old example and select everything, press delete and write the only thing I need to say. I write the letter Ö. The I press the Create Lyric button, and all sorts of weird magic happens. Firstly the locked words TWO and FOUR are locked (smart feature! Didn't expect that) and inserted in places there are the weirdish Liptikl translation of the letter Ö. Now if I am a daredevil and lock this weird word - and create lyrics, I can go so far I make Liptikl to lock itself and I have to force it to quit. Sometimes the Liptikl interpretations of the letter are just a few characters long - sometimes whole lines.

Now... back to the hard work of finishing the chocolate. Or as Homer Simpson would say. This chocolate needs more chocolate!

All the best,

Carl

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Carl!

I'll answer in detail in a day or 2 (once family duties are fully cleared!), but can I please check in the interim:
- which Operating system are you using?

Just to note that I think liptikl *should* be able to cope with non-English character sets [albeit with weird results!], and I've tried blasting it such characters (it works OK now with non-English file system naming, thanks to some help from early users of noatikl/liptikl!)... but that route has been tested a lot less than plain-English text; so there might well be some bugs in there for such text that we can find and fix!

Right, gotta go, back later!

All the best!

Pete

CarlLofgren
Silver

Postby CarlLofgren » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:16 pm

I tried it with both english Windows XP and swedish, using Liptikl 1.0.0.12. Here... I've uploaded a picture how it looks when locking the weird interpretations of the letter Ö. Talk about talking in tongues! :)

http://www.deepjack.com/liptikl.gif

All the best,

Carl.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi Carl,

Back from my Christmas travels - yes, that does look weird. :)

Send me a copy of the file by email and I'll take a further look with the debugger!

All the best!

Pete

CarlLofgren
Silver

Postby CarlLofgren » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 pm

In the mail.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 pm

Got it - many thanks!

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi Carl!

Right, that was fun. :shock:

The bottom line is that there were some multibyte-character related bugs in liptikl, which have all now been fixed thanks you your bug report and test file. :)

So, your problem is fixed in the next release of liptikl, which is due in 1 or 2 days - keep an eye on the forum!

With best wishes,

Pete

CarlLofgren
Silver

Postby CarlLofgren » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:57 am

I am most happy to hear you've succeeded! Brilliant. I'd be happy to take it for a testdrive before you release it.

And about the locking issue I've mentioned at the beginning of my initial post. It that a bug or is it intended to work that way?

/C

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Carl!

And about the locking issue I've mentioned at the beginning of my initial post. It that a bug or is it intended to work that way?

Lets just say that it is expected behaviour. I hope to address this sometime when I have the time!

All the best!

Pete

CarlLofgren
Silver

Postby CarlLofgren » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:03 pm

I assume that means you have more important things to do - fair enough :)

All the best,

Carl

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Well, we have to think carefully about prioritising stuff. Let me know if this becomes a real pain for you, and we'll bump it up the list!

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”