notes question

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
mejinuf
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

notes question

Postby mejinuf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:14 am

Hi guys, does noatkil actualy show you the notes being played?

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: notes question

Postby impete » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Well, yes and no. :)

As voices are played, you can see the scale and harmony rule items that are selected get "flashed" in the various rules screens.

We don't actually display the composed note values (e.g. G#4 etc.) as they are composed for each voice, if only because I'm not too sure where it would neatly fit in the display...!

Let me know if you have any ideas on this!

Best wishes,

Pete

DarkStar
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Postby DarkStar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm not sure that I'd get much from a real-time display of notes within Noatikl. Especially with multiple MIDI voices it could get very blurred and blotchy. Flashing is enough for me ;)

In my host (Reaper 3) I have set it up up that I can record the MIDI generated by Noatikl on separate tracks, or the audio after the MIDI has gone through a VSTi (SampleTank 2.5 or Kontakt 4) or both the MIDI and the audio. I can do all my investigations in the host.

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 pm

DarkStar wrote:I'm not sure that I'd get much from a real-time display of notes within Noatikl. Especially with multiple MIDI voices it could get very blurred and blotchy.

It's something I find very helpful when things aren't working as expected, but I'm not sure its worth building the facility into Noatikl.
When I need to know whats going on, I use the monitor option in MidiPipe to give me a window on midi activity. I'm not really sure a built in midi monitor would add much.

Partikl (the audio generating bit of Mixtikl) has a midi monitor view giving a realtime overview of activity on all 16 channels. That's a really useful troubleshooting tool for those times when a voice isn't behaving as I expected, but MidiPipe isn't an option in that case as there isn't a midi out port it can monitor. So the built in option works in that case. :)

Mark

Return to “Tips”