multiple instances of noatikl

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
earthmuse
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

multiple instances of noatikl

Postby earthmuse » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:52 pm

anyone used more than one instance of noatikl within their host of choice, and if so, and it's possible . . . any problems?

arcana des
Gold
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: multiple instances of noatikl

Postby arcana des » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:43 pm

earthmuse wrote:anyone used more than one instance of noatikl within their host of choice, and if so, and it's possible . . . any problems?

I have been wondering this very same thing. It seems that if it's possible, the listen and sync buttons would need to be selected...at least it would seem logical overall. And again if it's possible to run multiple instances I wonder if the instances can listen and sync to each other, or only with midi notes/info from another source such as inside a DAW? Does this even make any sense? I haven't tried it so I'm wondering also what are advantages/disadvantages to running noatikl inside a DAW over running it standalone, or vice versa?

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 am

And again if it's possible to run multiple instances I wonder if the instances can listen and sync to each other, or only with midi notes/info from another source such as inside a DAW?

I can't say I've ever attempted to run more than one instance at a time so for all I know it might work like a charm, but I think there would be a high chance of inadvertently setting up all kinds of destructive midi feedback loops.

I haven't tried it so I'm wondering also what are advantages/disadvantages to running noatikl inside a DAW over running it standalone, or vice versa?

I always use the standalone. The main reason (other than habit) is about ergonomics and is related to my DAW (Logic) which only allows one plugin editor to be in view at a time. By using Spaces on the Mac, I can have noatikl standalone on one screen, Logic on another and just flip between them with the cursor keys. It's also makes midi routing easier for me when I use the standalone but thats about how my studio is set up so might not be a big deal for anyone else.

What I DO do, once I've finished a piece, is open an instance of the plugin in Logic and load in the noatikl file I just made in the standalone before saving the Logic project, in order to keep everything archived together.

arcana des
Gold

Postby arcana des » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:34 am

Umcorps wrote:
And again if it's possible to run multiple instances I wonder if the instances can listen and sync to each other, or only with midi notes/info from another source such as inside a DAW?

I can't say I've ever attempted to run more than one instance at a time so for all I know it might work like a charm, but I think there would be a high chance of inadvertently setting up all kinds of destructive midi feedback loops.

I haven't tried it so I'm wondering also what are advantages/disadvantages to running noatikl inside a DAW over running it standalone, or vice versa?

I always use the standalone. The main reason (other than habit) is about ergonomics and is related to my DAW (Logic) which only allows one plugin editor to be in view at a time. By using Spaces on the Mac, I can have noatikl standalone on one screen, Logic on another and just flip between them with the cursor keys. It's also makes midi routing easier for me when I use the standalone but thats about how my studio is set up so might not be a big deal for anyone else.

What I DO do, once I've finished a piece, is open an instance of the plugin in Logic and load in the noatikl file I just made in the standalone before saving the Logic project, in order to keep everything archived together.

yeah, okay...you're probably right on the destructive midi feedback loops. I didn't think about that. I still might try it just to see. **I also have been using the standalone for the same reasons. Much easier to see what's going on and act more quickly. **That's an efficient idea that I didn't think of - is archiving the noatikl and logic file together. makes perfect sense. thanks!

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty certain that this wouldn't work, as the underlying libraries we use to create the Noatikl plug-in do not - so far as I recall! - allow this.
That said, I haven't tried it - maybe it will work with some sequencers.

Best wishes,

Pete

earthmuse
Platinum

Postby earthmuse » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 pm

actually, it sort of seems to work in cubase ... now, all i need to do is remember why i wanted to try this in the first place ...

Return to “Tips”