Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
erabyterum
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Rhythmic Voice notes length

Postby erabyterum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Hello again,

It seems that all noobish questions here asked by me :)

It's interesting, is there any ability to draw note's lenght more than 1 bar in rhythmic voice type? I know, ambient type of voice allows to do it.. but what about rhythmic? Usually, all notes in rhythmic type are 1 bar in lenght or even shorter :cry: And ambient type notes don't have the ability to be "quantized", they're all free floating...

Thank you.

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Rhythmic Voice notes lenght

Postby Umcorps » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:07 am

erabyterum wrote:It's interesting, is there any ability to draw note's lenght more than 1 bar in rhythmic voice type? I know, ambient type of voice allows to do it.. but what about rhythmic? Usually, all notes in rhythmic type are 1 bar in lenght or even shorter :cry:

Yes there is a way, but its not very intuitive so its easy to miss.

You use a pattern type voice.

(I did say it wasn't intuitive :mrgreen: )

When you set the pattern voice use percent to <100% the voice behaves like an ordinary rhythmic type voice when its not doing patterns.

So, if your pattern just said something simple like <100 R 480> and the use percent was set to 10% (with the other pattern parameters left at default) you'd get a 2 bar note with a 10% probability and normal rhythmic voice behaviour for the rest of the time.

If you wanted to get fancy, you can have several of these one note patterns with different weights attached so you have a selection of long notes to play with

<90 R 480>
<50 R 720>
<50 R 960>

Would weight your pattern towards giving up up a 2 bar note but makes 3 or 4 bar notes very likely as well.

erabyterum
Bronze

Re: Rhythmic Voice notes lenght

Postby erabyterum » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Hello Umcorps,

I've tried to do as you described... but still getting 1 bar notes mostly and in a rare cases only 1.5 note's lenght :cry:
Also, i've raised probability from 10% to 35% and even more - but no notes longer than 1.5 bar.

Am i so unlucky to get 2 or even 3-4 bars note in lenght? :)

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Rhythmic Voice notes length

Postby impete » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi!

Just to recap, Noatikl (currently) only composes "rhythmic" notes of up to 1 bar duration.

You can specify patterns if your voice type is of "Pattern" type, and set-up Noatikl to use that pattern all of the time, or just some of the time.
In Mark's example, the voice will play the *rest* of a few bars duration; and for other times, will compose notes according to the specified rhythm rule in duration.
Which are always going to be shorter than you want.

You *could* configure an Ambient voice to play notes of (say) 2 bars in duration, but that probably isn't what you want.

I've been meaning for a long time to add a "multiplier" or "scale factor", which would tell Noatikl to treat each "slot" in the rhythm rule as being a longer note than the default. So, if you set the rule's "note rule scale factor" to e.g. x2, then a note composed for 1 bar would actually be for 2 bars, a note composed for 1 crotchet would actually be a minim; etc. ... we might say allow the factor to be from a list of useful values, such as x2, x3, x4 etc.

I guess the long-and-short of it is that would be a really useful thing to put in Noatikl 2. And the good news from my perspective is that I don't think the code would be too hard to write! :)

If that sound like that would meet your requirements, then could you please write a corresponding post to the "Feature Requests" sub-forum?

Of course your immediate needs might be met simply by adjusting the tempo to be e.g. 2x the current value...?

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Edit: fixed Mark's example patterns. to use the Rhythmic pattern syntax like he intended. :)

Please give the revised patterns ago, should work like you wanted. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

erabyterum
Bronze

Postby erabyterum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes. now it works! Thank you very much.

impete
Site Admin