Newbie Needs Reaper Help

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
brossmac
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Newbie Needs Reaper Help

Postby brossmac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 am

I finally broke down and bought the Mega Bundle and am quite happy. I've been playing with Mixtikl and making some great ambient pieces. But I definitely want to use some of the VSTi's I already have.

I tried getting Noatikl to work in the DAW I generally use (Acoustica Mixcraft) but the MIDI routing doesn't seem to be working for me. I see that Reaper seems to be much more compatible in this way, so I may consider purchasing Reaper as well.

I've been playing around with it for a few days but I need some help with the MIDI routing.

Could somebody give me a walkthrough of how to route the Noatikl VST so that I can route two Voices to separate VSTi's on separate tracks?

Much appreciation in advance!

Brad

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Newbie Needs Reaper Help

Postby impete » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:21 am

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your support, and thanks for the question!

Are you using Windows or Mac?

For what its worth, I do all of my primary VSTi/AudioUnit testing on Mac/Windows with Reaper. I find it to be powerful, stable, and it seems to "do the right thing" in most cases that I can see. I suggest those of you who haven't tried it, give it a go!

As for your question, I'm not sure exactly what the best solution is: I haven't actually tried this myself, so I'd be very interested to find-out what the best solution for you is; we can then document this and share the information with our other users.

My first thought would be to route the output from Noatikl via a Virtual MIDI cable, such as an IAC port (Mac) or Maple (Windows - many alternatives for Windows). There might well be an easier solution in Reaper - it is a clever product! - and might suggest you ping them for suggestions?

Best wishes,

Pete

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:31 pm

OK, as this comes up a lot I've DLd Reaper and had a play and this is how I got it to work for me on the Mac.

In addition to Reaper you need some kind of virtual midi port. I happened to use MidiPipe (so I could see what was going on) but the IAC would probably work just as well. On Wndows I'm out of touch but MidiOx/MidiYoke always used to work for me back in the day.

1 - Set up you virtual midi port for one input and one output.

2 - Then launch Reaper

3 - Create a new virtual instrument track to host the Noatikl plugin. Leave all the Reaper settings for that track at default.

4 - When Noatikl is open, set the Midi output = your virtual midi input (Midipipe 1 in my case). Midi input should be the sequencer midi ipieline and check the Sync? and Play this file tick boxes.

5 - Create a track for your VSTi(s) and load your synths of choice.

6 - In the input list (under the track volume slider) select -> Input Midi -> Your virtual midi interface ->Channel 1

7 - Create the track for your next VSTia nd load the synth of choice

6 - In the input list (under the track volume slider) select -> Input Midi -> Your virtual midi interface ->Channel 2

7 - Repeat up to channel 16 if you like.

8 - Set up your voices in Noatikl, being sure to allocate the correct midi channel to the synth you want to address.

9 - Hit play and admire your handiwork.

Below is a screenshot of how it looks here running two instances of Crystal on channels 1 and 2

Hope that helps!

[edit!! - Forgot to say that you need to go to the Audio and Midi setup in Reaper once its launched to enable the virtual midi port for input and output, otherwise it won't appear in the drop down list on Reaper's track page]

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Top stuff Mark, many thanks!

I don't suppose this'll tempt you to move from Logic to Reaper? :mrgreen:

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:11 pm

impete wrote:I don't suppose this'll tempt you to move from Logic to Reaper? :mrgreen:

Are they forecasting a bad winter in Hell? :twisted:

Mind you, if Apple screw with Logic like they've done with FCP I think Reaper could be the fallback position.

brossmac
Bronze

Postby brossmac » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:46 am

I'm using some different techniques and got it working. I still want to fiddle with it to see that I'm doing what I think I'm doing.... ;)

I'll post my findings when I do.

Thanks for the help.

Brad

Return to “Tips”