Snow Leopard, Reaper, MIDI, VST or AU?

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
LutherBlissett
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Snow Leopard, Reaper, MIDI, VST or AU?

Postby LutherBlissett » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 am

Hi there.
New user of Noatikl here (previously used Mixtikl on iPad).
I'm just wondering what the consensus is w/regard to sending MIDI in Reaper DAW.
Using VST I'm finding it only sends to the next synth in the FX list so I can't do multiple channels to different synths. I'm also getting frequent CTDs if i change parameters. The AU seems a bit less crashy and sending / receiving through IAC means I can send to many different synths and record them all separately on different channels.
Thought?

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Snow Leopard, Reaper, MIDI, VST or AU?

Postby Umcorps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:33 am

Welcome!

I'm not a Reaper expert but as far as I know, the only way to get Noatikl VST or AU to work with multiple channels is to route the midi out from Reaper and bring it back in using a virtual midi port. So on OSX that would be either the IAC or MidiPipe.

There is a walk through of how to set this up in THIS thread

LutherBlissett

Postby LutherBlissett » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for the reply.
I was following the instructions for Reaper form the Noatikl guide (http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/noati ... ral_7.html) and the suggestions weren't working.
The IAC method makes sense. Any benefit to getting MIDI Pipe?
I think I have Jack OSX as well which can do routing Midi and Audio.

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 am

LutherBlissett wrote:The IAC method makes sense. Any benefit to getting MIDI Pipe?

That depends what you need. The IAC does a basic job and has the advantage of being just part of the system. Whereas you have to remember to load MidiPipe before you start a session. So for basic routing the IAC is fine.

Personally, I prefer MidiPipe because you can see what's going on in the midi stream which is very helpful for troubleshooting. You can also set it up to do more complex routing and filtering which is really useful. Noatikl puts out a lot of midi initialisation data which is fine if you are using it to control the shape of a mix but if you would rather do that in your DAW it helps to filter that stuff out to stop it resetting the DAWs channel strip settings.

You can probably do those sort of tasks from within your DAW too. But its often simpler to do it in MidiPipe.

It's just down to what works best for you and your setup.

LutherBlissett

Postby LutherBlissett » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 am

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

JimStraynge
Bronze

Postby JimStraynge » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm

I think have done this, quite a while ago, I think for this song:
http://soundcloud.com/jimstraynge/noati ... -recording
I was using windows, oops, I just remembered. Maybe that does not help.
I believe I did the standard reaper thing for using a VSTi with multiple outs, man it's been like almost 2 years, I fed the noatikl midi into a couple different channels on Independance Free, or similar sound creator, routing each stereo out to a Reaper channel in a folder.
Of course this doesn't settle the question of VSTi or AU on OSX.
However, I've read some in the Reaper OSX forums where many people seem to prefer VSTi over AU, then another argument is it depends on the insert, although the (slight) majority was for VSTi.
For what it is worth, my best fun with reaper and OSX was 5 years ago with a non-intel MacMini and the (always current beta) of Reaper at the time. Of late my results have been mixed. But I'm not the smartest guy ;).

Return to “Tips”