Tools for working with 'Patterns'

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Tools for working with 'Patterns'

Postby Loopy C » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:02 pm

A quick post to share two of my current favorite tools for working with Noatikl's 'Patterns' Voice type. One for creating FORMATTED!!! permutations of number pattern sets, and the other for exploration of number sequences as a starting point for longer, interesting sequences (for instance. Fibonacci, Lucas integer series).

Permutation Generator

http://textmechanic.com/Permutation-Generator.html

Here, permutations of the Pythagorean 'Triangular' numbers…all formatted and ready for direct paste into Noatikl!:

And note they also have a 'Combination Generator':

http://textmechanic.com/Combination-Generator.html

Here is same 'Triangular' number set put into 256 combinations:

Another great source of experimental starting points for both rhythm and frequency sequence series for 'Patterns':

Integer Sequence Encyclopedia

http://oeis.org/webcam

Last edited by Loopy C on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Loopy C
Platinum

Re: Tools for working with 'Patterns'

Postby Loopy C » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:28 pm

I should also add the invaluable 'Text Wrangler' to the Mac OS Noatikl toolkit:

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Great to 'Find/Replace', 'Remove Line Breaks' (to convert permutations to long sequences to work around the 'standard' measure 'padding' Noatikl applies to Pattern sequences), build timline-like 'Trigger Parameter' lists, and much, much more ;-)

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks for sharing these Chris, most useful.

atb

tim

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Hmmm…coming around full circle, I just realized that your own 'Liptikl' is also a great tool for creating ruled-based shufflings of number patterns to be pasted into the Pattern format 8)

earthmuse
Platinum

Postby earthmuse » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:15 pm

great stuff! thanks for sharing ...

christo4us
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby christo4us » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:39 am

Hi,

wanted to share what I have been using to get existing midi files "converted" into pattern format. There were some other posts on this in the past where Excel was recommended.

I found a great free midi to csv converter, the name is weird but I found it by far the easiest to work with: MIDIanal. For some reason I am not allowed to post urls, here is another attempt:

ww.tima.uk.com/midianal.htm

You select/exclude the output options of your liking (note on is the most important, get rid of note off) drag and drop the midi file into the program, click save, and an excel/csv file is saved in the same folder as the midi file. I created my master excel file to convert note formats by setting up tables in a separate tab and then referring to them on the actual conversion tab with formulas. The conversion tab has only 2 columns copied and pasted from the csv generated in MIDIanal, Total Beats Passed and Note. Formulas convert these to Noatikl pattern format, and then concatenate into a pattern sequence. Due to Excel limitations on concatenate formula length there is still a certain amount of manual work involved as each midi file is different regarding length, number of tracks etc. It's not perfect. I only came up with this a couple of months ago, so it will go through tweaks as I figure more out. I tried to attach an example, but xlsx extensions are not allowed (???).

I have tried using some of the MIDI ipad apps that generate logs to get a csv format but with limited success.

datadrone.flux
Gold
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby datadrone.flux » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 pm

This is a very useful tool and allows countless experiments and explorations...
Thank you very much for sharing.
Best wishes ...
:mrgreen:

Return to “Tips”