Noatikl iOS and Soundfonts

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
ltf3
Silver

Noatikl iOS and Soundfonts

Postby ltf3 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi

I'm probably slow on the uptake, but I just found a nice SoundFont ( sf2 ) player on the App Store on sale for a couple of Bucks! It's called bs-16i and seems to work well when fed from Noatikl. ( though sometimes I have to relaunch apps to get the Noatikl MIDI ports to show up in it!).
However it lets me load 4 seperate SoundFont files, access their contents and assign them to a 16 channel mixer with effects ( basic ).
The Sf 2 files can be found on the Internet .... I used a free app called Documents to browse for them. Once located they are usually in zip or rar archives. Documents can download and unpack them, then has an Open In ... Function to load them into the Library of bs16.

I found a bunch of pretty good SoundFonts ... A nice Orchestral one called Sonatina which took a while to discover/ locate. If anyone wants them I can post a link to my drop box. Just let me know.

I know Noatikl can host A SoundFont... But I find this more streamlined and easier to play with!

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Noatikl iOS and Soundfonts

Postby imtim » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks for alerting people to BS-16i as a SoundFont player that can be driven with Noatikl MIDI out.

If you want to keep things "in house" then Noatikl itself can use SoundFonts of course, and to which you can apply any FX Network you wish to use, but that is also a different work flow.

I know it goes without saying, and so I mention it is passing, but in all that you do with sound fonts themselves please of course ensure you respect the copyrights and licence terms of the creators!

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:39 am

Just to add that there is also a VST and AU version of the Bismark players if you want a soundfont host on your desktop systems. I think they are the best all-round soundfont hosts you can get, especially on OS X systems where choice is limited. I've had good results hosting BS-1 in AU Lab which, though a bit fiddly to set up at first, gives you a very low-impact, stand-alone sf2 host.

Also, if you ever want to edit sf2 files - either rolling your own from scratch or just making custom collections from pre-existing libraries I can recommend the open-source, multi-platform editor Polyphone

There are other options for Windows users (the best being Viena) but, for Mac users, it's the only reliable editor I know of that is native to OS X.

ltf3
Silver

Postby ltf3 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:06 am

Hi

Thanks for that link to Polyphone ... I will use it to be sure!

Return to “Tips”