Using Noatikl & Synapse Audio Orion Virtual Studio!

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
ctguitars
Silver

Using Noatikl & Synapse Audio Orion Virtual Studio!

Postby ctguitars » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 am

Hi Guys,

I recently bought Noatikl - first thing I tried was to use the included VSTi inside a virtual studio app called Orion. Now for those of you familiar with FL Studio and Reason, well this is what Orion is - a complete virtual studio.

http://www.synapse-audio.com/orionplatinum.php

But I have to say the price point for Orion is excellent - $149:

http://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.php

The synths and samplers in Orion - I think - are ideal to use with Noatikl - try out the Toxic 3 Synth ... mmm!

So anyway I could not get Noatikl to work with Orion - I even started a thread over at the Bug threads - Pete answered me a few times about this and other issues I had - thanks Pete. I then decided to pop a message up at the Orion Forums:

http://www.synapse-audio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=52617#52617

"Does Orion support passing MIDI events out *from* a VSTi to another??"

Within 5 minutes I had my answer from "user_45a27":

"Yes it's working.The only thing you'll have to do is to change a special setting in the generator setting menu : 'automation type' must be set to 'midi CC' for the 'midi sender' plugin.
Even if note messages or pitch bend have nothing to do with CC it must be checked to work.
The fact is I've tried the demo of noatkil so no doubt about this...it's ok."

Heres the process:

1. Load up the Noatikl VSTi inside ORION via the Insert Menu / VST Instruments
2. Click the SHOW EDITOR Button on the Noatikl VSTi panel and "File menu" NEW, Simple Template
3. One "strip" should now be open in Noatikl - called DEFAULT - 5th column out set the Midi Channel to 1
4. Close the Noatikl Editor for now
5. Up top on the Orion icon bar set the MODE to Song
6. Also on this bar press the Play Button - oh no I cannot hear anything :)
7. Go to the Noatikl VSTi panel - along the top is a piano icon for the Event View, next to this is a Gear type Icon, click this and go to GENERATOR SETTINGS, in here select Automation type - "Midi CC"
8. Load up the Toxic 3 VST Instrument ( from the Insert Menu / Synths )
9. Click the same Gear Icon on the Toxic 3 panel - set "Receive MIDI from Generator" from OFF to Noatikl_VSTi_win
10. In the same "Gear" menu go to Generator Settings - Under "Midi In Settings" set Channel to 1 as per point 3 above
11. all going well you now should have Noatikl VSTi playing whatever preset sound you have chosen in the Toxic 3 Synth
12. Now go ahead - create a new track in Noatikl, set its midi port to something other than 1, now load up another Toxic3 synth OR another Orion Synth all together, repeat the above ... build your track using Orion synths, samplers etc

Orion Demo at:

http://www.synapse-audio.com/demo.php?id=1400

I pop this up here for anyone who wishes to try Orion with Noatikl, hope it is helpful!

Cheers
Aidan

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Using Noatikl & Synapse Audio Orion Virtual Studio!

Postby impete » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Many thanks, Aidan!

Pete

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:39 am

sounds good, actually was thinking of purchasing orion myself

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm

I can only get it to work on midi channel 1

can you get it working on other midi channels (whatever I do I cannot get it working on more than midi channel 1)

someone else has commented on this on the orion forum as well.

any ideas?

thanks

ctguitars
Silver

Postby ctguitars » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 am

Hey spidergod,

Are you using an external keyboard to play your soft synths / sequencer etc?

If so then when you set say another track in Noatikl to Midi Channel 2 you also need to set your keyboard to output on Channel 2 also. I have an Evolution Controller Keyboard for example. I have a button on this keyboard called Channel. If I have 3 Synths being driven by Noatikl inside Orion:

Toxic 2 on midi Channel 1
Toxic 3 on midi Channel 2
Tomcat on midi Channel 3

I then need to just change the Channel on my controller keyboard to what ever synth I want to use.

Of course in terms of ORION this is all dependant on a certain setting selected in OPTIONS / MIDI IN SETTINGS.

The setting is - MIDI IN MODE.

If you set this to EASY ( Active Module Gets Midi Input ) - then you do not need to be changing your keyboards channel number each time. However if its set to ADVANCED then you need to change your keyboards channel number each time.

The Orion Manual:

"Under MIDI In Mode you have two options - the first mode is Easy, in which the MIDI input is always routed to the active window. In Advanced mode, you have to configure the routing manually, which is a lot more flexible and powerful, but also more difficult. If you're using Orion for the first time, we recommend you try Easy mode first, to verify that MIDI input is functioning properly."

ALSO ALSO - WHATEVER Channel you have a track set to in Noatikl inside Orion, make sure that the SYNTH you want to be controlled BY THAT TRACK is also set to the same channel. When you have the Synth Panel open, click on the OPTIONS button ( it looks like a circular gear symbol ) - go to generator settings and change the Channel option under Midi in Settings to the same channel as the track in Noatikl that is playing this synth.

Obviously - if you have more than one synth open, each one has to be assigned its own Midi Channel, they all CANNOT be set to 1. You have up to 16 Midi channels per Midi port in the Midi Spec. So, if you have two sound cards with Midi in's you will have 2 x sets of 16 midi channels.

Hope this helps
Aidan

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 am

Hello

Not using a keyboard, just using noatikl to feed into the synths.

And have also changed the settings in the synth option to the different midi channel.

only the synth with midi channel 1 works.

will check to see what the midi in mode setting is set to (i thought it was set to easy).

ctguitars
Silver

Postby ctguitars » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi spidergod,

I assume also that you have each track in Noatikl set to a different midi channel to reference the various synths.

As in the Midi Channel column above 9 ( 1 to 16 ).

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Hello

Yep

using midi channels 1 to 5.

just wondering if orion likes midi yoke?

thanks

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:30 pm

the only difference between mine and yours is that I do not have a tick in the use patch section, do you think this would cause any problem?

thanks

ctguitars
Silver

Postby ctguitars » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm

AHA,

You are using Midi Yoke.

Do you have the Noatikl VSTi? Use this ...

Aidan

ctguitars
Silver

Postby ctguitars » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Heres a graphic of my settings in ORION using the Noatikl VSTi instrument.

With the VSTi you DO NOT NEED Midi Yoke.

Cheers
Aidan

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:07 pm

ah right

see I was using the same setup as for ableton.

will try out orion again tonight not using midi yoke.

thanks

ctguitars
Silver

Postby ctguitars » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:13 pm

OK,

Make sure you are using the Noatikl VSTi DLL that gets installed in your c:\program files\VSTPLUGINS folder - another version gets installed in your default Noatikl folder, but that one crashes Orion and Ableton.

If you have the VSTi you can also use it in Ableton - I reckon its probably cleaner?

I bought the Noatikl SUITE for $119, the Suite includes standalone and VSTi:
http://www.intermorphic.com/store.html - "Noatikl V1 Suite for Windows"

Cheers
Aidan

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm

yeah was looking at different DAWS.

yep bought the noatikl vst version.

ctguitars
Silver

Postby ctguitars » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi,

I have Ableton 6 as my big brother sequencer & also from old a version of Sonar LE. The latter suits for quick stuff. I looked at Reason and FL Studio - found they ate systems to an extent. Then I came across ORION - slim, not bloated, fast enough and loads all the synths you need. The internal synths, samplers and effects are great ( I think ) - finds all my VST i synths also.

Outside of this I bought Guitar Rig 3 - this covers my need for guitar effects without having to plug my Boss GT8 into my audio inputs. Vocally an AKG C3000b Microphone, very warm.

For Audio Wav Editing I use Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.0, this is a cut down version of Sound Forge proper, but has all one needs really.

An interesting app for multitrack audio mxing is TRAKAXPC:

http://www.trakax.com/software/pc/

Its free and very nice too.

Cheers
Aidan

Return to “Tips”