Flumoxed

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
henrywgc
Silver

Flumoxed

Postby henrywgc » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:44 pm

I've purchased and installed noatikl 1.5.0.14 standalone. I have Logic Express 8.0.2. Noatikl plays with the DLS synth through IAC. I've watched the tutorial on working with Logic and made careful hand written notes. I've downloaded MidiPipe and Logic template. I've configured everything to work with Logic. I've loaded a software instrument into Logic. I press record on Logic and nothing happens (except the metronome tick). I've checked and rechecked all the procedures. I've tried lots of different things but nothing works. Thoroughly fed up. Any suggestions?

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Flumoxed

Postby impete » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi henrywgc,

Thanks for the post - I hope we can help!

Firstly, I haven't got Logic Express, so I can't actually check with that tool. Have you tried the Audio Unit version of Mixtikl with Logic Express, to see if that works any better for you? We offer the various variants of Mixtikl (standalone, VSTi, Audio Unit) to help our customers work-around the various issues raised by having so many different host music programs; wich all seem to work differently, some better than others...!

Hopefully some other forum users might have Logic Express...?

With best wishes,

Pete

Edit: I've just re-read the post, and realised that you said Logic, not Logic Express. Doh! Thanks to Mark for pitching-in, BTW! Pete

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 am

I press record on Logic and nothing happens (except the metronome tick). I've checked and rechecked all the procedures. I've tried lots of different things but nothing works. Thoroughly fed up. Any suggestions?

Let's try to narrow it down.

Once you have everything set up, open up an Environment window in Logic (Cmmand-8) and go to the Click and Ports layer.

Press the play transport controls and watch the midi monitor. Do you see midi data coming in?

If you do, the issue is related to the midi routing inside Logic. That could be due to several things - a mismatch between the midi output channel in noatikl and the midi input channel of the Logic instrument you are trying to address, the Logic channel not being record enabled, not having set the "Demix by channel when recording" option in the Preferences menu etc, etc.

If you don't see incoming midi data then the issue is related to midi communication betwen Logic and noatikl. If you are certain that you have set noatikl/midipipe/Logic correctly to share a common input and output port, first try running noatikl in freewheel mode - ie untick the "Sync?" checkbox next to noatikl's midi input dropdown list and set it to play something. Now check the midi monitor in Logic. If you can see data coming in now, the problem is with your synchronisation settings in Logic - most likely Logic has not been setup to send a clock signal to the correct midi port. You need to go to Preferences/Midi/Synchronization and set Logic to send clock to the relevant MidiPipe port (or alternatively to all ports which is the prefered option).

If you don't see incoming data, the port settings in Logic and noatikl aren't as correct as you thought. They need to match.

If you are using MidiPipe you can add a midi monitor to the pipe there to check midi data is going through the pipe. If it's not, you have set noatikl to output to the wrong port. If it is, the problem is in Logic's port settings.

Once you are certain that noatikl is transmittiming midi to the right port, Logic is listening to the right port, set to send clock to the right port and passing midi on to the channel strip waiting to receive mid, take noatikl out of freewheel mode, recheck the "Sync?" checkbox and remember to press "Play" in noatikl (my most common error).

And that should work!

Let me know how you get on.

Mark

henrywgc
Silver

Postby henrywgc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks both. No, it is Logic Express, I just shortened to Logic to extend my keyboard life.

I think the missing link, literally, is the routing in Logic 'Environment'. I had set the "Demix" and "Synch" preferences OK, and set noatikl to synch and pressed play, but simply linking IAC bus 2 to a monitor in Environment things started happening. This isn't mentioned in the video tutorial, but it is specified in the manual (p.20 'Instructions for Logic'). I'm not very good at reading manuals.

Thanks again,

Henry

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi Henry,

Neither Tim nor I have Logic Express, which is a shame!

Is it all now working OK, and is there anything you'd recommend we add to our FAQ to help Logic Express users?

With best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Tips”