Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
Spocko
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Simple instructions to generate mp3s and WAVs

Postby Spocko » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Hello,
Noatikl is a wonderful program - it does just what I want, except give me an mp3 or WAV file so I can then take the output, move it to my mp3 player and patch it into my practice rig to play bass.

I understand the logic of MIDI (data files that give instructions of what to do on each channel) but I don't care to figure out all the technology of how to work with it in Cubase, etc.

My goal is to figure out whether Noatikl will give me what I need to create mp3s or WAVs on my Vista-64 machine.

So far, I've taken a Noatikl midi output and imported it into Cubase and it plays beautifully - when I mix it down, dead file, nothing.

So I found a file converter program on the web that converts midi to mp3. Great - it generates an mp3 file that Windows Media Player can recognize and play perfectly, but my mp3 player cannot recognize the file. Another dead end.

I'm running the demo version of Noatikl which expires in two days - I don't know if the demo is standalone, etc., but my goal is to be able to use Noatikl with no sequencer - standalone - and to create files on my Windows machine that I can convert to mp3 (or WAV, since I have a WAV to mp3 software that works).

If I can do this, I'll buy the software, otherwise, I'll have to pass.

Can you help? Thanks!
David

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Simple instructions to generate mp3s and WAVs

Postby impete » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi David,

Noatikl is purely a MIDI generator. So, it requires a tool like Cubase to turn the MIDI sounds into digital audio sounds using synths and samplers.

To get a WAV or MP3 recording generated from Noatikl, you simply have to take the output from Cubase and record that to WAV file ... or even MP3.

I found these instructions via Google - do they work for you?

open the sx3 file in cubase then click, files---> export--->audio mixdown (make sure you've highlighted the selection on the timeline first, otherwise it will be silent!). Select the "Save as mp3" option and then choose what bitrate you want to save as, eg, 128kbps.

With best wishes,

Pete

Spocko
Bronze

Postby Spocko » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the suggestion - this has been my approach in Cubase to mixdown.

I guess the source of my confusion and frustration is that I want to record what I hear in my speakers when I press play in Noatikl, without the aid of any other running software (unless it is a windows system translator). Somehow my speakers are playing exactly what I want written to disk (instead of sent to speakers).

No doubt my confusion about MIDI is making it doubly hard to understand that scant Cubase documentation that discusses MIDI in the Cubase context. I use Cubase (and Pro Tools) to record guitar and bass from the instrument, so I've not needed or wanted to spend a few months to figure out the MIDI world and jargon.

Oh well, if I don't have the patience to decode how to speak about MIDI, I'll just have to accept that I'm shut out of using Noatikl.

Keep me on your mailing list so that I'll know if there is ever a push button that says "write Noatikl to mp3".

Thanks for your time!
David

Spocko
Bronze

Postby Spocko » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Good news!

I used the conversion program "Switch" (http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html) to convert the Noatikl generated MIDI file to a WMA file, and then converted the WMA file to mp3 using "Protected Music Converter" (http://www.wma-mp3.com/).

For some reason, mp3's generated from "Switch" were unrecognizable, so I had to first go to WMA and then to mp3 using the second software.

Anyway, I now have Noatikl generated music playing through my practice rig from an aux'd in mp3 player.

Excellent!
David

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi David

Glad you have found a solution that works for you.

Excellent!

Best wishes

tim

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:29 am

Thought I should also mention that Mixtikl can generate WAV recordings from the content it plays; which can include Noatikl files!

You could load-up a Noatikl file into a Mixtikl content cell, adjust the tempo/key to suit.
Then create a Mix Recording!

The reason this is possible, is that Mixtikl includes a full MIDI wavetable synthesizer called Partkl (something that Noatikl doesn't have at the moment), and also includes a Noatikl "player engine".

It is possible that future versions of Noatikl might include the same Partikl synthesizer, allowing you to target this synth directly rather than having to go via your MIDI sub-system; but we haven't decided this yet.

Best wishes,

Pete

Spocko
Bronze

Postby Spocko » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Pete and Tim,

All of my grousing aside, it seems my destiny to figure out how to make MIDI work for me in Cubase, if anything so that I can easily record my fretless bass along with this generated music.

I see that the VSTi variant of Noatikl and Mixtikl is the variant I need for eventual integration with Cubase - but will this variant run standalone as well? I would want to begin playing with this software today - and take my time figuring out the bigger picture of how to tie them into Cubase.

After I read your reply, I'll be figuring out the best combination of bundles to purchase both Noatikl and Mixtikl. What would you recommend? Do I need the extra paks (Noatikl Gen Drums templates and Tiklpak collections) to get started? Overall, my goal is to use the randomness and scriptability of Noatikl to "set parameters and see what happens" (thank you, Mr. Eno) and to use the convenience of Mixtikl to generate dynamic mixes for interesting, always fresh material with which to practice playing bass.

Nice talking to you guys - and thanks for your support!
David

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi David,

Happy to help. :)

If you need to use Noatikl as a VSTi and as standalone, then you'd need the Noatikl bundle.

If you want to use Mixtikl as well, then I'd guess that the Intermorphic Mega bundle might be the best value route for you.

Best wishes, and looking forward to hearing more about your future Noatikl / Mixtikl experiments!

Pete

Return to “Tips”