DAWS I Can Use as a Slave With Noatikl

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
senfar
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

DAWS I Can Use as a Slave With Noatikl

Postby senfar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:45 pm

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a DAWS which could serve as a slave to receive input via midi yoke or loopbemidi from Noatikl midi output to play and record VSTis simutaneously on separate midi tracks. I use Tracktion 3 but it only allows inpu on one track at a time. I would prefer to continue using T3 as my main DAW and am therefore only interested in a relatively inexpensive alternative for simultaneous and separate input to trigger the VSTis. I would also greatly appreciate any link to a description of how to go about setting up the recommended DAW or DAWS for the aforementioned purpose. By inexpensive I mean below about $150 so perhaps Reaper or Sonar Home Studio 7 or ntrack if any of these can do what I need.

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: DAWS I Can Use as a Slave With Noatikl

Postby Umcorps » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:47 am

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a DAWS which could serve as a slave to receive input via midi yoke or loopbemidi from Noatikl

There aren't any. Noatikl doesn't transmit any kind of clock, so can only ever be the slave to a DAW.

I believe Reaper works fine recording multiple midi inputs but it will need to be the clock master, not noatikl.

Mark

senfar

Postby senfar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Umcorps wrote:
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a DAWS which could serve as a slave to receive input via midi yoke or loopbemidi from Noatikl

There aren't any. Noatikl doesn't transmit any kind of clock, so can only ever be the slave to a DAW.
I believe Reaper works fine recording multiple midi inputs but it will need to be the clock master, not noatikl.

Thanks very much for your response. The clock/slave/master aspect isn't essential and it's more important for me simply to be able to hear in real time what my VSTis sound like triggered on multiple channels by Noatikl. I find this preferable to exporting and importing midi files.

I found a free solution today in VstHost which allows me to trigger as many soft synths as I want using Noatikl as a stand alone unit so I can hear what the compositions sound like in real time. I transmit midi output from Noatikl via LoopBe1 into VstHost's midi input set to LoopBe1. I then know in advance which soft synths I will have to select when I move over to Tracktion 3.

Reaper sounds very interesting so I may have a look at it for recording multiple inputs. I'm just a bit wary of information overload at present in terms of the learning curve required to configure Reaper to do what I want!

Peter

senfar

Postby senfar » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:01 pm

I installed Reaper and was able to get it working receiving on many separate tracks from Noatikl in ten minutes without reading the manual. Brilliant. Excellent DAW for the price!

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:03 pm

Yay!!! :D

Return to “Tips”