Noatikl and Multicore Mac Pro

Share your favourite Noatikl tips and tricks
kenwafu
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Noatikl and Multicore Mac Pro

Postby kenwafu » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:07 am

Hi

How can I set up Logic Pro 9, so that it could work in multicore mode whit Noatikl?
Even the template file for Logic Pro 8 (from Intermorphic web site) uses only one core
on a Mac Pro 8 cores (1 core gets quickly overloaded :oops: ).

Thanks for your help.

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Noatikl and Multicore Mac Pro

Postby Umcorps » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:16 am

kenwafu

Postby kenwafu » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks 4 your link, according to my comprehension it seems that this link concerns only the audio tracks.
In Logic Pro 9 every new file takes in account the 8 cores.
Except importing the Noatikl logic 8 template;
As the template file traits only with 16 MIDI tracks, I still don't know how yo solve this question.
Sorry if I look hermetic but I am new using Noatikl

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:31 am

I now have the upgrade for Logic Studio 9 on my desk, and hope to install that soon for testing-out 64-bit Noatikl AU and 64-bit Mixtikl AU...

Best wishes,

Pete

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 pm

kenwafu wrote:Thanks 4 your link, according to my comprehension it seems that this link concerns only the audio tracks.

I think it applies to plugins in general.

I don't know that you can do very much to make Logic change how it manages multiple cores other than try the tips suggested in the link. I guess you could try creating a new instrument track and moving the noatikl plugin to that to see if that forces Logic to rethink it's strategy.

I'm not 100% sure that Logic can ever be persuaded to distribute the processing from any plugin to more than one core at a time. It certainly can't/won't split threads across more than one core.

If it helps, I run noatikl plus multiple plugins in Logic with ease on a dual core Mac Mini. If you're getting core overload problems it might be due to some other issue within your setup. It's worth checking to be sure you don't have, say, a midi feedback loop going on.

The other option is, of course, to take noatikl out of Logic altogether and use the stand-alone version instead.

The template file was prepared on a dual core system so if it contained any information about core management (and I'm not certain that it does) it should be multicore aware at least. If you wanted to eliminate the possibility of problems with the template file you could just use it as a guide to make your own template in L9 from scratch.

kenwafu

Postby kenwafu » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks 4 your explanation.
I run a stand alone Noatikl I set up my own template file but it does not show the multi core activity yet so I keep on searching a solution.
If you find any issue to it please let me know. I'll do the same.

Thanks for your interest

Best regards from Luxembourg

looplab
Silver

Postby looplab » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:27 pm

hi Everyone, any thoughts on this issue? I am running into the exact problem. After doing research found that if the tracks are "record enabled" in Logic 9.1.1, they go in "Live input mode", that only runs in a single core.
But we need the tracks "record enabled". Any comments?

Thanks,

- JC

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:30 pm

BUMP! :!:

Current update to Logic 9.1.3 (released 20th October 2010) looks to have tried to address some multicore/threading audio issues. Not sure if it helps with the problems mentioned here, but possibly worth checking out if you can.

Update release notes HERE

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am

Wow, guess this is an old thread but recently had an interesting experience that relates to the subject.

I was running eight instances/instrument tracks of Camel Audio 'Alchemy', one master, and with some very basic channel /buss processing (Airwindows) and had Logic's 'Audio' pref to 'Automatic' for processing threads. I kept getting only eight threads loading (meaning one channel was doubling up if you count the master out) and that thread would overload. I then MANUALLY set the threads to '16' and viola! I then had nine threads and an even load for each.

So I guess what I am getting at is 'Automatic' may not work properly and you need to 'force' allocation in some circumstances in order for it to really spread the load properly.

FWIW ;-)
Last edited by Loopy C on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Chris,

Hoping you're well - haven't seen you on the forums in a while! :)

That is a *really* interesting tip - many thanks for sharing it!!

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 pm

impete wrote:Hi Chris,

Hoping you're well - haven't seen you on the forums in a while! :)

That is a *really* interesting tip - many thanks for sharing it!!

Best wishes,

Pete

Thanks Pete...actually I still 'lurk' quite often ;-) Still learning and exploring new ideas in Noatikl 1 daily :D

Been building some interesting and complicated 'systems' from 'Following' voices, just the right amount of interdependency, note rest percent, and delay ranges and they start to take on a life of their own. They also allow some interesting 'sequence' ideas to be tried (Follows' rules can be a lot like 'Patterns' but with the unique dependency on what they are following and how 'chaotic' you make that, not to mention careful sets of 'Next Note' combinations.
When many voices are set to follow one voice previous and integer set numbers are progressively set for the delays, wonderful exponential 'cascades' begin to harmonically spray out like John Coltrane was jamming with Tangerine Dream lol

Then...scripting those rules to vary in 'arranged' timelines of logical arcs and progressions and you almost have that monkey that can talk in sign language!

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 am

Loopy C wrote:Been building some interesting and complicated 'systems' from 'Following' voices

All sounds very interesting Chris :). Looking forward to hearing the results of this sometime!! atb, tim

Return to “Tips”