Bombing In Cubase & Suggestions

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
differencetone
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Bombing In Cubase & Suggestions

Postby differencetone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I have returned to Noatikl after not using it for a long time. I now realize that I can turn off the audio for the Microsoft Wavetable synth by disabling the audio outputs of Noatikl within the Cubase VST Instruments Management section. There is no way however, to unload the Microsoft Wavetable synth without unloading the entire Noatikl VSTi. It is my educated guess that the Microsoft Wavetable Synthesizer is what is causing Cubase to constantly bomb! It is not designed to be used with professional music sequencers. Probably Noatikl would work fine on a Mac in Cubase. That is my guess and if someone knows this, it would prove my point. If I am wrong about this, I would like to know about it. Perhaps not many people are using Noatikl in Cubase and Windows but it is important to me. If you can release a version which would be midi only, without that hideous and bad sounding synthesizer, I would be very happy. I would surely use Noatikl more often and master it.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Bombing In Cubase & Suggestions

Postby impete » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi differencetone,

Many thanks for getting in touch!

You can disable the output from Noatikl's software synth by simply clearing the "Partikl?" checkbox on the main screen.

You can stop Noatikl from driving the Microsoft synth, by changing the "MIDI Output:" device to something else, such as a MIDI Yoke port on your computer - which you can then direct as you wish within your computer's MIDI routing software.

Hoping this helps!

Best wishes,

Pete

differencetone
Bronze

Postby differencetone » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks for your reply. The midi yoke thing, I do not use. It's always a hassle and really, there should be no need for it. I don't have a single other VST plugin which requires a third party midi loop program, including a lot of very nice free plugins. That really is not the way to make a VSTi plugin. Pardon me for being so blunt but that is just bad programming. If your product doesn't work as it should, you might as well just pull it from the market and concentrate on phone apps which I consider to be mere toys and not made for professional music production. You should take more pride in your work. I fully expected this to be fixed by now.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi differencetone,

Many thanks for your feedback!

Here is a bit of background on why our software works as it does with respect to MIDI interfacing; I hope this helps.

Noatikl, as you know, is a piece of software that generates MIDI events.
So, it has both a built-in synthesizer (called Partikl, that you can turn-off!) and MIDI output connectivity.

We have both plug-in and standalone variants of Noatikl, to suit best the needs of different customers.

AU plug-ins (only for Mac) are not capable of directly supplying MIDI data into a sequencer. The reason, amazingly, is that that the Audio Unit format doesn't support direct output of MIDI event data. So on a Mac, if you want to use MIDI output from Noatikl AU, you have to route it via an IAC port (similar to MIDI Yoke port, but built-in as a feature on Macs) to route to your destination.

VSTi plug-ins for Windows (as you are using) and Mac *are* capable of directly supplying MIDI data into a sequencer. However, not all sequencers support this (!) - Cubase was always one of those which didn't - which is somewhat annoying. In those cases, if you want to use MIDI output from Noatikl VSTi, you have to route it via a MIDI Yoke port (Windows) or IAC port (Mac).

Some hosts (e.g. Reaper) support direct MIDI output from VSTis on Windows (and Mac) - making the Noatikl VSTi very much easier to use on such hosts.

And of course, the standalone version of Noatikl requires you to use MIDI Yoke / IAC to get your MIDI output to your MIDI synth.

Finally - you don't have to send the MIDI output from Noatikl anywhere - you can always set the Output to "None" if so required (e.g. if you only wanted to use the built-in Partikl synth).

Best wishes,

Pete

differencetone
Bronze

Postby differencetone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:52 am

I'll try it in Reaper. I have had bad luck with midi yoke in the past. Most of my many third party plugins either never or seldom cause Cubase to crash. I realize you are a small company but workarounds are very unprofessional. It ought to be sold with the disclaimer "Does not work well with Cubase." None of your suggestions are elegant solutions.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

differencetone wrote:I'll try it in Reaper. I have had bad luck with midi yoke in the past. Most of my many third party plugins either never or seldom cause Cubase to crash. I realize you are a small company but workarounds are very unprofessional. It ought to be sold with the disclaimer "Does not work well with Cubase." None of your suggestions are elegant solutions.

Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems in Cubase. Couple of things.

1) If you are getting crashes in Cubase, perhaps you could send us crash logs? Getting these can help us spot/resolve issues. For where to find them see here: http://www.intermorphic.com/noatikl/ind ... -crashlogs. You can submit the text in these via the feedback form: http://www.intermorphic.com/help.php#contactform

2) We already did note that we only test the Plugins with Logic and Reaper (See: http://www.intermorphic.com/noatikl/ind ... quirements), but in the light of your comments we have now expanded a bit on what we say there. Hopefully this makes it that bit clearer, so thanks for pointing that out.

Kind regards
tim

differencetone
Bronze

Postby differencetone » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:44 pm

I will try and do that log report. May I suggest that since Cubase uses the dongle method of DRM, surely you can borrow a friend's dongle and test this out yourself and perhaps this would lead to a stable in solution for Cubase users. You seem to blame Steinberg for this problem instead of it being your fault but may I remind you that Steinberg invented VST and graciously released it to the world. The standard changes, this is a good thing. It adds many benefits.

Return to “Bug Reports”