Tell us what doesn't work as it should
oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Noatikl iPad version - apptronica article pending

Postby oldlibmike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi guys,
I was asked to provide a tutorial for Noatikl for iPad for the new Apptronica magazine on Apple's Newstand. I will be basing that a bit on my blog tutorial at http://whitherwalter.blogspot.com.

A few points that I'll have to cover though are that under iOS7, the current release is very unstable. I am in the habit of saving my work after every additional voice is added because at some point (often when editing patterns), the app will crash and any work between saves will be lost. This is frequent enough that your reviews are really going down on the app store.

That said, other negative reviews are from folks who really just "don't get" the entire concept. Can't do too much about that problem - its on the other end of the iPad :)

I hope there are some stability releases pending. In particular:

1. Stability - the app crashes and crashes often and this is on the latest iPad Air - nothing else running and plenty of CPU
2. Tempo synced LFOs in Partikl (still happens - old bug!).
3. Audiobus rarely works - this is not a big deal for me since I don't use Partikl much and usually am driving other synths but for those who pop Noatikl into the Audiobus Source, it doesn't work well - if at all. I've occasionally tried putting it there just to have the record buttons in Noatikl when driving other synths - never works.

On the plus side, there really is nothing like this application on the iPad or Desktop and for generative music, I've never seen any competing product as useful or as deep. My introduction article will try to emphasize how unique an application this is - I just hope that its stability improves so that first time users don't run away screaming.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Noatikl iPad version - apptronica article pending

Postby impete » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:36 am

Hi oldlibmike!

We're not been getting any crash reports through for the iOS version - and I've just double-checked on Apple's developer site, and there are definitely no crash reports listed there for Noatikl iOS.

So what I'd really appreciate from you, if possible, is a couple of crash reports from your device? With luck, from that I should be able to track-down and fix whatever your problem might be ... goodness knows why they're not on the Apple developer site for us to see!

===
How to find the crash logs for the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad version:

Note: Also refer to this article (http://help.getpocket.com/customer/port ... crash-logs).

Sync your device to iTunes. This will copy the crash logs automatically from your device to your computer.
You'll find the relevant app crash logs on your computer in one of the following locations:

Mac OS X:

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<YOUR_DEVICE>

(the tilde ~ in the pathname is a shortcut for your user account name.

To find the log file, open ~/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/ in the Finder
Note: You may have to hold down the option key when using the Go menu in the Finder to open the Library folder (this is needed on Lion and above). e.g. /Users/jdoe/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/John Doe’s iPhone/Tiklbox_2013-01-29-200048_John-Does-iPhone.crashi

Windows 7, Windows Vista:

<drive>:\Users\<YOUR_NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple
computer\Logs\CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<YOUR_DEVICE>>

Windows XP:

<drive>:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_NAME>\Application Data\Apple
computer\Logs\CrashReporter/<YOUR_DEVICE>
===

Looking forward to receiving a couple of logs from you - please mail them straight to me (zipped-up, if possible!) at pete at intermorphic dot com!

Best wishes,

Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby oldlibmike » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi Pete,
Zipped file was emailed. There were 3 logs from last sync.
I think few iPad users will have the patience to send logs though - first impressions are key particularly when you want them to like the program enough to pay for the full version.

Regards,
Mike

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Mike,

Yeah, it is a shame that we're not getting crash reports/logs; without them, we can only assume that the app is stable!

Anyhow: thanks to your first 3 crash logs (and the additional ones you've now sent), I've been able to track-down and fix a crash that could occur as a result of deleting sub-patterns in the pattern editor screen. That fix will definitely be in the next update!

Apart from that: the bulk of the crashes seem to be due to something strange happening in the iOS View layout system; the crash pattern looks to be very consistent, but don't point to any specific problem in Noatikl's code. That is not to say that Noatikl isn't causing the crash, but rather that there is no specific fingerprint in the crash logs pointing to which bit of code in Noatikl might have provoked the problem.

So, if I'm to be able to track that issue down, I'm going to need to be lucky - it might take some time!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi Mike,

More good news - I've also been able to track-down and fix a crash that could occur, if you had an envelope editor open for a voice, went to the design or mix view, and deleted that voice; and returned direct to the Voices tab.

This was revealed by one of your crash logs!

This fix will be in the next update, of course.

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 am

Hi Mike,

On the subject of AudioBus, I've just double-checked Noatikl with AudioBus on iPad 2, and didn't have any problems.
You need to remember to set the AudioBus checkbox in the Noatikl settings dialog, then start Noatikl playing.
Run-up AudioBus, select Noatikl as input, and (say) set Output to your device speaker.
All plays fine for me...?

And finally ... I've just fixed the Tempo-Sync LFO bug in Noatikl iOS. It'll be in the next update!

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”