Noatikl 2 IOS causing iPad to reboot?

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Noatikl 2 IOS causing iPad to reboot?

Postby Loopy C » Thu May 01, 2014 5:59 pm

So, I have purchased/added Noatikl 2 IOS to my iPad Gen3.

I initially set it up with my new iConnectMIDI4+ (via 30 pin connector) but within seconds of pressing play, my iPad would reboot! So I ran it without and it didn't seem to do it, but then running MIDI out via 'Network Session' to my laptop...several hours in it again rebooted my iPad (screen goes black, Apple start menu) so it seems to be Noatikl.

I have run my iPad every day wih many apps and NEVER had this happen with any other app...at first I thought it unique to the iConnectMIDI4+ since that is new and thus reported to them first but now that it has happened without ANY peripheral hardware connected it seems it is Noatikl IOS.

I am running iPad GEN 3 with IOS 7 (newest 7.1.1) but saw it restart also with previous IOS 7 whatever that was.

It seems? the iConnect exasperated the situation but whatever it is happens also without it, given a few hours of running time.

imtim
Site Admin

Re: Noatikl 2 IOS causing iPad to reboot?

Postby imtim » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for letting us know on that. We are readying a Noatikl update that we hope to submit I guess in < 2weeks or so? and that will hopefully address a number of issues. It will also (at long last) include a crash reporter (HockeyApp), so we will have a much better ability at tracking down and resolving issues like this.

Hope that info helps, and we look forward to nailing the pesky little bugs - and feedback on what is going wrong *definitely* helps!

Atb

tim

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks for the reply Tim ;-)

Yeah, a crash reporter will be good...I have a lot of time spelunking into the depths of the OSX system to troubleshoot but must admit, I have absolutely no idea of what to do with a misbehaving IOS app! It already rebooted by itself, that's pretty much all my moves lol :D

I did send a report out to iConnectivity, I will let you know if they reproduce and have anything to say as the iConnectMIDI4+ definitely is nearly immediate and consistently repeatable in causing the problem.

btw, to recap my own Noatikl 2 buglist (OSX Desktop Standalone):

-No 'Tempo Envelope'
-'Sync' not working correctly (either no sync at all or not following transport commands start/stop requiring a manual reset of stop/play of Noatikl depending on OS version and Logic version)
-'Piece Rest' not resting (set to max of 10 but doesn't rest between auto restart of pieces)

Let me know if you need any further write up on above, I reported them a while back and I think they speak for themselves but would love to see them addressed in next update, especially with the extended period of Apple turnaround on updates.

Till then I am having fun exploring 'Wotja' (purchasing the MIDI out was a no-brainer), nice to have the random function! Which meant to ask, did you mean the language to also get shuffled?

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri May 02, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Chris!

Now that we're starting to look again at Noatikl and Mixtikl, we'll be in a position to start addressing issues like those.
They won't be in the first release, but hopefully we'll tidy-up a lot of them in the weeks & months that follow.

The iOS updates will come first - the desktop Mac/Windows updates will follow a while after. We're still working on a few things however, for example adding a MIDI Output option to Mixtikl.

As for Wotja shuffling - not quite sure what you mean there - so I'll do my best to give a sensible answer. :)

We're having a lot of fun toying with the idea of how to use words with music - Wotja allows you to shuffle either at the word or character level (via the Settings screen options). Why? Well, the words and characters - and their order! - determine the melody. So, if you're using Wotja as a MIDI riff generator, it makes sense to alllow jumbling even down to the level of characters, as in that case the meaning of the letters isn't important - what matters is that you find an interesting tune to capture and play with. I hope you find this approach interesting!

We'll no doubt figure-out where to apply a Liptikl approach - whether that is in a separate product for iOS, or as an in-app extension to Wotja, we're just not sure yet! :)

Best wishes,

Pete

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am

Not that I want to derail this thread but I'd be very interested to hear how you are finding life with that iConnect4 after you've spent some time with it.

I have the original iConnectMidi and think its probably the best midi interface I've ever had. I'm not sure what "upgrading" would bring to my setup (haven't really got my head round what the audio passthrough option actually does and if that would be a good thing to have) but I'd be very interested to hear your experiences.

Back to topic, I don't know if its relevant or not, but the default on my iCM is for everything in to be echoed to all midi outs. In stand alone mode that's usually quite useful but it can invite feedback once you add DAWs or synths with soft through/merged outs into the mix. Having said that, I use Noatikl on a v1 iPad via iCM a lot and I can't recall ever having had it fall down on me like that. So your instinct that it might be the danger of new hardware with v1 firmware is probably accurate.

Might be worth syncing your iPad via iTunes and then digging around in the user library on your Mac for the mobile devices crash log. If Noatikl got the chance to write a log before crashing there could be some useful clues in there as to what pushed it over the edge.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri May 02, 2014 8:20 am

Chris,

I'll invite you to join our Beta program for the Noatikl iOS app - that'll include the crash reporting code, and hopefully will show me directly if there are any bugs.

NB: back-up your Noatikl iOS content before using it, via iTunes!

I'll send you a separate mail.

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 pm

impete wrote:...So, if you're using Wotja as a MIDI riff generator, it makes sense to alllow jumbling even down to the level of characters, as in that case the meaning of the letters isn't important - what matters is that you find an interesting tune to capture and play with. I hope you find this approach interesting!

Yes, absolutely...I am big on the concept here. My initial excitement is just to have the creators of Koan/Noatikl engine add to the family of engines...and having the shuffle is awesome. Honestly, I haven't really got a firm grasp of how it is all interacting, I am still at that top level of just trying anything, which will eventually lead to more focused testing as to the affect of different text forms and parameter settings. For now, I have some John Cage writings in there and am happily just jamming with the notion the Cage spirit is in there (in more ways than one?) :)

I only mentioned the 'Language' more as a question...certainly the affect of different languages does sound quite intriguing ;-)

As to Liptikl, I hope the concept, combined with Wotja ideas/mechanisms, does further it's lineage as I always thought the technique not only has fantastic pedigree (Brion Gyson, Burroughs, David Bowie, etc) that deserves a place in modern cyber creative tool boxes, but also for the plain inspiration given the way the mind reads the new arrangements and enters that playful mode of thinking ;-)

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri May 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Umcorps wrote:...I'd be very interested to hear how you are finding life with that iConnect4 after you've spent some time with it...

Well, I was perfectly happy with my Motu 828 mk3/Alesis IO Dock but what the MIDI+4 brings to the table is access to the original digital audio of any IOS device! They use their own 'Audio Pass Through' technology to tap the IOS app audio at it's source so no extra DA/AD when running live audio between external devices ;-)

So far, it's worked fantastic, only had one app so far that did not pass it's virtual MIDI out, and of course this Noatikl reset. And again to make clear, after several hours of play WITHOUT the MIDI+4, using the wireless/Network Session only, Noatikl IOS did same thing so the MIDI+4 just exponentially speeds up it happening but apparently is not the source of it.

Given my weird use/mix of desktops/laptops and IOS, I am hoping this is a great problem solver in both easy, flexible inter-connctions and digital audio summing when wanting to do 'modular' set-ups using all my discreet Apple devices ;-)

As to your mention of the mirroring to all ports, yes, that concerned me though I am only using one port at the moment and am only aware of it via the LED's...definitely need to look at the 'iConfig' to hopefully control that, thanks for mentioning ;-)

I will let you know as I progress (certainly the main affect so far are my app purchases going through the roof!)

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 pm

impete wrote:Chris,

I'll invite you to join our Beta program for the Noatikl iOS app - that'll include the crash reporting code, and hopefully will show me directly if there are any bugs.

NB: back-up your Noatikl iOS content before using it, via iTunes!

I'll send you a separate mail.

Best wishes,

Pete

OK, that's fine...I have done all the in-app purchases but not really built up any work files so it's a good time to beta for me ;-)

Return to “Bug Reports”