Tell us what doesn't work as it should
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Noatikl 2 Desktop Bug List

Postby Loopy C » Fri May 02, 2014 7:26 am

To recap for hopefully the next update:

-No 'Tempo Envelope'
-'Sync' not working correctly (either no sync at all or not following transport commands start/stop requiring a manual reset of stop/play of Noatikl depending on OS version and Logic version)
-'Piece Rest' not resting (set to max of 10 but doesn't rest between auto restart of pieces)

Let me know if you need any further info/specifics on any of these (the two behaviors observed of incorrect sync operation was on a Mavericks/Logic X system and a 10.8.5/Logic 9.1.8 system. In either case ONLY changing Noatikl version within set-up to Noatikl v1 immediately rectified problem.

EDIT: Also, can you please remove 'floating help text'…a user will know these hints after one session and doesn't need to see them blocking interface (ESPECIALLY scripting window text!) thereafter for every session, years and years after knowing these 'Basics' ('Type Text Here' lol" and 'Press Play to Play!!!')
Last edited by Loopy C on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

impete
Site Admin

Re: Noatikl 2 Desktop Bug List

Postby impete » Fri May 02, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for logging these! :)

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:01 pm

In lieu of upcoming update, wanted to clarify the 'Sync' issue I have with Logic and N2.

I realize now that the 'transport' of N2 is revised such as to return to a 'ready to play' state, whereas before it would be stopped but require another press of button (which read 'Stopped) to actually be 'ready to play' at finish of piece (without 'Restart' on). Now, that makes sense and is an improvement for Standalone use BUT, when running with Logic in 'sync', this behavior means Logic loses it's ability to properly re-trigger 'Play' after an initial pass through…does that make sense?

So before (Noatikl 1), you would press 'Play' in Noatikl and it would wait until Logic transport was also initiated to play…thereafter it was locked to 'Play/Stop' so touching Noatikl was unneeded during multiple passes…pressing play/stop in Logic was always locked and controlling play/stop in Noatikl. Now, once initial Logic play-thru is done and play is again pressed, Noatikl 'pops out' of play and Logic no longer has control of Noatikl play/stop without going back to Noatikl and pressing play again.

So either I am not understanding how to use this new behavior with Noatikl 2 to achieve same result with 'Syn' to Logic (continuous remote control of Noatikl without further intervention) or when in 'Sync' Noatikl needs to revert back to previous behavior if possible?

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks Chris, they're all in my list to investigate in the next few days - I've actually just sent you a mail with a bit more detail FYI!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm looking at this now.

So, if I understand correctly, you'd like Sync behaviour to work like this:

1) Noatikl - user sets the Sync checkbox, and set the MIDI Input port.
2) Press PLAY to "Arm" Noatikl ready for MIDI sync playback...
3) Start your DAW playing (e.g. Reaper, Logic etc); Noatikl will start playing (due to MIDI sync)
4) Stop your DAW playing *** you want me to change Noatikl such that at this point, Noatikl "stops", but immediately re-enters "ARM" mode as though you'd immediately pressed play, ready for instant playback again with no intervention required in Noatikl; this is different to the current behaviour, which requires you to press the Play button again to re-arm at this point... ***
5) Start your DAW playing - Noatikl will start playing (due to MIDI sync)
6) When you've really finished with Noatikl, press the Noatikl Stop button.

I've got that working, but won't commit the code change until I'm clear that is what you're looking for!

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey Pete…yes that description seems to be it, this is how Noatikl 1 works which is great, with all the scales and selected rules set to '?' (random), I can load a synth in Logic and run my tempos to taste bouncing audio for each unique run all the while Noatikl is off screen and simply following Logic's start/stop state and entered tempos.

Maybe that's why I was getting the 'note cut-off' at piece end as now when N2 stops it doesn't allow any remaining composed voices to finish, it is like pressing stop at any arbitrary point in composition, whereas before Noatikl 1 knew to stop the composing at 'piece end' but would allow composed voices to naturally finish their prescribed duration?

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:03 am

Great stuff - thanks for the feedback, Chris - I'll get on with the implementation!

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey Guys,

Just got newest Noatikl 2 (2.5.22) installed and tried 'Sync' with Logic 9. Unfortunately, now 'Sync' doesn't appear to work…at all!

I double checked, opening any of my older N1 versions (1.7.1.3, 1.8.2.4) and it locks right up with same Logic session, Noatikl 2 current version just sits there, does't respond at all to start/stop from Logic?

If Mark is around, maybe he can verify?

Thanks in advance

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:57 am

Hi Chris,

Just back from my holiday - much deserved, I might say :) - so will take a look at this soon.

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”