Noatikl 2.5.22 MIDI File Cooker Broken?

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Noatikl 2.5.22 MIDI File Cooker Broken?

Postby Loopy C » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:16 pm

So, I was trying to troubleshoot why the 'Chord' function' was cutting some notes short while working from a 'Pattern' voice and went to the MIDI File Cooker to bounce some MIDI versions to inspect…

For a 300 second, single voice file (with no controllers or other CC generators) it took several minutes! to generate a single 3kb MIDI file!!!

And to top it off, what it created was a corrupted/broken file. Actually, it doesn't seem to indicate it created anything, it sort of just gives up and goes back to default window (shows no files recorded).

I double-checked with a simple file from the built-in template and same thing. I then verified Noatikl 1 still worked properly (it cooked so fast I couldn't even see it!).

Can someone verify?

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
I did finally get a file I could open in Logic but it didn't include the 'Chord' notes that are part of that 'Voice''s rules??? (the whole reason I started down this path to begin with lol :? )
It is a 'Voice' playing a 'Pattern,' with 'Chord' set to generate an 'Interval Within Scale'…'Depth Range' of 2, 67% of the time (with no delay).

It works in realtime (except for it cutting some notes short despite it being generated by a hard-wired 'Pattern' rhythm/duration of long duration) but doesn't appear in the resulting MIDI file that the 'Cooker' takes inordinate time to make.

***Cutting/pasting the 'Pattern' info and 'Voice' parameters into Noatikl 1 the MIDI file does get 'cooked' with the Chord notes correctly and I can now verify that even Noatikl 1 is doing same thing…randomly cutting off Chord notes :(

2nd UPDATE:
It looks like if I adjust the 'Depth Range' down, and then back up in the 'Voice' I copied from Noatikl 2 to Noatikl 1 then problem may actually go away (at least it did for the next 20 'Cook'd' files I generated in Noatikl 1).
Last edited by Loopy C on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loopy C
Platinum

Re: Noatikl 2.5.22 MIDI File Cooker Broken?

Postby Loopy C » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:09 am

See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1959

for any developing info on 'Chord' note cut-offs.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Chris, Pete is currently on summer hols, but should be back soon. He should be able to look into it when he gets back...

atb

tim

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Hey Tim, maybe in meantime you could verify there my recent posted issues just to clarify conditions and symptoms?

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi Chris

If this is *not* a Logic related thing, and you have a test file you can email me with a key specific thing to look for, then I can try, sure.

atb

tim

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 am

Well, just open up any new file using the built-in templates and proceed to 'MIDI Cooker'.

Even simple files take an inordinately longer time than before (use same template in older version of Noatikl to see difference) and don't play correctly in other MIDI apps.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 am

OK, I will try to check that tomorrow. But, assuming it is as you say (and I would tend to accept that if it is that generic / repeatable :) ), then it is defo one for Pete to look into as there is not much I can further add to the discussion / feedback!

atb

tim

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi Chris.

AFAIK the cooker is a real-time cooker, which means it cooks for as long as you play the piece.

Wrt to the other question re broken recordings, see my finding/workaround here:
http://forum.intermorphic.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1959

hth

t

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

imtim wrote:Hi Chris.

AFAIK the cooker is a real-time cooker, which means it cooks for as long as you play the piece.

Wrt to the other question re broken recordings, see my finding/workaround here:
http://forum.intermorphic.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1959

hth

t

I am afraid you are mistaken...MIDI Cooker has ALWAYS been an offline process, just open up previous versions like Noatikl v1 and see. Nearly instantaneous, even when set to create multiple numbers.

I have depended on the MIDI Cooker since day one of Noatikl (I purchased as soon as it was available!), I am VERY familiar with the way it has worked up to Noatikl version 2, trust me on this ;-) Besides, I have Noatikl version 1 right here and it most certainly is offline and processes at the speed of light!

I think you are confusing this with 'Mixtikl' 6's MIDI recording which is realtime?
Last edited by Loopy C on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Just a quick follow-up whilst awaiting Tim's review…I dug out some archived versions of Noatikl and it appears this new, slow 'Cook' behavior started with 'Noatikl Free' (which my version has all the 'purchased in-app features).

So my guess is, this slow-down of the Cooker occurred when 'Partickl' was added to Noatikl making it version 2? (as that was the only real significant feature of N2).

Cutting/pasting the same single voice that takes minutes to 'Cook' in N2 into Noatikl version 1, the process then takes 100ths of a second! (setting it to '16' was still under a fraction of a second whereas it would take many minutes to now do exact same single voice in Noatikl 2 (plus it doesn't even report how many files it 'Cooked' as before…i.e N1 say '16 files recorded', N2 say 'blank'?).

And to be clear, 'Partickl' is unchecked in all of my examples (if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance

Return to “Bug Reports”