Noatikl 2.5.22: Tempo Envelope - Different/Wrong Behavior?

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Noatikl 2.5.22: Tempo Envelope - Different/Wrong Behavior?

Postby Loopy C » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Before, setting the 'Tempo Range' set an initial value to be added to 'Tempo'. Checking 'Change' then enabled the envelope to add a changing value to that initial, STATIC, 'Tempo':

Tempo 60 Tempo Range 60 Envelope 'Normal Curve Up' Envelope Range 60

Noatikl calculates a value of Tempo+Tempo Range, then applies the envelope to that fixed, static initial 'Tempo' according to 'Envelope' type and 'Range' (i.e. some static value 0f 60 + Tempo Range is then slowly incremented by curve from +1 to +60' then back down.

NOW, the 'Tempo Range' appears to add a realtime 'dithering' value to 'Tempo' continuously throughout piece???

In N2 2.5.22, the 'Tempo Range' value is continually dithering via 'Tempo Range' value, ADDING TO the 'Tempo' and 'Envelope' values when 'Change' is checked...even if 'Envelope' and Envelope Range are 'flat' (Center/64) and '0'!

So having 'Tempo Range' set to any value, ADDS RANDOMLY TO Envelope in realtime??? (again, if 'Change' is checked and even if there is no envelope or envelope range)

Was this intentional? Interesting as an option but not how it was before and now a random initial tempo value cannot be produced by Noatikl's 'Tempo' + 'Tempo Range' if a set curve/ramp is desired during play.

imtim
Site Admin

Re: Noatikl 2.5.22: Tempo Envelope - Different/Wrong Behavio

Postby imtim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Chris, Pete is currently on summer hols, but should be back soon. He should be able to look into it when he gets back...

atb

tim

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks Tim, be sure and point to the other issues...MIDI Cooker broken?( and 'Sync' broken he already knows about).

btw, I don't suppose you know how to linearly read through an array and then repeat via lua/scripting? (see my script question in 'Scripting' forum).

I can randomly grab values from my own custom arrays (using 'noatikl_GetRandomFromTo(1,x) but setting up a proper subroutine to read elements in order then reset back to beginning of array to read again from beginning alludes me (not so much conceptually but syntax-wise).

Seemingly a basic 'if/then loop with a x starts at 1 then x+1 until x+ = end of array then x =1 again' but I can't get the syntax to work from what examples I have found.

Anyway, if not Pete please take a look at the scripts forum question when you get back ;-)

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Hey Tim, maybe in meantime you could verify there my recent posted issues just to clarify conditions and symptoms?

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi Chris

I tend not to use the Lua scripting as I am not a programmer (thus I much prefer approaches that do not require programming, and besides, I just do everything else :) ) so I am afraid I am not going to be much use on this one. It will have to wait for Pete :).

atb

tim

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, I find myself in the position of 'want my cake and eat it too!' :)

The 'broken' Tempo Range (which is now a realtime change based on meter/bars when 'Change' is enabled, as opposed to before where it was Piece Start-only regardless of whether 'Change' checked or not) is kind of handy for 'by bar' dithering of exact range, a more 'quantized' version of using the 'Random' envelope and NOT based (stretched-to-fit) on Piece Length.

So to be clear...all that needs to happen to have both of these behaviors available is to add in a separate' enable' button for the 'Envelope', and leave 'Change' enabled behavior as is...two separate buttons, one for 'Tempo Range behavior as is in 2.55.2, and additional and separate way to turn on 'Envelope' which runs on top of and exclusive from 'Tempo Range'. Does that make sense?

It would be great to add in this option (either 'Range' is applied as before, at 'Piece start-only, or as it is now, per-bar during 'Piece') in future versions ;-)

Return to “Bug Reports”