Tell us what doesn't work as it should
MichaCubase
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Midi Signal corrupt on Windows 8/10

Postby MichaCubase » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Midi Signal corrupt on Windows 8/10

I made additional test after my first Bug Report for the VST PlugIn.

-I had created a piece that should compose a 1/4 beat.
-I wrote this to file and the result is 100 percent ok.
-I used the internal synth and it was in sync / on the beat.
-I used now the standalone with virtual midi driver and route the out to a cubase track. Now the crated notes have extremely time shifts (up to 50ms!!!!!!) and the note length are up to 60 percent different to each other. Additionally after 12 beats one bar is missing because noatikl runs to slow.
-I retry the last test with the VST, same issue.
-I did the equal steps with a tool which does in case the same, sync to host and sen midi, and this works well.

I say corrupt because my measurement identify extremely higher differences as outlined in the user manual, it says +/- 5 or 10 ms. I have up to 50 and destroyed note length.

After that I resume the test with reaper: same issue.

Now it could be that this is a Win8 or WinX issue, but other plugins working fine.

The examples which are provided are 40 and 60 bpm. I made my tests with 120 bpm, not so much.

Please could the support contact me because, I can accept 10 ms latency but not missing bars, 10 to 50 ms latency which is different for each not and extremely different note length.

Or someone in this forum has a nice idea what I do wrong?

MichaCubase
Bronze

Re: Midi Signal corrupt on Windows 8/10

Postby MichaCubase » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 am

So, in the meantime (No answer from the support until now)

I used some other tools on my environment which are connected via MIDI with cubase (Maschine, Groove Agent, Liquid Rhythm). All instruments that i used on Windows 7, 8 and 10 which working fine and are exactly on sync. Except Noatikl, additionally the note lenght corruption.

At the moment Noatikl every music stuff over BPM 40 ist to fast for Noatikl on my many tested systems. This is far from the description in the user manual. Now i will try to get my money back via PayPal one reason is: i've got no answer or help from support.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:31 am

Hi!

Thanks for getting in touch. I simply hadn't spotted your mail on the forum, having been very busy on some new development.

Just to note up-front: neither Tim nor I have Cubase; we do our VSTi plug-in testing on Windows using Reaper.

I see that you've tried using the Noatikl plug-in with Reaper as well - it is very surprising that you've seen problems there too.

The fact that you're seeing this behaviour with Noatikl Standalone, is also very puzzling. Have you linked to Cubase via MIDI Sync, to use the Cubase clock, or are you letting Noatikl use it's own clock?

One of the many reasons we have both plug-in and Standalone versions available on Windows, is to allow prospective customers to evaluate both versions before purchase, to find-out which approach works best with their MIDI host (we simply haven't the resources to test on many different plug-in hosts)

If, you found have the plug-in license (but not Standalone), and found that the Standalone version worked fine, and you wished to change your license from the plug-in to Standalone version, that isn't an issue - please simply get in touch with Tim via the contact page on our website.

Incidentally, I presume that you have tried this with both Windows 8 and Windows 10, from the topic title? Hopefully you can clarify that!

With best wishes,

Pete

MichaCubase
Bronze

Postby MichaCubase » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:50 pm

It have testet in standalone and plugin mode (i own both versions). Sync with midi clock from the host. Noatikl starts, stops and changed the tempo for the piece. That means for me the midi connection is corret. I'am Software engineer, and i'am be petty sure that in the standalone mode via a virtual midi port Naotikl cant know if the host is a reaper or a cubase.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 am

Hi Micha,

Thanks for that information.

It sounds as though the MIDI messages are coming-in to Noatikl standalone (via your Virtual MIDI port) with variable timings.
I only mention that, as it could explain why the MIDI clock information seems to be giving you such variable timings.

If you disable the MIDI Sync, are the timings of Noatikl standalone accurate/correct?

You mentioned Windows 8 and 10 in your forum subject - does that mean that you've found the same problems with both operating systems?

The Plug-in version works quite differently, in that the timings then are dictated by the the audio pipeline provided by the host.
It is hard for me to conceive of how that might not be working for you under Reaper!

In the next couple of weeks, I'm scheduled to start looking at packaging-up the latest Noatikl and Mixtikl software for Windows, at which point I'll be in a position to verify that the timings for both products in both Standalone and VSTi form, and fix any issues that I find.
In the meantime, if you can think of any other information that might help my investigation, do please let me know!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:03 am

Hi Micha,

Good news - after a lot of work on this, we've finally been able to create a version of Noatikl with much more stable MIDI output port / virtual cable event timings.

We'll push this out in an update to Noatikl 2, which we hope will come out sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your patience,

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”