Noatikl AU version - many midi length 1 notes generated

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Noatikl AU version - many midi length 1 notes generated

Postby oldlibmike » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:12 pm

I've been working with the latest Noatikl on an i5 iMac with 8GB and Logic Pro X for awhile. One frustration is that when generating a few voices of MIDI, frequently "ghost notes" with a length of 1 are being generated. For example with a chord with 3 notes and a range of 1, often I'll see just one note with 1 or more "blips" - midi notes with a length of 1. I am doing the normal settings to "auto demixby channel", etc. Been using it with Logic for years now but the missing notes are a concern.

This is most frequent with Desktop AU plugin version - slightly less frequent with the stand-along desktop and still less frequent when I pipe MIDI from the iPad version into Logic via an iConnect MIDI interface.

I am doing all I can think of to allow for latency but this seems to be worse than in past releases. For now, my best case weirdly enough is to use the iPad and pipe MIDI in. Still generates the ghost notes, but not as frequently. Anyone else seeing this in Logic? Depending on the instrument, the ghost notes may or may not play.

EDIT - A little more googling, and I see some bugs related toKontakt choking notes. I also was using the Hammersmith piano - an ugly workaround is to use another piano for the recording and then replace it withKontakt afterwards. Might be the problem.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Noatikl AU version - many midi length 1 notes generated

Postby imtim » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:40 am

Hi

I am not quite sure what you mean by a note length of 1? Is that 1 bar, 1 crotchet, 1 Noatikl Time Unit (1/60th of crotchet) or something else? Also, what is the tempo and time signature you are using?

Couple of things to check:
1) Your Velocity/Range and Velocity Change/Range envelopes are set so that you are not creating notes with zero velocity.
2) Chord interval velocity factor is not such that actual note velocity is zero.
3) Are notes being generated with the same time stamp, if so try using Chording Delay Unit value to give them slightly different times and see what happens.
4) PSE polyphony is enough to cover all the notes created, otherwise you will get note stealing (although this prob should not effect things if you are not using the PSE).
5) If you create a new piece from the Follows Voice template and set up simple chording what happens then?

Hopefully something in the above will help you track down where things are happening!

atb

tim

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:04 pm

A little more googling, and I see some bugs related toKontakt choking notes. I also was using the Hammersmith piano - an ugly workaround is to use another piano for the recording and then replace it withKontakt afterwards. Might be the problem.

It's well worth checking that possibility thoroughly.

It's a while since I've used Kontakt with Noatikl but I have less than happy memories from a few years back of wasting several days and a lot of Pete's time on a beta bug hunt that turned out to be entirely down to both Kontakt and EXS 24 not being graceful in handling midi events that have the same time stamp.

It's not a problem for any of Logic's other software synths and I've not seen it in any third party synth AUs either. But both these software samplers had the same problem. From memory I think my issue came to light when a damper pedal message (CC 64) arrived with the same time status as a note on or note off. Kontakt/ESX would then disregard one or other of the messages.

As it was a while back, if it was a bug, it should have been fixed by now. But if its a "feature" of how the samplers work then it could still be an issue.

Edit - It's always worth setting Noatikl's "Articulation" value to something less than 99%. The default setting is to play everything legato where the end of one note and the start of the next are virtually simultaneous Set to 98% the sound will still be heard as legato but there will be a definite gap of a few ms between note off and the next note on. I seem to remember that helped with this particular problem with Kontakt.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:46 pm

imtim wrote:Edit - It's always worth setting Noatikl's "Articulation" value to something less than 99%. The default setting is to play everything legato where the end of one note and the start of the next are virtually simultaneous Set to 98% the sound will still be heard as legato but there will be a definite gap of a few ms between note off and the next note on. I seem to remember that helped with this particular problem with Kontakt.

Good suggestion Mark, thanks!

oldlibmike
Platinum

Postby oldlibmike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:47 am

Hey thanks for the replies! The "length 1 notes" are notes with a duration in MIDI of 1 (using the MIDI event list). They look like very tiny blips on the piano roll and usually aren't heard. I do think thatKontakt might be the culprit from my experimenting. Interestingly, when using Noatikl iPad over the iConnectMIDI I got fewer "blips" than when using the AU version in Logic Pro X. Weird, but perhaps it jitters a little more over the MIDI interface which makes exact time collisions less likely. The blips, by the way are in place of notes that should have durations.

I'll keep experimenting but it looks like the problems may be elsewhere. I'll also play with the articulation - I've done that in past versions of Noatikl, didn't seem to help in this case so far.

As I said, I can put "place holder" instruments in to do the MIDI recording then later replace them withKontakt instruments once done recording.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm pleased to report that we've fixed this issue!

However, we're not yet ready to release the fix, as we're in a development cycle; that said, hopefully it won't be too many weeks until we're ready to release the update!

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”