Temp changes result in missing Note Off data?

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
Sleuty
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Temp changes result in missing Note Off data?

Postby Sleuty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but here goes:

I have noatikl desktop linked to cubase 5 (32b DAW), and linked with loopMIDI port. From here Cubase sends it to a number of hardware synths. As long as I set a fixed tempo before starting Noakitl, it all works grand. But if I manually change the tempo while the piece runs, or enable automated tempo changes, it would routinely not send Note off signals. Obviously this is a problem because for the remainder of the piece that note would ring through whenever polyphony allowed.

Any suggestions?

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Temp changes result in missing Note Off data?

Postby Umcorps » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 am

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Cubase (or Windows) so I can't give a definitive answer but I think its likely your problem is related to a synchronisation conflict between Cubase and Noatikl.

You can check this by installing midi monitoring software (maybe http://www.midiox.com?) and monitoring Noatikl's output port. When I do this on the Mac version I can see note on and note off messages transmitted as expected regardless of how much I play with Noatikl's tempo settings. So I don't think this is likely to be a Noatikl bug - the problem will be happening further down the midi chain.

The issue here is that you can't use Noatikl desktop as a synchronisation source because it doesn't transmit midi clock. To synchronise Noatikl to any DAW, the DAW has to be the master clock. And when Noatikl is slaved to the DAWs clock, its own tempo settings are ignored. Catch 22.

If you want Noatikl to be a master clock, the simplest solution, if you can, is to use the mobile version as they will transmit clock when asked to do so. I do this quite a lot. I prefer to work up a piece on the desktop version as I'm more comfortable with that interface but then flip it across to the mobile version for performance and tweaking.

The other more involved alternatives would depend on how flexible your DAW is when it comes to programming midi reception and the external synchronisation options it has on offer.

One possibility might be to set up the DAW to vary its tempo based on the value of a specific Midi CC. You could then use one midi channel in Noatikl, set to the "Note to CC conversion" strategy to generate CCs that would then cause the DAW to change tempo. Crude and fiddly but a possibility.

If your DAW is capable of syncing to an audio click track and you have a midi synth that can provide loud percussive voices it would be possible to define a continuous Pattern voice in Noatikl that simply provided one bar of 1/32 notes to that synth to give you your click track, the rate of which would then be defined by Noatikl's tempo settings. Fiddly in terms of getting the gain settings right and lower resolution that a midi clock but a lot less crude than using CCs if you have the hardware.

Hope that's of some help.

Sleuty
Bronze

Re: Temp changes result in missing Note Off data?

Postby Sleuty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks, though I am afraid I may have wasted your time a bit. :(

Let me clarify: I am not syncing Noatik to Cubase, Cubase is just sitting in idle mode. All it does is receive the data from Noatikl, and distribute to the different hardware synths. Cubase isn't quantizing anything either, if I record the incoming MIDI its totally unconnected to the tempo track. Which is fine by me, all tempo-choices should be done by Noatikl, and if Noatikl could output to a different MIDI device per voice I wouldnt even use Cubase. I'll check into MIDI monitoring, but as Noatikl is the only thing in the chain actually doing anything differently when the problem arises (the moment of changing tempo) I find it difficulty to see how the problem could arise elsewhere.

Having said that, my knowledge is very limited so my difficulty with that could very well be nothing but an indication of my ignorance. :p

Thanks again1

Return to “Bug Reports”