General questions and comments

Important notices, general tips & info
chuck_starchaser
antispam_b: 2

General questions and comments

Postby chuck_starchaser » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Hello, new here; didn't know what was the proper forum for general questions, so I picked this.

Many, many years ago I heard about Sseyo Koan. What interested me about it was what I read, or misread, regarding its allowing composition in microtonal scales. I almost went and bought it but I downloaded the player, at the time, and started browsing what people had done with it, and nothing sounded too exciting to me, so I lost the initial enthusiasm.

It's been over 10 years now, and a need has arisen in an open source game project I'm involved with as developer. Well, not a need, really; but I really, really want to start producing microtonal music for this project. Harry Partch -style, perhaps. No, not really. I want to give each alien civilization and faction its own scale.

Anyways, I entered sseyo in the address bar and ended up at an ultra-confusing website, with all kinds of products in it. I don't know if they are re-sellers or what. There was an online composition program there, but they asked for full name and the privacy statement didn't look too promising, so I skipped it. There was a 30-day trial composition tool, with a screenshot of its interface, but, #1 it was apparently for configuring generative music, --which I don't want; I want to write my music; and #2 it showed standard musical notes, like C, C#, D ... and no apparent means for adjusting pitch.
Confused and angered, I googled for sseyo koan, and ended up a wikipedia, where I learned that koan had been taken over by intermorphic; and here I am.

So, my questions are:

1) What is this place? I can't tell what intermorphic is about from the front page any more than I could with sseyo. (Too much info and not enough, as is the case with a lot of websites, unfortunately. Lacking the artistic touch of a real website designer. A front page should be terse, concise, clear. Users don't need to see a marginful of testimonials about how marvelous a product is before they know what the product is for. Like what the hell are "Idea Tools"?!?!?! Marketing people are NOT web designers, FYI. Heck, marketing people are usually the most out of touch with any market you can ever find. First thing they do, if given half a chance, is insult the public's intellingence with stupid slogans and terms like "Idea Tools". I mean, do marketing people really think that there's one guy among billions so naive as to take them at their word? If so they are hopeless. If not, then, why bother with slogans and stuff? There is NOTHING about what your products are, or do, in the front page; pure meaningless sloganeering about "ideas". I'm just telling you for your own good. With me, you have the benefit that I already knew about Koan, but if I had landed on your front page just by googling, I would have hit the Back button in less than 70 milliseconds. The purpose of a front page is to give visitors enough information so that they can make a rational decision whether they want to know more and click on links, or not. 99.9% of people who don't get enough --let alone any-- info from the front page will NOT click on links just to try and find it. We figure, if the owners of the website aren't forthcoming enough to put at least some useful info in the front page, probably their products suck.)

2) Do you have the kind of tool I'm looking for? See specification below.

[snip - moved to Noatikl forum]

imtim
Site Admin

Re: General questions and comments

Postby imtim » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi Chuck

First, to clear up about SSEYO.com. We do not currently own or manage that domain to have no input on what the current owners put up there. We are trying to get it back, as we now own the SSEYO trademark, but it is going to take time. The company that got hold of it has populated it with links to products that are nothing to do with Intermorphic. I am sure you have seen this kind of site before, and you know the drill.

Thank you for your views on the homepage, which we take on board. Our product pages give more details about what each product does, and you can find further information there.

Noatikl, our generative music engine, does not facilitate many of the things you are looking for in your list of requirements. I have therefore moved your list to the Noatikl forum in case any kind soul there would be able to help point you in the right direction.

Thanks

chuck_starchaser

Postby chuck_starchaser » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks.

That's really a pity, the story of the domain. Reserving a domain costs so little there's really no reason not to do so early; but if you don't, that's what happens. This is one thing one cannot afford to procrastinate. Squatters are perched there like birds of pray; any new company or product name that comes up in their radar screens, if they see it hasn't been domain-ized, they snatch it.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Sure, but it is not as simple as that. SSEYO used to own the domain SSEYO.com (and SSEYO trademarks), then Tao Group acquired SSEYO took over the domain (and trademarks). Then, and after Tao went into administration it did not pay for the domain to be renewed. Amazingly, the company who now own it managed to get hold of it very very quickly after that (and way way way less than the time you would normally expect from what you read on the internet). Then we acquired, from the owners of the Tao Group assets, the SSEYO trademarks and IP etc. so we are now having to enforce our rights to the domain. We will get it back, and may need to get legal about it, but it wont happen next week.

It would have been so much easier had Tao just paid the domain renewal, and/or the domain had not been allowed to pass to another owner so much quicker than people think can happen.

Return to “General info”