Generative Music 1 playback: Noatikl and Mixtikl comparison?

Important notices, general tips & info
Marty
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Generative Music 1 playback: Noatikl and Mixtikl comparison?

Postby Marty » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 am

I'm new to Intermorphic; but not to Koan, by way of Brian Eno's "Generative Music 1".

I'm interested in purchasing one of the Intermorphic tools for listening to GM1 once again, but I'm unclear about the difference between Noatikl and Mixtikl. I've read the descriptions of each, but still a bit puzzled. Would you shed some light?

Correct playback of GM1 required either the TDK MusicCard, SB32 or AWE32 sound card (which I still have!) all were ISA bus. I believe these cards were required for their unique synth.

So the question is: are either Noatikl or Mixtikl capable of emulating the synth of these cards? If not, any suggestions (short of firing up an old steam-powered ISA bus PC)?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

-- Marty

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Generative Music 1 playback: Noatikl and Mixtikl comparison?

Postby impete » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:21 am

Hi Marty!

I'm new to Intermorphic; but not to Koan, by way of Brian Eno's "Generative Music 1".

I'm interested in purchasing one of the Intermorphic tools for listening to GM1 once again, but I'm unclear about the difference between Noatikl and Mixtikl. I've read the descriptions of each, but still a bit puzzled. Would you shed some light?

I'll try! :)

Correct playback of GM1 required either the TDK MusicCard, SB32 or AWE32 sound card (which I still have!) all were ISA bus. I believe these cards were required for their unique synth.

So the question is: are either Noatikl or Mixtikl capable of emulating the synth of these cards? If not, any suggestions (short of firing up an old steam-powered ISA bus PC)?

Thanks for your time.

If you want to hear Generative Music 1 the way it was intended, you'll simply have to play it on an old-style PC with the appropriate soundcard on it. It'll sound fabulous. :)

A bit of background: Generative Music 1 included a set of encrypted "SKP" Koan files that the Noatikl engine is incapable of loading. For Noatikl to be able to load these files, Brian would have to re-open the original .skd files in Koan, export to text file, and then import them to .noatikl files ... and he'd then have to make them available for Noatikl/Mixtikl. :)

However, Noatikl doesn't have support for the special MIDI controllers that specifically targeted the specific features of the old soundcards that you listed; so any modern reworking of Generative Music would best be done by targeting the Partikl software synthesizer that is built-in to Mixtikl. That would allow pieces to sound the same, on any computer or mobile with Mixtikl sitting on it (Mixitkl includes the capability to play Noatikl pieces through the Partikl synth).

I'd be surprised if GM1 were ever to get "remixed" in this way; but who knows, maybe Brian will one day decide to do something along the lines of a Generative Music 2. That'd be nice!

Hoping this helps, and with best wishes,

Pete

Return to “General info”