Brian Eno in Long Beach, CA!

Important notices, general tips & info
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Brian Eno in Long Beach, CA!

Postby Loopy C » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Sorry, so few people I know seem to even have a glimmer of Brian Eno and his work and art so had to express myself here. A quick 'report':

Just a quick report, the lecture and exhibition made for a great day of inspirations.

77 Million Paintings

'77 Million Paintings' is wonderful in person (I have had the DVD since it came out), such relentless beauty and complexity from simplicity. The colors so pure, like stain glass windows lit by sunlight and of course the multichannel music (this one especially made for this exhibit). We easily spent several hours 'surrendering' (see below)

The Lecture

Though there were many bits in it from previous lectures I have it had the focus of the thinking that led up to '77 Million Paintings' and why we 'need' art. Some quick paraphrased notes:

Asking what 'I' like and importantly why? This thinking about 'why' directs the way to the creative.

-Art as what we don't 'have' to do

-Art as 'transaction'

-Art as 'conversation with context, NOT a singled out entity that somehow possesses it's 'own' worth. Problems with art criticism, Art needs the 'set up' like a joke and it's punchline, punchline alone is most criticisms focus.

-Art as a creative story from the nodes of history as opposed to a continuum of hierarchy and 'one follows other' in time (creative curatorship).

-Art as a 'test' of other possible 'worlds' (The world of 'might is right' = 'Rambo' films lol!), do I like that world, do i want more/less of that world (stylistic choices), new/temporary 'worlds' completely safe from consequence. Making art helps carry ourselves forth into the world we want to live in.

Surrender vs. control

Examples of surrender =

Art
Religion
Sex
Drugs

77 Million paintings is a 'bridge' to something, not a piece of 'architecture' in itself (he doesn't care what 'kind' of bridge he made as an 'architectural value/object judgement', only that it took you somewhere where something new/interesting occurred).

When, why? To 'escape' ourselves as we are, to test being something/somewhere else (leading back to the 'why' of art above).

Just a brief recollection of the 2 hours (plus question/answer session).

Here is the press conference which does contain many quick references to what was in the lecture.

http://www.longbeachculture.org/lbpost/ ... 091809.mp3

imtim
Site Admin

Re: Brian Eno in Long Beach, CA!

Postby imtim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks for the post Chris!

Hope all is going well...

atb, tim

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks Chris - you have too much fun. :)

BTW are you still using that Powerbook? The latest tools from Apple have dropped support for Power-PC processors...

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey guys, hope all is well with you too!

Pete, I did get my new Mac Pro (Leopard 10.5.8/2.66 8 Core Nehalem) and 'froze' my laptop at 10.4.11 so I can enjoy the benefits of both the old (many generative tools that will never see a newer version) AND new worlds :D

I have a copy of Snow Leopard but it was enough to go from PPC/Intel and Tiger/Leopard in one go...I will wait a while before installing SL.

Of course one of the first things I did (was dying to do) was open twenty plus softsynths (of all experimental manner) and noatikl and spent a few days basking in the realtime luxury of multi voice overindulgence! Same thing I have been using noatikl for all along, hbut ave just always had to do it in discreet, offline stages.

Noatikl remains the one app I have open and running EVERYDAY, and am especially re-inspired to find new application for it after Mr. Eno's show. :mrgreen: Hope you guys get to see it at some point (or get the DVD), I would love for some of the basic ideas of '77' to make it into 'Optikl' (77 is a basic noatikl session of random combinations/ very slow fading in/out of four banks of 100 each 'primitives', i.e. non-figurative graphic elements.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Chris,

Well, we've been working like mad on Mixtikl V2.

One particularly cool thing is that it comes with an Internet Plug-in, which means that if you were to wrap-up your sounds using Partikl, then anybody visiting your site with an appropriate browser could hear the piece as it is intended to sound - i.e. generatively!

The Partikl synth is no replacement for your desktop synths (of course), but at least it gives a common denominator for those who are interested in such things...

Did you know that Snow Leopard has a handy optional install, which is Rosetta? This should let you use most (all?) of your old PPC software. I had to install it on my wife's Mac, as the upgrade prevented her printer driver from working... until I installed Rosetta from the DVD, and it magically started working again! :) Shame this isn't installed by default, a seriously useful piece of software for those of us long-time Mac users...!

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Didn't know they kept Rosetta in 10.6.

Unfortunately, as helpful as it is for 'legacy' non-realtime apps, most audio/video programs do not run (especially plug-ins) as they require a through-put beyond the emulation/shell Rosetta supplies.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 pm

What particularly irritates me in MacOS 10.6, is that in Safari, to run our new Mixtikl Browser plug-in you *must* right-click on Safari (in Applications under Finder) and select the 32-bit mode checkbox. Apple have completely broken the way that web plug-ins work in the default deployment of Safari for 10.6 ...

Alternatively, just use Firefox. Which rocks. :)

Things like this really do drive me round the bend. :shock:

Pete

Return to “General info”