Do I have AU or SA? Why no sound?

Generative Music Creator
henrywgc
Silver

Do I have AU or SA? Why no sound?

Post by henrywgc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 am

How do I tell if I have AU or Standalone (for Mac)? - Over the years, I come back to Noatikl after a while and am d***ed if I can find out how to make the silent one sing. I have MidiPipe and do the Midi In / DLS synth thing and then boot up Noatikl. Nothing. Guess I'll just have to wait for Noatikl with the default built-in soft synth. An outcome devoutly to be wished! (If I have AU, can I try switching to SA, pretty please?) Meanwhile, Mixtikl: straight-out-of-the-box wonderful.

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: Do I have AU or SA? Why no sound?

Post by Umcorps » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 am

The AU and VSTi come bundled with the standalone.

If you setup MidiPipe to look like it does below, launch the standalone and then direct Noatikl midi output to use MidiPipe you should be able to hear something.

If you insert AList in the midipipe between the input and the DLS Synth you should be able to monitor the midi data going from Noatikl into the synth. If you can see midi data going in and still can't hear anything coming out there is a problem with your audio monitoring system!

Hope that helps!

henrywgc
Silver

Post by henrywgc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 pm

OK - thanks, but this is what I have been doing. I don't hear anything. Where should I be seeing the MIDI data with Alist? I don't see anything. Question is, will any of this work with Noatikl AU? I still can't figure out if I have AU: does it say this anywhere?

Umcorps
Platinum

Post by Umcorps » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:40 pm

If you drag and drop AList into the Midipipe between the input and the DLS synth and highlight it when you start Noatikl playing back you should see the note data scrolling by as it is generated.

Looks like this...

henrywgc
Silver

Post by henrywgc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks for your forbearance with this. I think I have all set as you describe. No MIDI data scrolling by. What could be the problem? I don't think I have anything weird in my Audio setup: IAC driver is online; built-in output set for audio output. What is 'Sunflower' BTW? In Noatikl I have 'MidiPipe Input 1' set as Midi Output. I see now that 'Standalone' is bundled with AU. Flummoxed (as so often with Noatikl).

Umcorps
Platinum

Post by Umcorps » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:19 pm

henrywgc wrote:Thanks for your forbearance with this. I think I have all set as you describe. No MIDI data scrolling by. What could be the problem?
No worries :)

OK then there are only two possibilities. Either Noatikl isn't transmitting midi or the output is getting diverted somewhere else.

If Noatikl is set to play it will definitely be transmitting midi so, as long as you see the voice type flashing in Noatikl (which denotes midi transmission) the only remaining possibility is that something is interfering with the midi flow. You say the IAC driver is online. If you are using MidiPipe I suggest you try deactivating the IAC. You don't need it with MidiPipe and I suppose its possible that its doing something odd under the hood. Take it out of the equation.

Once you've done that, relaunch MidiPipe and check that the Midi input at the top of the pipe says MidiPipe Input 1 (as in the 1st screenshot). Put AList after it and the DLS synth after that. If you still don't see any midi activity after that when Noatikl is playing back then I am officially baffled.

Sunflower I don't recognise. Do you mean SoundFlower? That's a virtual audio device that allows you to hijack audio streams a route them to various outputs. It shouldn't be affecting anything related to midi.

henrywgc
Silver

Post by henrywgc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks very much! - it's fixed. I did disable the IAC driver, but then I noticed that the setting for 'Midi In' in the MidiPipe wasn't for Midi Input 1. Voila!

Umcorps
Platinum

Post by Umcorps » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:05 am

That's great. :D

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Post by impete » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Mark - many thanks. :-D

henrywgc - we hope soon to start work on extending Noatikl to allow it to work "out of the box" with the Partikl synthesizer. This will allow users to get sounds straight away without first having to hook-up MIDI ports etc. Of course, we'll still keep-in those MIDI port options too. :)

Best wishes,

Pete