News night with Eno

Generative Music Creator
j0hnny
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

News night with Eno

Post by j0hnny » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Jeremy Paxman interviewed Brian Eno on Newsnight last night to discuss music and art creation during struggling economic times.

They didn't really talk about any one subject in great depth, but Eno had some intelligible and interesting thoughts to put forward to the blunt and non-creative mind that is Paxman.

I actually later had a dream where Noatikl came in a large cup (think McDonalds large size carton) in the form of a white liquid.  Noatikl connected to my computer via a straw (a straw to USB converter).

Anyway...The discussion turned towards the subjects of sharing and community which is very much a major direction of the current music communities spurred on by growth of the internet as well as the open-source and handmade music culture.

Talking about the future of music, Eno used the gardening metaphor to describe creating generative music.  Even though it has been many years since Koan was first introduced and Eno released 'Generative Music', I personally agree that generative musical forms are one way forward in the evolution of music itself, as they can add real interesting variations in compositions that arise out from the mundane an ordinary.

Mobile platforms and devices like the iPad are certainly a big step in that direction with some super intuitive applications for generating music.

I created this piece using the iPad app called Sound Cells.  Extremely simple app, but I was able to create this piece within a couple of hours (with some beautiful results).  I performed five takes and couldn't replicate this one again which shows (as a reletively shallow app) that you can produce some individual/unique results.

http://snd.sc/qtyT3z

I must say that it would be great to see an evolution in Noatikl out of the text based environment into a graphical or modular GUI like that of Bidule, Reaktor and TouchDesigner...or just into a more visual and intuitive interface.   It looks to be a necessary evolution in order to be accessible to the wider audience currently available on desktop and mobile platforms.

For the moment i must say I'm content being one those enthusiasts that like getting their hands dirty for the love of getting out into the garden with the chance of growing something truly special.

Best of luck to Tim and Pete...I hope the market proves fruitful in these uncertain economic times and I look forward to using and seeing further development of Noatikl in the future.

Johnny

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: News night with Eno

Post by impete » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Johnny,

Ah, shame I missed that - thanks for pointer, I'll look it up on BBC iPlayer - Brian Eno is always great to listen to!!

The gardening metaphor is a good one - I've been using that for years to help explain our tools to people - probably to Brian too at some point!

All I can say is - from what you've written - I think you're *really* going to be excited by Mixtikl 5 ... we're just putting the fine polish on this, and hopefully it'll be released within a month. It is a synthesis of all that we've done to date, and I think it definitely exceeds the sum of its parts. I do so hope that it generates some interest far and wide!

Once Mixtikl 5 is out, we're straight on to Mixtikl 6, and Noatikl 2. Amongst other things, Noatikl 2 will - in theory! - include the Partikl synth from Mixtikl, as the default output device. We also have plans to "gui it up", but that'll take some time.

On a separate note, Liptikl just arrived on the Mac App store. We'll be bringing Mixtikl and Noatikl there in due course, which will help people discover our generative tools.

We're very excited by where we're going, and we're delighted you're along with us on the journey!

Best wishes,

Pete

j0hnny
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Post by j0hnny » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 am

Its great to hear you guys are moving forward...and with speed!

I look forward to seeing the updates.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Post by impete » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks j0hnny!!

Best wishes,

Pete