Tell Noatikl when a voice should first be heard

Generative Music Creator
eenixon
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Tell Noatikl when a voice should first be heard

Post by eenixon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm

I've searched the FAQ and read the guide's material on Envelopes and Velocity as well as tried some things, but I've failed.

I want to delay the start of one of the voices in my piece for either an approximate or determinate amount of time. E.g., 45 seconds from the beginning. Similarly, I'd like to be able to silence a voice for periods during the piece -- turn it on and off and, hopefully, any following voices too.

Is there a way to do this using the Object/Parameter View settings?

Thanks. ...edN

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Tell Noatikl when a voice should first be heard

Post by Umcorps » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:32 am

Welcome!

You need to use a script.

Try the two in this thread for starters.

http://forum.intermorphic.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=753

eenixon
Bronze

Post by eenixon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Thank you, Umcorps, both for the "Welcome" and for the pointer to the script.

I hadn't started to look at scripting yet; will do so now, given these snippets don't seem _too_ obtuse.

To solve the immediate problem,I was considering the use of a pattern sequence containing appropriately placed and timed rests, but hesitating because I don't yet understand what constraints are imposed wrt Fixed Pattern voices in contrast to Rhythmic. On the other hand, one can like the notion of enhanced control of the pitch and rhythm sequences via patterns if you're coming at the piece from a serial(esque) starting point.

Of course, I presume scripts do not preclude patterns. So it's all good. Thanks again.

...edN

Umcorps
Platinum

Post by Umcorps » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:51 pm

eenixon wrote: I hadn't started to look at scripting yet; will do so now, given these snippets don't seem _too_ obtuse.
I'm scriptophobic but, yes, even I don't find those too daunting. :D

Just noticed that you mentioned follow type voices. You'll need to mute those independently, assuming they are not sharing the same midi channel as the pattern voice you want to mute. Muting does what it says - it just mutes the output. It doesn't stop the voice composing so a following voice would still keep on doing its thing regardless.

To solve the immediate problem,I was considering the use of a pattern sequence containing appropriately placed and timed rests
If you want/need that kind of clearly defined structure and are using Noatikl in conjunction with a DAW, I often find it quicker and easier to use the DAWs mix automation to provide the structure and leave Noatikl to deal with the notes only. Just draw in the fades and mutes in the DAWs timeline instead. Or use a combined approach where you draw the shape of the mix in the DAW but also allow Noatikl to introduce some uncertainty to the proceedings. There's usually more than one way of doing things with Noatikl. Adds to the fun.

On the other hand, one can like the notion of enhanced control of the pitch and rhythm sequences via patterns if you're coming at the piece from a serial(esque) starting point.
One of the many things that keeps me hooked to Noatikl is the way you are free to decide how much control to exert or relinquish in relation to the final outcomes. To paraphrase a well-known generative artist, its all about degrees of surrender.