Generative Music Creator
j0hnny
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: Noatikl 2!

Post by j0hnny » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Good luck Pete.

P.s. midi file import for patterns would be great!

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Post by impete » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:33 am

That *will* happen at some point, but probably not in the very first release! ;)

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Post by Loopy C » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Pete, would it PLEASE be possible to fix the 'auto restart' in last release of Noatikl...it only got broke in 1.8.4 and as it has always worked up to that point AND Noatkl 2 will not be compatible with Leopard shouldn't it get priority over anything else as last Noatikl 1 release?

Thanks in advance.

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Chris,

To get you a fix for that, I'll probably have to cut you a custom pre-release "special custom build" of Noatikl 2 for 10.5 ... however, the Noatikl 2 code is too unstable for that at the moment, so please mail me in a couple of weeks and I'll re-check the state of things!

Just to clarify: the code for this got broken by a huge jumble of changes for Mixtikl 5; unrolling that, simplifying and testing was a huge chunk of work and is bound-in heartily to the Noatikl 2 code line.

On the bright side, assuming I can cut you a working build - you should see some interesting stuff in there. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Post by Loopy C » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 pm

impete wrote:Hi Chris,

To get you a fix for that, I'll probably have to cut you a custom pre-release "special custom build" of Noatikl 2 for 1.5

Pete
Is that supposed to be "10.5", referring to Leopard in your text above?

If so, cool...I will check with you in a few ;-)

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, my typo - I'll fix it. :)

Pete

Ben
Gold

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:34 am

making the UI easier to use, and easier to conceptualise
Nice! I think also the GUI and interaction between the different voice-type are sometimes difficult to grasp for the newcomer.
Why not desactivate (but keep the values) the un-needed options when a voice type is changed?
Another thing to thing about (but i guess every user may have its opinion): are the knobs really needed? I always type the value. Perhaps an option to change the GUI and activate or not the buttons.
Perhaps a good way to act is like the musoft builder's amg http://www.musoft.com/html/amg_intro.shtml where you assign vectors to voices parameters (notes -velocity - ...). Of course Noatikl and this program have not the same purposes but they share some common philosophy I think. And it's easier to see which vector ("rules"?) apply to each voice in AMG.

The most important features to keep for me is that Noatikl can run from a USB stick and keep the xls like grid interface.

Just My 2c. If you need some beta tester on WIN7 64bit with vst and/or physical synth, just count me in.

Keep on with the good work.

Ben

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback!

As luck would have it, we're quite close now to releasing Noatikl 2 - we're basically going through a polishing phase, and reworking the documentation.

The revised UI is a lot more "graphical", but retains the "spreadsheet" for parameters - interesting to read that you like that, I know it is useful when you know your way around, but always does feel a bit "technical" to me and probably intimidating for new users!

We've reworked Noatikl to the point where it opens-up a lot of options for us, and I think we'll be able to take Noatikl 2 a long way in tandem with Mixtikl 6... I hope you like it!

Best wishes,

Pete

Ben
Gold

Post by Ben » Mon May 07, 2012 9:41 am

we're quite close now to releasing Noatikl 2
Hi Pete,

What's your definition of "close"?
I'm very excited by all the annoucements :D

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Ben,

We too share your excitement. :)

"Close" means: close!
- release masters created for Windows (standalone & plug-ins) and Mac (plug-ins), hopefully to be available within the week; as usual, there is a 30-day evaluation period before you'd need to purchase a key. If (for some reason) you're not sure that you want to invest in this version, be sure to keep hold of your old Noatikl version somewhere!
- we're intending to release the Mac standalone version through the Mac App Store; we're in the currently in the queue for review (there is no telling how long it'll take to get passed...!)

It is interesting looking back at the first release of Noatikl, in December 2007. Such a long time ago! I visited the London Science Museum yesterday, and saw Generative Music 1 and Koan Pro on display at the 'Oramics' exhibition, which was a bit humbling and rather nice. I really must post some photos! It was nice to reflect that the "DNA" of Koan is still alive, and is still being taken forward, with the next release being so very close!

It has taken a very long time to pull a major new Noatikl release together - resurrecting Mixtikl out of the ashes of miniMIXA has taken such a huge effort for both Tim and I, and developing the enhanced UI for Noatikl & re-setting the development trajectory of both products was pretty challenging. However, the time is now right for this, we've now successfully aligned the two products, and will be developing them both in tandem from here-on.

As always, I wish we had more time and resource to have put-in more features, but we've done what we've been able to do and I hope that you like it!

Our near-term focus for Noatikl includes bringing it to mobile (iOS and Android), and we have a lot of ideas for improving and extending both Noatikl and Mixtikl in the near/medium/long term now that we've reached this point. And we're still excited about what we're doing. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

earthmuse
Platinum

Post by earthmuse » Mon May 07, 2012 1:50 pm

pete

i'm a little confused reading this thread ... are you charging for this update? and if so, how much? i thought the license was perpetual??

imtim
Site Admin

Post by imtim » Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 pm

earthmuse wrote: i'm a little confused reading this thread ... are you charging for this update? and if so, how much? i thought the license was perpetual??
Hi Jim

I thought I should probably jump in and answer this one. Our licences are perpetual in the sense that if you purchase a licence for a major version (e.g. Version 1) then you get all V1.x updates for free and can continue to use that software for as long as you like. Our policy (like for other desktop software developers) has been that major new versions of our software (e.g. Version 2) are a "paid for" upgrade, and you only need to spend further if you want the new major version. There is no compulsion upon any customer to upgrade to a new major version.

There is always an exception to every rule it seems, and in our case that has been Mixtikl. Mixtikl has been mobile focused right from the off, and as the Apple App Store does not allow developers to charge for upgrades we kind of just fell into that way of thinking for the desktop version, too, i.e. lots of free upgrades from Mixtikl 2 right up to Mixtikl 5.

In our experience the mobile world seems to impacting upon the desktop world more and more, so we are continuously monitoring what is happening and trying to adapt to changing market conditions and expectations. Certainly it seems that many people now expect all mobile updates to be free, and I am sure this expectation will try to spill over into desktop apps, too.

However, free updates simply do not pay for further development work and I think that mobile developers who do continue to develop and extend their apps are now realising that you cannot rely on selling into an infinite market. And, for tools, in-app-purchase may not necessarily be the right or only route.

So, after a lot of thought, we have finally decided to bring into play a new, simpler model that takes from both mobile and desktop worlds. We are doing it because, simply put, if we don't change our model, it makes it much harder for us to justify developing major new versions and features.

We will release details of how this impacts Noatikl 2 in the coming weeks, and we hope you will find it acceptable. We know won't be able to please absolutely everyone, but we hope we will please the majority who should find it straightforward and understandable!

hth

tim

earthmuse
Platinum

Post by earthmuse » Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm

hi tim

thanks for your reply. since you seem to be getting so close to this major release, can you begin to share some of the enhancements with the community that will make this a major release? as you know, many of us have been waiting for this for a long time, and contributed dozens of suggestions from a user perspective.

thanks
jim

imtim
Site Admin

Post by imtim » Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Jim

Thanks for your continued interest in our products; we really do appreciate it. I also appreciate how frustrating it can be when things don't move as fast as you would hope they could. But, we are not a team of 10, and we really do work hard at all this - it just all takes time.

Anyhow, the good news is that we *hope* to release Noatikl 2 by the weekend some time. The first versions to be available will be the versions available from our website, these being the Windows version and the Desktop Audio Plugin versions (Win/Mac). The Mac version will follow once Apple have approved it. Because of that and so as not to spoil the fun, I am going to ask if you can wait until then to find out what it is - it is only a few days now to wait, after all. :)

Noatikl 2 is the start of the V2 product cycle and so won't contain everything people will want or hope for. That is always the case for software as there are always competing priorities and there are always going to be things that get bumped to future major versions. However, we believe Noatikl 2 does represent a big and exciting step forward for Noatikl, and we will be adding further features during the V2 product cycle as well as making further improvements.

We think that most, if not the vast majority of people, will find the changes we have already made in Noatikl 2 will make a big difference to the results they can get from Noatikl and the enjoyment they can have with it.

Anyhow, let's wait to the weekend for more.... and then see how Noatikl continues to develop in 2012.

atb

tim