Bit disappointed with Noatikl 2

Generative Music Creator
splattimer
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Bit disappointed with Noatikl 2

Post by splattimer » Tue May 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I'd have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with the latest release as it's doesn't seem to be quite as radical a rewrite (from a user perspective) as I had hoped. The biggest area that I was hoping to see addressed - ie more user friendly - doesn't seem to have improved much. I'd really hoped for better documentation, more tutorials and a more intelligible GUI. I'm still unsure about how scale/harmony rules work and relate to each other and I think this should have been addressed.
My other point regards your change in pricing policy. Although I totally understand your reasons for this change, I can't help feeling a bit stung by this. I own Noatikl, Mixtikl desktop and a few Tiklpaks and with this new release find myself a bit left out. First there is no loyalty discount, next the Tiklpaks I own have now been added to Noatikl and finally all the functionality that I wanted Mixtikl for (ie wavs, loops, Partikl synth) have all been added as well. Whilst this is a good deal for many - it does mean that I've sort of wasted my money a bit.
Don't get me wrong, I still really like Noatikl and I will be buying the plugin version (the only product it now makes sense for me to own out of the ones I've already bought) but I do hope the V2 cycle will include lots more info, tutorials, more complete manual etc. Also, although I appreciate why you have changed your pricing policy, I would warn against moving the goalposts on a regular basis as this is likely to loose you support.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Bit disappointed with Noatikl 2

Post by imtim » Tue May 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi splattimer

Thanks for taking the time to post. We try really hard to make people happy, and that, after all, is one key side of developing software - you want people to like what you do. So, we are sorry to hear you are a bit disappointed. We don't like to hear that people are sad. :(

Yes, we can hear where you are coming from wrt the user interface, but to get this release out now we had to spend most of our time on the under-the-hood surgery of integrating Partikl (which was a massive, but essential, first step in the product cycle). We could have waited another few months before releasing, and focused more on the interface in the interim, but we felt that where it is now will help more people get more out of it than they could before.

Yes, we will be updating Noatikl 2 regularly over its product cycle, that is our plan. And, the NT2 work is a big step along the road to a mobile version of NT, hopefully later this year.

We have reworded our statement on our new pricing plan to make it clearer and more understandable wrt the market changes happening around us and why we have to do it, and I suggest having a quick read : http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/noatikl/faq.html#31.

We try not to change goalposts often, but markets do change and sometimes we have no option but to change with them. Believe me, as a small niche developer we agonise over these decisions to try to do our best for our customers (new and old) whilst balancing many, many factors. Like all developers, we also have to experiment with models as well as new features, it is a necessity of staying alive (i.e. we tried IAP in Mixtikl and it was not that successful at the time so we changed our approach, but we may try it again later, who knows!).

FYI, there are two kinds of Tiklpaks in Mixtikl: those included with Mixtikl [built-in], and either IAP or webstore purchasable Tiklpaks (e.g. the Audio Loop Collections). The Audio Loop Collections it sounds like you bought from the webstore are not included with Noatikl but you can use them in Noatikl (although, as loops, they are best suited for use in Mixtikl).

Noatikl is not a mixer, and does not have cell sequencing, and so is quite different from Mixtikl. Noatikl is the big brother of Mixtikl if you will, and is all about creating Noatikl files (with Partikl sounds, now) whereas Mixtikl is primarily about mixing Partikl files with audio loops as well.

Thanks for the feedback, and hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Pete and Tim

splattimer
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Post by splattimer » Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 am

Thank you for your response - I totally understand your position and I also believe that moving to an annual paid update strategy with one price for all is probably a sensible route for you to go. However, the pak I bought was GenElements 1 which I believe is now included with Noatikl (?) and one of the main reasons I got Mixtil was the Partikl synth which is now included. Don't get me wrong, I got what I paid for fair and square - I just felt I had to express my feelings on the matter.
Noatikl (and Mixtikl) are still great and I will continue to support Noatikl - as I said I do still intend to purchase Noatikl plugin in the near future. I would really like to see some more development in Noatikl 2 - particularly in the ease-of-use department (I'd also love to see Mixtikl's cell sequencing incorporated into it's bigger brother!). Of course, none of this will happen without customer support so I don't intend to abandon it now.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Post by impete » Wed May 16, 2012 7:10 am

Many thanks splattimer!

We're also working hard to bring Noatikl to mobile - the heavy lifting we've done on the UI reworking, and building-in sound generation capabilities, should hopefully bring Noatikl to both iOS and Android before the year end!

Best wishes,

Pete