Brian Eno's 'Generative' Album

Generative Music Composer
Loopy C
Platinum
antispam_b: 2

Brian Eno's 'Generative' Album

Postby Loopy C » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am

I was listening to an old interview with Brian Eno (from what is available on YouTube) and in one heard some interesting 'clues' to the rules Brian was using in Koan back then in his work (interview was right before release of album when you guys where discussing future options such as a 'freeze' and metalevel navigation/generation of deeper options such as a 'brighter', 'darker', etc way to randomize/mutate aspects of the current peice).

Is there anyway to explore any of his technical approach further? I know the album was released for Koan PC, I would love to have further insights to how he formulated his rule sets, what could you guys suggest as possible sources?? I assume the album is no longer available in any form??? Some choice screenshots maybe?

Thanks in advance.

impete
Site Admin

Re: Brian Eno's 'Generative' Album

Postby impete » Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

Hi Chris,

If I remember correctly, the approach that was used "way back then" by both Brian and other Koan artists, was to use lists of parameter values, in order to give more variation in (for example) sounds or rules parameters every time the piece played.

In Noatikl, we replaced the "random selection from a list of values" approach with the use of scripting, which is far more flexible in terms of what can be achieved.

The software is no longer available, and required a Creative Labs SB32/AWE32/AWE64 soundcard - and was on display for a year a while back, at the London Science Museum behind a glass case as part of the Onamics exhibition, along with Koan Pro! :)

Tim recently updated the information page, here is the link. I don't think we have any screenshots, other than what is on the box shot!

http://intermorphic.com/sseyo/koan/generativemusic1/

Best wishes,

Pete

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Thu May 01, 2014 2:35 pm

impete wrote:Hi Chris,

If I remember correctly, the approach that was used "way back then" by both Brian and other Koan artists, was to use lists of parameter values, in order to give more variation in (for example) sounds or rules parameters every time the piece played.

There was also a lot of micro controller action going on I believe. They are still there in Noatikl.

The software is no longer available, and required a Creative Labs SB32/AWE32/AWE64 soundcard - and was on display for a year a while back, at the London Science Museum behind a glass case as part of the Onamics exhibition, along with Koan Pro! :)

It's Oramics.

I really don't want to think too much about what Onamics might involve. :mrgreen:

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Fri May 02, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks for the insights guys ;-)

Serendipitously, I just listened to both CD's today (as shared via youtube as a static single-run version?).

Gives me some ideas (see my post in 'Tips' for my 'accidental random values' using scripts. I suppose there is a more straight forward way through scripting language to directly call a random selection but I have not learned the scripting that well as many times what seems should work just doesn't (see my post on trying to get a 'Hyperinstrument' to listen for MIDI CC's for instance...)

Is there a 'go to' guide to the version/syntax you are using?

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri May 02, 2014 8:13 am

Hi Chris,

Is there a 'go to' guide to the version/syntax you are using?

Only what we've provided through the documentation pages, and through examples that are accumulating in the forums.

Noatikl scripting is an optional approach we've provided for power users to do stuff that would otherwise be impossible with Noatikl. We have to rely on the community of Noatikl 'scripters' to help each other out with the scripting, as for us to directly support users in the area of scripting has proven to be *incredibly* time consuming. I think we've done enough to have kick-started it, and occasionally help out directly - but we haven't got the bandwidth to work much on it, at this point in time!

Hoping that makes sense, anyhow. I fully appreciate how incredibly useful some Noatikl users find scripting, and I'm also sure that they feel a little bit out on their own when using it. It is a way we've provided to allow people to go "off piste" with Noatikl - so it can be exciting to play with, but also challenging!

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Noatikl”