Pre Purchase Advice - Desktop Standalone or VST for Ableton

Generative Music Composer
prupert
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Pre Purchase Advice - Desktop Standalone or VST for Ableton

Postby prupert » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi

I'm looking to buy Noatikl but can't work out whether to get the Standalone of VSTi version. I use Windows and Ableton Live. I've got both versions working, so I'm trying to figure out the advantage of one over the other.

Can anyone with experience explain the benefit of using one version over the other?

Since I am using Ableton, which doesn't natively support the MIDI routing required to work easily with the Noatikl VST - it seems I would be best placed getting the Standalone version. It also seems Ableton doesn't seem to cope well with saving the settings for multiple versions of the VST version in an Ableton set. But I just wanted to check I wasn't going to make life harder by going down the Standalone route instead of the VST route.

Cheers

Rupert

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Pre Purchase Advice - Desktop Standalone or VST for Able

Postby Umcorps » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Rupert,

I'm not at all up to speed with Ableton but, in general terms, if my primary focus is on the midi side of things, I've always preferred working with the standalone version of Noatikl.

Conceptually, its the same as having a multichannel midi control surface so its usually simpler to set up in a DAW and a lot easier to troubleshoot.

If you want to use the Partikl synth regularly then the choice is less clear cut. If you think you will want to record the audio output from Noatikl regularly along with other software synths, the plug-in versions are probably more useful to you. The advantages of having all your audio in one place just about outweigh the hassle of getting VSTi hosts to behave themselves with a midi generating plug-in.

prupert

Re: Pre Purchase Advice - Desktop Standalone or VST for Able

Postby prupert » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Umcorps

Thanks for the reply and point of view. Sounds like both are useful in differing situations - so given the discount on offer, I am edging toward plumping for both - best not to rule out an option.

Thanks again.

Rupert

Return to “Noatikl”