questions about saving custom settings in noatikl

Generative Music Composer
josefk
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

questions about saving custom settings in noatikl

Postby josefk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi! I’m brand new.
Actually I am kind of old, but I only recently bought the iOS iPad bundle and Noatikl won’t let me get anything else done now.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I have some questions about saving settings so that I can use them across different pieces without having to copy/paste every single object from one piece to another to another to another--I tend to create iterations of nearly the same thing for a while, so user presets are something of an obsession:

1. Is there a way to save scales so that they show up on the dropdown list for scale rules? Any other kinds of rules would be useful to be able to save also; but I like to work with scales even more esoteric than the ones stored in the app.

2. That really is the main question, but there are other things I would like to be able to save for later menu appearances, like presets for PSE sound modules and envelopes of all sorts. Are there user preset menu places for any of these things? Could there be? :)

3. I don’t know if this is a related question or not: what is a .partikl file? What does it contain? I have looked in the Data and Application folders of Noatikl but have not seen any files with this extension. I am wondering how much information can be moved around in such files--the name suggests to me that they hold PSE settings or something related to PSE settings. Am I right?

4. Oh, one other thing that is a little more complicated: I am trying to implement something like a Markov chain for generating notes--where a note choice determines which of two or more pools of notes will serve as choices for the next note, and so on for some arbitrary number of notes.

Last night I tried to do this using Follow notes, and it works to an extent, but it does not seem like I can make each note decision exclusive: that is, if two Follow notes each have a 50% of playing, there is no way to ensure that at least one and only that one is chosen. The piece sounds really nice as it is, but it is not quite where I want it to be yet. Hints? It is not immediately obvious to me how, say, Pattern phrases might help.
For all of the above, I can do very geeky things if need be: my iPad is jailbroken (am I supposed to say that out loud..?) and I have no fear of editing any application/preferences files that I can actually open. And yes I always work with a copy! :)

Thank you for the very interesting apps and thank you for the price break on the iOS bundle and thank you for any light you might be able to shed on any of these questions.

I have to go make some noises now.

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: questions about saving custom settings in noatikl

Postby Umcorps » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:55 am

Happy first post day!

josefk wrote:
That really is the main question, but there are other things I would like to be able to save for later menu appearances, like presets for PSE sound modules and envelopes of all sorts. Are there user preset menu places for any of these things?

You can save PSE synth and effect chain definitions directly. They are stored with all the standard synth presets. In IOS versions, when you are viewing a synth definition, tap on the file share icon on the far right of the lower menu bar and select "save" from the menu.

For saving scale and other custom rules, all I do is save entire noatikl files that contain just those rule settings to act as personal templates. I have a bunch of those that I can just load as a start point for whatever I'm planning to do. The advantage of doing this is that you can include your preferred settings for many other aspects of Noatikl, not just scale rules and the like.

The only thing you have to beware of with that approach is that I don't know of a way to write protect these files so its a really good idea after loading a template file to save it immediately under a different file name before you get engrossed and forget to do that later :)

3. I don’t know if this is a related question or not: what is a .partikl file? What does it contain? I have looked in the Data and Application folders of Noatikl but have not seen any files with this extension. I am wondering how much information can be moved around in such files--the name suggests to me that they hold PSE settings or something related to PSE settings. Am I right?

Yep! They are the synth/effect chain definitions. I can't remember offhand where they live in the IOS file system but it doesn't really matter. Noatikl knows where they are and saves your custom definitions in the same place as the standard presets. The files only make sense in the context of the PSE so there isn't much reason to access them any other way.

4. Oh, one other thing that is a little more complicated: I am trying to implement something like a Markov chain for generating notes--where a note choice determines which of two or more pools of notes will serve as choices for the next note, and so on for some arbitrary number of notes.

Last night I tried to do this using Follow notes, and it works to an extent, but it does not seem like I can make each note decision exclusive: that is, if two Follow notes each have a 50% of playing, there is no way to ensure that at least one and only that one is chosen. The piece sounds really nice as it is, but it is not quite where I want it to be yet. Hints? It is not immediately obvious to me how, say, Pattern phrases might help.

I don't think pattern phrases are the droids you are looking for.

It *might* be worth seeing if you can lever the Chords parameter to do what you want. If voice 1 has a chord depth of 2 with a 50% probability you can use that to deliver one or more subsequent notes according to whatever chord strategy you use. Follow voice types can be chorded like any other voice. So it might be worth exploring there to see if a mixture of the two approaches can get closer to what you want to do.

The main limitation is that the notes of a chord (however broken it might be) are secondary to the initial note composed by the voice. So they aren't "seen" by a Following voice. Meaning if voice 1 plays a chord, and voice 2 is set to follow voice 1, voice 2 will only be aware of the initial note composed by voice 1 so can only follow that.

HTH,

Mark

Return to “Noatikl”