Beginner questions

Generative Music Composer
ShadowNote
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Beginner questions

Postby ShadowNote » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm having some problems with Noatikl 3.2.1 (2064) on an iPad Pro with IOS 9.3.2.

I create a new piece, Noatikl seed, fixed pattern. I can hear the piano playing the four ascending notes for its pattern of
<100 B 60 1 60 2 60 3 60 4>. If I stop and start the piece, the tempo changes and the pitch changes in the same direction as the tempo did. Start and stop again and I get a different tempo in BPM and a different starting pitch for the scale.

I go to the piece parameters and change the tempo to 110 and the tempo range to zero. When I hit play I hear a change in the pitch. Curious, I change the tempo to 90 but now when I hit play the pitch now stays the same. Where is the pitch tied to the tempo when there is a range on the tempo?

I also have a question about creating drums. I again used a fixed pattern and set the MIDI channel to 10. Is there a list somewhere of which numbers correspond to each drum sound? The problem above also seemed to change the drum sounds.

My final question is about chord progressions. What I would like to create is a voice that lays down a chord progression, say a I-IV-V and have the other voices follow that chord progression. Is there an example of a voice that follows a fixed chord progression anywhere?

Thanks, it looks like a great program once I get over the learning curve.

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Beginner questions

Postby Umcorps » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:18 am

Welcome!

Some quick answers for now

Where is the pitch tied to the tempo when there is a range on the tempo?

It's not. I think what's happening is related to the Piece Root parameter.

By default, the root range is set to all. So every time you restart the piece, Noatikl will randomly select a new root. As its random, sometimes that means it will be the same as before. To stop it happening just set the Piece Root to a single note value.

I also have a question about creating drums. I again used a fixed pattern and set the MIDI channel to 10. Is there a list somewhere of which numbers correspond to each drum sound?

If you mean the default General Midi drums scroll down to the bottom of this page for a list of what the voicing are and which note they are mapped to.

https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/gm-level-1-sound-set

If you mean some of the custom drum sound fonts I'll post that info later to this post. I don't have that info on the computer I'm using right now.

The problem above also seemed to change the drum sounds.

Yes, it will do that if you don't tell the voice which drum note you want it to play. What's happening is the pattern is playing the drum voices as if it was a melodic instrument.

To force a voice to play a specific note on channel 10 - e.g. midi note 35, Kick drum 1 - you need to go to the "Basics" view for that voice, open the drop down list of patch names and select D35. Each drum sound will need to have its own voice defined in Noatikl. Have a look at some of the drum templates to see how that works.

My final question is about chord progressions. What I would like to create is a voice that lays down a chord progression, say a I-IV-V and have the other voices follow that chord progression. Is there an example of a voice that follows a fixed chord progression anywhere?

That looks like a simple question but the answer can be anything but. So many possible approaches to this one.

For a start, edit that fixed pattern voice of yours so the pattern just gives you the root notes for your chord progression. Once that's playing, go to the Chords settings, set the chord depth to 3 but leave everything else at its default. By playing with the harmony rules for this voice you can steer the chords in a certain direction but you won't get the same chords every time. Generative!

Note that, depending on how you've defined the Piece root, the Voice pitch and the Voice Pitch Range you can get inversions happening because, if the combination of those parameters means that one of the chord notes will fall out of the voice pitch range, the composition engine will wrap it round to bring it in range so it, not your fixed voice note, will be the lowest note of that chord.

There are loads of other ways to approach this e.g. using Follow type voices in a chain to make fixed interval triads, but its probably better now to explore what the engine can do and the different ways you can nudge it into the direction you want without over specifying things too much.

Hope that helps. I'll post that other drum voice list if I can find it later.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby imtim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:45 am

Hi, and thanks to Mark who beat me to responding. :)

I will just add the following with respect to your second question, as it may also help a little.

ShadowNote wrote:I also have a question about creating drums. I again used a fixed pattern and set the MIDI channel to 10. Is there a list somewhere of which numbers correspond to each drum sound? The problem above also seemed to change the drum sounds.

OK, firstly, changing the piece root to e.g. C will then mean you always hear the same 4 note sequence of drums when the piece restarts, as it is a melodic pattern.

The Drums sounds you will hear are from the included General MIDI set. If you change the Scale Rule elements for that voice you will hear different drum sounds, as each drum sound is triggered via a different note and your Fixed Pattern is a melodic pattern (e.g. note pitch and duration info).

There is another way to do drums which is to use R type patterns (duration info only, no pitch info) on Channel 10. The best way to see how these work is to first go to Settings and check the toggle "Show Noatikl 2 Content" is on. Then, when you go back to the Files screen and select Create New, you will see in grey some other templates. Select e.g. Get Drums 1 MIDI and the first template in that. Notice how you have 4 Fixed Pattern voices all driving out via Channel 10. If you look at each voice you will see the Basics Patch parameter is a drum patch (e.g. D35) and if you look at the Fixed Pattern it is of R type. I think this will give you the pointers you need to then have a look at this kind of drum template.

There is one more advanced trick which I will not go into detail on, but there is another IM Drums Wavetable included. If you tap the synth button (it shows as grey with Poly 4 on it for the above template) and then tap the purple Wavetable unit that then shows, select the IM Drums SF2 from the left list and then exit the Wavetable unit and back out to the Design screen. You will then be using the alternative drum bank which has alternative patches for I think most all of the GM Drum patches.
[/quote]

Hope that helps a bit, too.

Atb

tim

ShadowNote

Postby ShadowNote » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks to you both, those answered all of my questions (to this point). I got a lot out of looking at the "show Noatikl 2 content" drums. Using rhythm rather than fixed pattern voices is much cleaner for the drums. I hadn't considered the wrapping around of notes when playing chords. The 2 following voices forming the triad is interesting.

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:35 pm

I'll post that other drum voice list if I can find it later.

Found it. These are the note allocations for the IM_E-perc sound font

36 Distorted long DR Kick
37 Distorted tight DR Kick
38 Clean tight DR kick
39 909 kick
40 Dropped kick
41 Low tom
42 Mid tom
43 High tom
44 tabla ring
45 DR snare
46 Tight DR snare
47 Long Dr clap
48 Short DR clap
49 DR hihat close
50 DR OHH short
51 DR OHH med
52 DR OHH long

Note allocations for IM drums are the same as General Midi but use better quality samples than the built in GM synth.

Return to “Noatikl”