another beginner question

Generative Music Composer
aleos
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

another beginner question

Postby aleos » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:32 am

Hi, I've got the iOS version of Noatikl 3, love it, use it all the time. Will be doing an ambient show with it in the jungles of Vietnam at festival coming up. Should be fun;)

For a recent scoring project I created some nice piano twinkles on my iPad, exported them and used them nicely in the work.

So I was thinking maybe it would be nice to have the MacOS version to be able to control other AU instruments via Noatikl's rules. I've done a little research, and the answers are a little hazy. Maybe I've missed a clear source that explains this, but so far I haven't.

I have NI Komplete Kontrol, and I use Logic X. Can I route the MIDI relatively simply from Noatikl to other software instruments?

Thanks

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: another beginner question

Postby Umcorps » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Welcome!

I have NI Komplete Kontrol, and I use Logic X. Can I route the MIDI relatively simply from Noatikl to other software instruments?

Yes. It's fairly simple to do using the IAC midi port which is part of Mac OS Core Midi. Details of how to get started are here

https://intermorphic.com/noatikl/guide/#logic

Note that the "Autodemix by channel" bit in Logic's recording preferences is the crucial setting.

If you don't want to have Logic's transport controls running and don't need to record the midi data coming from Noatikl, and if you are comfortable about hacking around in Logic's Environment, its possible to set Logic up just as a "dumb" AU host by splitting the incoming midi data into individual channels in the Environment and then hardwiring each splitter to its own channel strip.

The advantage of doing that is you don't have to worry about auto demix, record enabling channels or even having Logic running its timeline. Increasingly, when I'm working with Noatikl and Logic, this is the way I do it now.

I don't have any experience of Komplete so I can't help with that.

One thing that might be important to you is synchronisation. You need to be aware that, unlike the iOS version, Noatikl desktop does not transmit midi clock at all. So you can't use it as a clock master source. It can only slave to an external clock.

If you need synchronisation with Logic the most reliable way to do that is to define a second IAC port (in the Mac OS Midi and Audio application) and use that to distribute Logic's clock back to Noatikl. You need to set up Logic to transmit clock to IAC 2 in the usual way via project settings and then set Noatikl to listen to IAC 2. Noatikl should then slave to Logic's clock and its start and stop messages.

Hope that helps.

Sleuty
Bronze

Postby Sleuty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:51 pm

I use windows myself, so thankfully Umcorps got you covered there. :) As far as Kontakt Kontrol: no issues once your DAW is set. You can essentially bypass the hardware keyboard, but you can use it to feed Noakitl MIDI input, which Noatikl then feeds into the NI software. In a nutshell: Noatikl Desktop can output pretty much everything it does to anything that adheres to basic MIDI standards.

aleos

Postby aleos » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replys.
Wonderful, I guess I'll get Noatikl for desktop as well.
I'll probably be asking a few extra questions later on down the line regarding the synch aspects, but as long as I can have Noatikl play my logic instruments, I'm happy.

Return to “Noatikl”