Postby Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 am

Greetings all!

My specs:
Ipad4
No IAA or Audiobus
AirPlay = Off
BLuetooth = Off
No apps running in background.

But I'm still getting annoying clicks when loading demo files, particularly Cosmic (lots), Calm Trails (lots), Bells & Pulse, and Arp Love. I have closed the Noatikl app and reopened it but when I load the demo file Cosmic to use as a template, I still get the clicks.

Is my iPad4 not fast enough to handle Noatikl?

I suppose I could get another app (Layr?) and route the midi channels to that app while turning off the Noatikl volume.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: Noatikl 3 Demo files clicking

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:57 am

And I set the Audio Rate to 22kHz and latency to 700 ms.

Demo files Piano & Glass and Ebb & Flow also click a lot.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby imtim » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi Tom

Yes, most of the demo pieces are very busy. There are a lot of voices in each and a lot of synthesis going on. At the end of the day, these kind of issues generally happen when the complexity of the content is too much for the processor. It can also be a side effect of note stealing. It can even catch us out sometimes, too!

So, with that in mind, I re-looked at Calm Trails on an iPad 4, where it was glitching.

What I found through a process of elimination (see: https://intermorphic.com/noatikl/#faq-performanceissues and work through some of the "Try these in order" suggestions.) was that the glitching was being caused by a very busy pattern in the first voice (and then prob some note stealing somewhere), Soft pads/1. If I changed the pattern to be something pretty simple, then the glitching almost completely disappeared indicating I was in the right area.

So, when this kind of thing happens, try deleting number of voices / and or reduce the complexity of Synth network / FX in the mix and also look at the Polyphony of the synth. It can be an idea to put any heavy duty FX (e.g. Reverb) only at the mix level.

As to whether you can route the MIDI channels out, there sure, you can do that. But the 3rd party synth still has to do a lot of sound processing. Then there is FX.

Hope that helps a bit!

atb

tim

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Tim - Yes, Thanks! It helps!

I switched Soft Pads/1 from Fixed Pattern to Ambient and most of the clicking went away (as you pointed out). Then I switched Muted Midrange Strings Major Block/1 to Follow (first) and then to Fixed Pattern and in both cases the clicking seemed to diminish further. This is mildly surprising because Muted Midrange Strings Major Block/1 was already set to Ambient in the demo. So, clearly one is NOT able to rank the various voice types in complexity - their tendency to cause clicking is very much dependent on the configuration of the piece. Right?

However, I'm still trying to locate the polyphony setting. I followed the links in your reply but without success. There was some discussion about polyphony in the Network Synth Editor link (as I recall) but I guess I'm just not seeing it. Can you point me to it with maybe a screenshot or something?

And the Audio Rate setting is important, as you know, because after eliminating a lot of the clicking by switching Soft Pads to Ambient voice type, I turned Audio Rate back up to 45,000 and the clicking returned in earnest.

Thanks for your help, Tim!

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 am

Hi Tom

Sorry for the slow response - we are busy working on some new Wotja stuff. And, I was working on a reply and then lost it. Doh!

The Polyphony setting is found here:
https://intermorphic.com/pse/3/#networkeditor

At the bottom of the screen you will see the (?) help button and to the right of it the Polyphony button (I know it is not obvious, sorry).

Whilst I was looking into this I also tried playing the same piece in Wotja. What I found was that when running at 44KHz it was much less glitchy in Wotja than in Noatikl. Right now, I have no idea why.... It does, however, seem to be related to piece complexity. For what its worth I found that reducing the tempo helped!

Best wishes

tim

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Tim - I'm sorry for being slow on the uptake but when I click on the link you provided it just takes me to screen after screen of info all of which I've seen before. You said that at the bottom of the page I'll see a "?" but at the bottom of the page or at the bottom of the link?? Is there a Chapter heading where I'll find this "?" and Polyphony arrow?

Also, are the various Voice types rankable by complexity or is their likelihood to cause clicking related more to how they're used in the piece configuration?

Thanks again, Tim!

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Tom

Sorry if I was not clear. When you go to that link you will see two screen grabs. The one on the right is the iOS Network Editor.

At the bottom of that screengrab you will see the (?) help button and to the right of it the Polyphony button.

The text in the guide (a little ways down from there) says:
"Polyphony/Poly (Synth Networks only): Tap to display a pop up list where you select the polyphony level used by the generators in your network. The default value is 4; set this too high, and your computer/device might slow down; set it too low, and you likely won't hear as many notes playing in chords or when notes have long decays (due to note stealing)."

As I said in my mail, Noatikl Voices are all MIDI generators. As such whichever one you use should not generally make too much difference to performance as most often clicking is a result of heavy audio processing (synth/fx) - not MIDI generation. That said, it is possible to push it too hard on MIDI generation by having very short note length patterns or ambient voices with very short durations, and then high tempos. But, to do that you really do need to be doing something out of the ordinary :).

Hope that helps,

atb

tim

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm

OK - Found it! :)

Thanks again, Tim!

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:31 pm

So for the benefit of any other users who might read this post, what I have found is that merely Muting a Voice is insufficient when trying to isolate the source of clicking. One must delete the voice to test for glitching. That is, in a seven voice piece (with clicking), muting all but one voice still results in clicking.

Return to “Noatikl”