Changing Noatikl3 file changes Mitosynth patch :(

Generative Music Composer
Tom
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Changing Noatikl3 file changes Mitosynth patch :(

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm

So I'm sending Noatikl3 midi notes to Mitosynth based on a Mitosynth patch that I have manually selected (in Mitosynth) but, to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm sending one or all Noatikl midi channels out to Mitosynth. That's OK - I'll figure that out - but my problem is that whenever I change the Noatikl3 file, it sends a patch change to Mitosynth (that I didn't want) and it appears to send a different patch every time. I want to manually control Mitosynth patch selection - at least for the time being.

In Mitosynth, Core MIDI is on and Channel is set to Omni. Maybe I have to set "Assign Midi Patch Banks" in Mitosynth?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom
Bronze

Re: Changing Noatikl3 file changes Mitosynth patch :(

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Setting "Assign Midi Patch Banks" doesn't seem to stop Mitosynth from receiving patch changes when I change Noatikl files. And I am receiving all Noatikl notes (on all Midi channels which is OK for now) in Mitosynth.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Can you please let us know exactly which version of Noatikl you're using, and on which operating system (e.g. iOS, macOS, Windows Xp 64-bit etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:51 pm

3.3.6 Noatikl 3
10.2.1 iOS iPad4

Also, Pete, when I call up one of my files, it immediately starts playing. Shouldn't it wait for me to tap the right pointing triangle at the bottom left. The file loads with an X instead a right triangle. I haven't tested this to see if it depends how I closed the file/app but it shouldn't matter, right.

Thanks!

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for that information.

I have made a point of looking at the source code in this area, and it certainly looks as though it shouldn't be sending bank information when you have the flag set. So, that was puzzling - it must be a subtle bug of some sort. I'll have to run it up in the debugger, and test things out, to figure-out what is happening.

However, as you might have guessed, I'm deep into completing a chunk of work for Wotja 4.3 - around a week away. I'm actually focused on the text engine at the moment, so am not really in the mental zone for doing MIDI debugging!

In terms of scheduling, when I last checked with Tim, we're planning to start considering adding support for AudioBus 3.0 MIDI routing to Wotja 4.x once Wotja 4.3 is out, so that'll be in a few weeks; I will look to verify the MIDI bank issue at that point.

Hoping that makes sense?

With best wishes,

Pete

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 am

Pete - I also notice that Blend mode does NOT get saved with the file. For example, when I change it to Drift and Flock, and then save and close; and then re-open the file, blend mode reverts to manual.

Tom

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 am

Tom wrote:I also notice that Blend mode does NOT get saved with the file. For example, when I change it to Drift and Flock, and then save and close; and then re-open the file, blend mode reverts to manual.

Hi Tom

Yes, when implemented it was considered a system level setting so the behaviour is as expected. Some kind of automated mix capability is something we may yet consider for Wotja down the road.

Atb

tim

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14 am

Tim - Well, I respectfully submit that it should NOT be a system level setting because some files are designed for Manual setting and some files are designed for Flock and Drift. This becomes a problem because currently, as I pointed out earlier, when you select a file, it immediately starts playing - before one has a chance to change the blend mode. As it is now one has to remember not only what the setting was on each file but also remember to turn off the volume on the device before opening the file, then make the change, and then turn up the volume.

Tom

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am

Tim - Also if this was intended to be a system level setting, then it should show up as an option on the "Noatikl" screen - the screen that displays all your files. Instead this setting shows up on the "Design" screen - only after you open the individual file.

Tom

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am

Hi Tom

Perhaps, but this was the way it was built! Sorry!

Atb

tim

Tom
Bronze

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am

Me too.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 am

Hi Tom,

I've just checked the issue you reported in the debugger. It all looks to be behaving to me.

Here is a detailed breakdown of how I tested it.

On the iPhone:
- created a new mix for Wotja
- assigned a simple test voice (fixed pattern) to the first cell
- Edited the voice, and set the "Send MIDI Bank/Patch?" switch to Off for the voice
- Went to Settings, and set MIDI Out / Core MIDI switch to On
- Stopped it playing

On the Mac:
- Launched Audio MIDI Setup
- Connected the Network MIDI so I could get MIDI input from the iOS device
- Ran-up the MIDI Pipe app I have, so I could observe MIDI messages in the system, hooked-up to get Input from Network MIDI

On the iPhone:
- started the mix playing, changed the patch

On the mac:
- didn't see any MIDI Patch / Bank messages (as expected!)

On the iPhone:
- Edited the voice, and set the "Send MIDI Bank/Patch?" switch to On for the voice
- Changed the patch a number of times

On the mac:
- saw the expected MIDI Patch / Bank messages now appearing (as expected!)

So in summary: this looks to be behaving properly. My best guess is that you might not have set "Send MIDI Bank/Patch?" to Off for all the voices?

Hoping this report helps,

With best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Noatikl”