Generative Music Composer
Nya
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Voice with no "randomness" at all.

Postby Nya » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:44 am

Hello everyone!

Is it possible to have a Voice with no randomness at all? Let's say I want this Voice to be a rhythm guitar or foundation pads with certain chords. And I want to define each note in each chord by myself for this Voice. Let's say I want G9 chord to be built this (and only this!) way:
G1 (contra octave)
G2 (great octave)
D3 (small octave)
F3 (small octave)
B3 (small octave)
D4 (one-line octave)
F4 (one-line octave)
A4 (one-line octave)
Is it possible with Noatikl?

I want my musical composition to have many parts in a particular order. Let's say its structure looks like this:
AABB AABB CDEF1 CDEF2 AABB AABB HIJ HIJ
Each letter (A, D, F1, etc) is a sequence of 4 certain chords that were defined in a previous step. Can this sequence of parts be built in Noatikl?

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Voice with no "randomness" at all.

Postby Umcorps » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:35 am

Hi!

Is it possible to have a Voice with no randomness at all? Let's say I want this Voice to be a rhythm guitar or foundation pads with certain chords. And I want to define each note in each chord by myself for this Voice.

Well, its kind of possible with some important limitations but its not really what Noatikl is designed to do. Anyway, in the example you give, what you would do is play G1 via a pattern type voice to ensure that voice only ever played G1.

You'd then need to define seven different follow voice types, all following the G1 pattern voice. You would set the follow strategy to "semitone shift" and define the shift up or down from G1 for each of the 7 remaining notes that make up the chord.

The limitation is that, most of the time, this really is a single, fixed chord. You can't easily transpose it and you definitely can't invert it without redefining it from scratch.

Which makes part 2 of your wish list very difficult to achieve.

In circumstances where you want such a tightly defined backing track a simpler option would be to use a DAW to generate all that section but set up an extra, unvoiced midi track in the DAW that was just a copy of the root notes of the chord sequences and pipe that out for Noatikl to listen to and improvise around.

Another alternative would be to record your all your chords as discrete audio samples, put them in a sound font and use a simple pattern voice type to trigger them in sequence. You could then do part 2 of your wish list using the pattern voice syntax for sequenced patterns. Noatikl as an Omnichord.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby imtim » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Mark, that is very helpful and useful!

Nya
Bronze

Postby Nya » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:54 pm

its not really what Noatikl is designed to do.

I totally understand it. However, all the limitations you mentioned are acceptable (at least for me). Thanks for your help, Umcorps! I really appreciate it!
Summarizing, the foundation (all the fixed chords) should be built in a DAW, and Noatikl improvises over these chords by generating a random melody. To put it even simpler, our DAW plays a "harmony foundation role" while Noatikl plays a "melody improvisation role".
In case we have a big musical composition with many parts, some parts can possibly be in different tonalities, but it's not a big problem since we can send a MIDI signal from our DAW to Noatikl when we need the tonality to be switched (so after getting the signal Noatikl starts “improvising” in another scale). I know it can be achieved with Listening Voice Hyperinstrument https://intermorphic.com/nme/3/#scripti ... instrument
Even though I’ve read the link above, I am still going to ask my newbie question: How to configure the Hyperinstument for this purpose?
Suppose, when Noatikl receives C1 MIDI note from a particular track of my DAW it switches to "C Major" tonality, and when it receives A1 MIDI note it switches to "A minor" tonality. Could you please help me with this example?

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm

How to configure the Hyperinstument for this purpose?
Suppose, when Noatikl receives C1 MIDI note from a particular track of my DAW it switches to "C Major" tonality, and when it receives A1 MIDI note it switches to "A minor" tonality. Could you please help me with this example?

I wish I could! I don't think its particularly difficult to set up but it will require various bar level scripts to pick up those trigger notes and use them as the cue to switch scale and harmony rules. I'm not very good with scripting so the chance of me posting duff advice is too high to risk. Hopefully Pete will see this post and chip in. He's probably forgotten more about scripting than I will ever know. I just play with synthesisers. :lol:

Nya
Bronze

Postby Nya » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 am

I just play with synthesisers. :lol:

Hehe, same here.

Hopefully Pete will see this post and chip in.

I hope so.

Return to “Noatikl”