Help in setting up Noatikl AU in Logic7

Generative Music Composer
crazyoval
Bronze

Help in setting up Noatikl AU in Logic7

Postby crazyoval » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:40 am

Hi guys, I am very confused.

I am using Noatikl AU with Logic 7 with Novation Compact SL

I have looked at the tutorial (http://www.vimeo.com/408277) for Noatikl in Logic 8 (and you guys kindly send me a copy of the logic 7 template which i am currently using) and it makes it look straight forward, i.e. open up Noatikl and use an existing file although I dont have one so I make one with four voices each set to a different midi channel 1-4 whilst Noatikl is set to 'all'.

I then create four softsynths in Logic on different tracks with midi channels 1 to 4 like in the tutorial.

I have followed the instructions for setting up noatikl on the mac with midipipe (http://www.vimeo.com/388572) although am not sure if because this is an AU, whether I need to do this or not, but Im guessing that I do even though as far as I can read, it is not specified for the AU version of Noatikl to have midipipe (if using Novation).

Ive setup a midi pipe with a midi in and midi out and set Noatikle to the midipipe input but have noticed that the midi input and output of midi pipe is set to my Compact SL for some reason, and your tutorial doesnt say what to do with this option.
Question: can you specify where the midi in and midi out's should be connected to?

I press play like in the tutorial and see the Noatikl voices doing something similar to the video but nothing is happening with the soft synths, no sounds but i check them and they will play on my midi keyboard.

I loaded the midipipe file before reloading the logic file.

Im wondering if I am missing a tutorial somewhere.. it would be great to have clarified exactly what I need to have done before getting to the stage shown in the http://www.vimeo.com/408277 tutorial referencing midipipe as well.

Also, is there anything I should be doing AFTER this point? i.e. more settings in Noatikl ? it seems to just set off on its own like in the video, but do I need to do more work on it for it to know what to do first?

Can you advise please? Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

crazyoval
Bronze

Re: Help in setting up Noatikl AU in Logic7

Postby crazyoval » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 pm

sorry guys i ve posted in the wrong place... :roll:

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi!

I don't have novation, but as always it is probably best to start at the beginning!

In order of easiness... :)
- have you been able to get Noatikl *standalone* playing through the Mac DLS wavetable, through MIDI Pipe?
- have you been able to get Noatikl *standalone* playing OK with Logic c.f. the template project we provide, and the various tutorials?
- if you have Garage Band, have you been able to get Noatikl AU working in Garage Band c.f. the tutorial video?

With best wishes,

Pete

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:25 am

You probably sorted this out yourself in the time the forum has been down but, for future reference....

I have followed the instructions for setting up noatikl on the mac with midipipe (http://www.vimeo.com/388572) although am not sure if because this is an AU, whether I need to do this or not,

Yes, its still needed because Logic can't accept midi input from an AU directly. So you use midipipe to route midi data out of the noatikl AU and back round to Logic's midi inputs. Weird, I know, but it's Logic's problem. BTW, you set the noatikl AU to listed to midi coming in from the sequencer input, not from midipipe.

Ive setup a midi pipe with a midi in and midi out and set Noatikle to the midipipe input but have noticed that the midi input and output of midi pipe is set to my Compact SL for some reason, and your tutorial doesnt say what to do with this option.
Question: can you specify where the midi in and midi out's should be connected to?

It looks like that is the problem. Your midi pipe needs to use its own input and output to work correctly. To change the assignment, click on the "Midi In" in the pipe list. A drop down menu should appear below it in the Midi Input list, showing all the midi inputs that your Mac knows about. Change this from your compact SL input to "MidiPipe Input 1". Now do the same for the output.

Hopefully that should work. :)

Mark

crazyoval
Bronze

Postby crazyoval » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:46 pm

HI Pete and Mark, no Ive been waiting for the forum to appear again before I started work on the install again as I was completely confused unfortunately.

IMPete: one assumption Ive had so far is that by purchasing the AU plug in version I have not got the standalone version. Is this true?

Ive only seen the plugin to Logic and not seen a standalone on my mac, nor have I purchased it.

your response suggests that even though Ive headed this topic AU in Logic7 that I might have the standalone also.

What does c.f. mean ??!!

Mark, thank you I shall work on your suggestions, I have a feeling this is my area of grey-ness. Im not sure if the instructions are that clear in this area really.

Thanks to both of you. NO thanks to Yahoo !!

Guy

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi Guy,

HI Pete and Mark, no Ive been waiting for the forum to appear again before I started work on the install again as I was completely confused unfortunately.

Pete: one assumption Ive had so far is that by purchasing the AU plug in version I have not got the standalone version. Is this true?

I'll do my best to clarify. :)

When you install the Noatikl download for Mac from our site, it installs all of the following:
- the Standalone version
- the Audio Unit
- the VSTi

Each of these can be used for 30 days while you evaluate the product. If you like it, you can then buy either a license for everything (the "Suite"), or a license for the specific variant you want. So, if you have bought the Audio Unit license, then you'd be able to use that, but not the other variants. If you think you've got the wrong one, then mail tim and we'll sort out a replacement key for you, don't worry.

Ive only seen the plugin to Logic and not seen a standalone on my mac, nor have I purchased it.
your response suggests that even though Ive headed this topic AU in Logic7 that I might have the standalone also.

You'll have the standalone version on your Mac, under Applications in Finder, but it'll complain that you've not got a valid license key to use it. :)

What does c.f. mean ??!!

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=12324&dict=CALD

Basically, it means "refer to this other other thing"

An example would be: "I could say Noatikl is great, c.f. this amazing review". :)

Have fun,

Pete

crazyoval
Bronze

Postby crazyoval » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi guys, I have set the AU Noatikl to Midi Output = MidiPipe input 1 and the Midi input to Sequencer Midi pipeline. I have also set the Midipipe to Midi in = Midipipe input 1 and the Midi Out to MidiPipe Output1 but I am not getting any sound still. I have the metronome sounding so I know the audio is working. My Novation Remote SL isn't working for some reason, possibly some sort of clash as you have mentioned previously.

AMS?

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD

(AMS? means 'any more suggestions?')

crazyoval
Bronze

Postby crazyoval » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:48 pm

oh,.. just tried it with the AU Noatikl Midi Input set to the Midipipe Output1 and now I am getting an audio overload.. which was different than before, when I set to record. But if I play I still don't get any sound coming out.

Then I set the preference for midi to save in the documents and now I can see some midi files. Ive dragged these to the logic arrange window to the tracks that are under Noatikl control.

Now, I am making some strange sounds.. cool.....

I guess this is working, time to make the sounds sound like music.

One question: do you guys think my Novation SL Control will work with Noatikl at all? is there anything more I can do to set this up to make these both work together?

Many thanks

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Umcorps » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:33 pm

guess this is working, time to make the sounds sound like music.

Phew!! 8)

One question: do you guys think my Novation SL Control will work with Noatikl at all? is there anything more I can do to set this up to make these both work together?

It depends what you mean!. Certainly, you can't Automap noatikl (and it's probably sensible to exclude the noatikl AU from the Automap plugin list if Automap hasn't already ignored it automatically [as it were]). From memory, the noatikl AU doesn't expose any of its parameters to the host DAW so there isn't anything for Automap to automate.

Obviously, what you can do is use the SL as a generic midi controller. If you set it up to do so, noatikl will listen to and respond to incoming midi data. So note data sent from the SL can shape and direct what's going on in noatikl. But I don't think there's anything unique to the SL you can usefully use directly with noatikl alone.

However, once you've got noatikl set up and working with a DAW you have a much wider synergistic system, so getting the SL just working with noatikl is a bit limiting really.

If it helps, from day one, I've always pictured noatikl as a massive, muiltilayered control surface realised in software. An instrument that would be a physical impossibility to make and to play. For me, its job is to do stuff I would normally do with a real controller, on a much, much bigger, deeper and often more surprising scale. So I leave it to do what it does and use my SL to supplement that - using it to tweak the synths that noatikl is driving or do a live manual mix. (Like this:- http://vimeo.com/388737).

To be honest, what really floats my boat is when the only thing I use on the SL is the transport controls to make stuff happen and unhappen and let noatikl do everything else. But that's my problem :lol:

Mark

crazyoval
Bronze

Postby crazyoval » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:29 am

that sounds encouraging for the future. Next week I will have time to progress from where I am right now.

Return to “Noatikl”