Fixed: Random Seed generators ?

Generative Music Creator
Atonal
Platinum

Fixed: Random Seed generators ?

Post by Atonal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:52 am

Does noatikl use a random seed generator to initialize itself ? If so, how & where can I access it to set a new seed for initializing the generation ?

The overall generation ( more accurately 'chunks' ) are repeating themselves during subsequent generations of the composition process. It would be nice to be able to set a new 'seed' at initialization, and keep the same parameter settings, which should ( would ) lead to a different 'overall' flavor while under the same parametric controls ...

-- atonal

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Random Seed generators ?

Post by impete » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi,

If I recall correctly, the system seeds from a value derived from a system time in milliseconds (haven't got the code to hand, as I'm on holiday!).

If I'd got something wrong there, then that could explain the behaviour you've reported...

With best wishes,

Pete

Atonal
Platinum

Post by Atonal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Pete,

.. hmmm .. seems to not 'mix it up' enough with repeated, close restarts ...
( most noticeable when the code seems to encounter a branch where a GetRandom call is used ... seems to most always take the same paths .. )
-- atonal

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Atonal,

Ah... right, are you referring specifically to the random number generator available through the scripting system?

Just making sure I get my head round things properly. :)

Pete

Atonal
Platinum

Post by Atonal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Pete,

Once again I am at the disadvantage. I did not know there was a random number generator option available through scripting. ( if there indeed is, then great ! ). I am not a young person anymore, thank god, and I am having trouble keeping track of all the various places I need to look at just to get information on scripting options ... Hopefully, there will eventually be a Scripting USER GUIDE available for us who are short of memory ...

This is a nice piece of information to have ..
Have a great New Year !

-- atonal

Atonal
Platinum

Post by Atonal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 pm

Pete,

I've just made another search through all of the various scripting references and documentations. I cannot find the reference to a scripting system capability for re-seeding a random number generator.

Where is it ?

-- atonal

XGEN
Silver

Post by XGEN » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Try downloading the Plogue Bidule software?

Or perhaps FL Studio which includes Synthmaker?

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Atonal wrote:Pete,

I've just made another search through all of the various scripting references and documentations. I cannot find the reference to a scripting system capability for re-seeding a random number generator.

Where is it ?

-- atonal
The noatikl_GetRandom() function is here... but there is as yet no way to reseed it programatically...

http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/noati ... _GetRandom

Hoping that helps!

Pete

Atonal
Platinum

Post by Atonal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Not exactly ...

I know that function call, ... I was interested in your 'system' number generator which I suppose is used as the source for triggering / driving actions against your low level code. The 'prime - initial ' source for your selections.

I am assuming that your entire system is driven off of generated numbers, and as such, the stream is probably random, and as such, probably 'initially' (instantiated) by some seed upon start-up ..

-- atonal

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Atonal!

Yes indeed. It is seeded as you would expect, derived from various psuedo-random system properties including system time/date.

With best wishes,

Pete

Atonal
Platinum

Post by Atonal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Pete,

Can I control the seeding with different, 'initial numbers' ?

My original purpose for starting this thread was that I had begun noticing 'very similar' compositional gestures coming from subsequent generations of compose, and was hoping I could force a different 'scope' of random number seed into your process ..

-- atonal

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi Atonal,

Thanks for the question!

This is something I've thought of supporting, and is in our list of things we might add in futre versions; and it might actually work due to the plug-in nature of the Noatikl pipeline; it is an approach that would never have worked with the old Koan desktop tool (due to the way it was architected!).

With best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Post by impete » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Just to note that the random number generation is fixed in Noatikl 1.5.1.2

Best wishes,

Pete