Instrument Names

Generative Music Creator
cj31387
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Instrument Names

Post by cj31387 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 am

Hi is there any way to name your instruments so that when you open them in say fruity loops they are that name? When i name the instrument in the basics page then export to midi then open in fruity loops they aren't the same name, they are like channel 1 channel 2 channel 3 ect..

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Instrument Names

Post by impete » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 am

Hi!

Is there any specific MIDI message that you might be aware of, from which FruityLoops could extract a name from a MIDI file? If this were possible, then maybe we could modify the Noatikl MIDI file export/save process to capture this information...

Best wishes,

Pete

cj31387
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Post by cj31387 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 pm

No i wouldn't know anything about that, but does noatikl name the instruments right in other programs? Tried opening in acid pro 6 also, and it names it like filename - Track1, Filename - Track2, ect...

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Post by impete » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am

Hi!

I'm guessing that the issue is simply that when these products import a MIDI file for playback, there is no naming information available in the MIDI file, so simple MIDI Channel numbers are displayed. These would map-on to the MIDI Channel numbers used in your Noatikl voices (you can number these explicitly in Noaitkl if you want, that might help...).

If anybody out there on the forum is aware of any tools that somehow pull-in MIDI Channel *names* from MIDI files, can you please let me know; as that would give me a pointer to figure-out what MIDI meta data we could embed in a MIDI recording from Noaitkl to assist in these situations...

Best wishes,

Pete