I don't get it

Cut-up Text Editor
Stew
Bronze
antispam_b: 2

I don't get it

Postby Stew » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:59 am

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I don't seem to be able to produce anything useful with liptikl :(

For example if I just put in 4 or 5 random words it just comes out as a jumble of those words. If I enter something more complex, which has more complex ideas, sentences or phrases already ... then the output seems to jumble any meaning that was there already, yet doesn't really seem to provide anything useful either.

Hmmmm ... I don't know if I'm explaining this very well :roll:

Can anyone provide some step by step examples ... showing what kind of 'seed' words you started with, how many times you hit CREATE, what you locked, what other words you added .... and finally what you ended up with?

Something like liptikl101 for the generatively retarded!

I've only got 10 days left on my demo version and would really like to see the full potential of this before it runs out. If I can get it to produce output like impete's example, I'm definitley gonna buy it.

Take note my friend,
Even though time flies,
Your halo might slip,
And forever never arrives.

Thanks ...

Stew

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Stew!

To create that lyric, I simply typed in some remembered fragments of song lyrics, pasted in some other media, and typed in a few more words that I liked. This is like taking some good basic ingredients, and throwing them in the mixing bowl. :)

Then pressed generate a few times. I liked some of the word combinations it threw together (remembering liptikl tries to rhyme where it can, which is nice); locked those words in place, and kept going a few more times; locking or unlocking as I saw stuff I liked.

I then changed some words by hand, looked up a couple via the thesaurus, pasted them in to the source, ran a few more times and blam there you have it. Only took around 4 or 5 minutes, without much thought; but of course I'm used to using the tool, which helps!

Hoping this makes sense! I'm just a little short of time to create a video tutorial, which I do think would be a good idea, as we're just getting noatikl V1.5 out of the door... so I'll look to create one in a week or so once that is done. That should help you a lot, I think!

Please feel free to hassle me via the forum if for some reason I haven't posted one! :)

With best wishes,

Pete
Last edited by impete on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew
Bronze

Postby Stew » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply Pete,

I play around a bit more this weekend and see what I can come up with.

It may be that I'll just come up with more questions :wink:

Stew

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 am

Well, that would be cool, don't worry. :)

The key for me with liptikl is to involve yourself in the decision making, acting like a gardener, weeding-out the bits you don't like and tidying-up the bits you do.

So: start with good source words. Keep generating quickly until you see *something* pop-out you like. Lock-down the bits you do. Keep generating. Don't be afraid to direct edit what you see what you realise your own words can help - and lock-down your direct edits. Keep generating. And don't forget you can *unlock* bits you're no longer happy with, to release liptikl to create more ideas for you.

And when you've learned that process, it is really, really fast to come-up with good stuff.

Hoping this helps! :)

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Stew!

Here is real example I just created, while sending some info to a reviewer. I thought I'd share it with you!

I get my best results using a couple of paragraphs of source ideas.

Good examples (that work for me!) are things like film titles, or phrases I like from a movie or book, and I also often just type in words that come to my head that presumably have just been floating under my sub-consciousness. If I'm listening to music (which I often am!) I'll type-in some mis-remembered lyrics from the artist. Or just do a grab from google searching for a few words. I don't spend more than a few minutes pulling ideas together. I guess other people might start from some lyrics they've been working on as a starter point. I'm no good at that, so start from a clean slate!

Pressing generate a few times gives me ideas.

Here's an example... I pasted-in the above paragraph of instructions I just typed above (that I've put in the quoted section for clarity), pressed generate, and got:

often floating my I'm,
me! people or Good,
examples good have than,
grab lyrics which type.

I instantly saw a pattern in there, and changed the top two lines (left the second two as they are):

I'm often floating on my own
good people pass me by
examples good have than,
grab lyrics which type.

And locked-down every word in the top two lines.

I pressed generate a couple of times, realised I didn't have anything that rhymed with by! So, added a few words: try deny sky fly cry

Generated this after a couple of presses:

I'm often floating on my own,
good people pass me by,
sub-consciousness floating starter to,
I that guess cry.

Changed 3rd line by hand to this below (and locked the 3rd line, and the final word in the 4th line):

good people pass me by,
Feel my sub-consciousness caving-in,
I that guess cry.

Generated a couple of times, realised I wanted a final longer line, updated rule from 6 5 4 4 to 6 5 4 6, generated a couple more times,

good people pass me by,
my that listening try I cry.

And thought... aha! And modified the final line by hand to get my lyric:

good people pass me by,
Their listening makes me cry.

Pretty good. Probably good enough for one of Tim's songs (Tim, help yourself!), though he might tweak it I guess.

Anyways: that took me 5 to 10 minutes, including typing this all up! :-)

Pete

Loopy C
Platinum

Postby Loopy C » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:32 am

Nicely done :wink:

I am yet to spend the time I want in liptkl but short death I know that time will come soon and look forward to where it may take me :D

Stew
Bronze

Postby Stew » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:53 am

Great Pete!

That really helps ...

Only problem is my demo period is up now :(
Ah well ... might have to pony up the bucks next month.

Will see if I can convince the financial controller (wife).
Wish me luck :wink:

Stew

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 am

I've got my fingers crossed for you. :D

Return to “Liptikl”