MIDI export?

Generative Music Mixer
nimmo
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

MIDI export?

Postby nimmo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:05 am

From what I understand, you can export MIDI from Mixtikl now. I bought the app back in version 3 but never really used it. I am getting back into generative music now and want to know if I can export generative MIDI files like I can with Noatikl and bring them into Ableton on the Mac. I upgraded on my iPhone to 5, but not sure how to go about creating and exporting MIDI. Can somebody point me to a good tutorial? Also, is the Mac version the same as the iPhone version? Thanks.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: MIDI export?

Postby impete » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Nimmo,

Thanks for asking! :)

Yes, the Mac version is pretty much the same as the iOS version (subject to a few platform-specific differences).

Mixtikl can record output to either audio file (.wav format) or MIDI file (.mid format).
You can do this by clicking the mixdown record button, and selecting MIDI as the recording format (select the "MIDI Rec" checkbox).
You can then e.g. open the MIDI file from Ableton (it'll be stored in a folder somewhere under ~/Library/Mixtikl/intermorphic/mixtikl...)

You'll find more information here in the User Guide...

http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... rding.html

Hoping this helps!

Best wishes,

Pete

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:51 am

nimmo wrote:From what I understand, you can export MIDI from Mixtikl now.

Yes, you can.

nimmo wrote:Can somebody point me to a good tutorial?

See: http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... rding.html

Basically, select the MIDI checkbox and then make a Live or Mixdown recording as you would before. When the recording has been made it will shown in the recording list at the top. You can then email the recording (select the recording in the list and then press the Email button top right) or transfer from your iPhone to PC via iTunes App File Sharing (http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/conte ... ation.html).

nimmo wrote:is the Mac version the same as the iPhone version?

Yes, in general, except for a small number of cases where there are things only available on iPhone, e.g. Sonoma AudioCopy/AudioPaste, device shake, Menu > Tidy etc.

hope that help!

tim

JenaThomson
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby JenaThomson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi!

When I try to email recorded mixes from my iPad, wav mixes attach fine but MIDI ones don't. An email is generated but there's nothing attached.

Any idea why this is?

Also is there any way to save mixes direct to Dropbox without having to transfer them to a desktop PC/mac?

Thanks!
Jena x

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 am

Hi Jena,

MIDI files not attaching - sounds like it might be a bug? I've logged it for investigation, for when we next look at Mixtikl. It might be that we're not tagging the file with the correct MIME type.

Dropbox: yes, that is the only way to get mixes to Dropbox!
We're planning on maybe adding support for upload of files to soundcloud.com - would that sort of feature be of use to you?

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Mixtikl”