Generative Music Mixer
ttaylor
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Randomize Volume

Postby ttaylor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi,
I am trying to randomize volume (velocity) on Mixtikl on the iPhone. I think I've found where I should be able to do this, but when I draw on the tiny graph area, I am not noticing any change. Also, are the drawn in changes over the entire cycle of the piece or just the cycle of the phrase?
Thank you for any light that you are able to shed.
All the best,
T

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Randomize Volume

Postby impete » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 am

Hi T!

Just to clarify, are you trying to adjust the velocity levels of some of the generative content in the Mix, using the drill-down Noatikl editor?

If you can let me know which content item you're trying to adjust, and let me know which of the Noatikl voices and parameters you're trying to change, that'd help me double-check what is going on!

Best wishes,

Pete

ttaylor
Bronze

Postby ttaylor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Pete,
Yes, I am trying to modify/randomize the volume of a following voice in the noatikl editor. I would like the following voice to move from barely audible to aggressive, randomly. I have explored the Micro User Envelope 1 and the Envelope-User Envelope 1, but I haven't noticed the changes I'm looking for. Once that is locked, I would like to randomize the pan of the following voice. Thank you very much for the guidance!
Best,
T

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi T!

Right, that helps, thanks.

The key is probably to use velocity parameters, as you suggest.
To use the pan position, you'd need to ensure that the Following voices are on separate MIDI channels (as pan is channel-specific!).

Do you have a copy of Noatikl... that would make experimenting with tweaking such settings a lot easier?

Information on velocity-related parameters starts here...
http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/noati ... pes_1.html

Best wishes,

Pete

ttaylor
Bronze

Postby ttaylor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Pete,
Well, at least I know I was looking in the right place! I don't exactly understand how drawing the wave affects the velocity. It reads like the movement traverses the entire piece. So, if that is the case, would a multi-toothed saw, for example, bring about the velocity fluctuations more rapidly?
Also, regarding Noatikl (and Mixtikl, for that matter) in their desktop versions, is there enough increased functionality to warrant having them in addition to the iPhone/iPad versions?
Again, thank you for your time and your help!
T

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi T

Noatikl and Mixtikl are different beasts.

Noatikl is a "proper" full editor for noatikl files. Mixtikl does allow editing of Noatikl parameters, but one at a time and in a drill down fashion and with limited editing capability. That means if you only want to tweak one param then Mixtikl is mostly fine, but if you are building noatikl files or doing a lot of noatikl editing, then you really might be better off using Noatikl.

hth

t

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:37 am

Well, at least I know I was looking in the right place! I don't exactly understand how drawing the wave affects the velocity. It reads like the movement traverses the entire piece. So, if that is the case, would a multi-toothed saw, for example, bring about the velocity fluctuations more rapidly?

In essence, the "envelope" (or "wave") for the velocity parameter, shows how the velocity parameter changes through the duration of the piece.
This approach allows some built-in variety into the way the Noatikl piece is played as the piece progresses.

The Velocity parameter is combined with various other velocity parameters, so you'd want probably to read-up on those in the Noatikl user guide and have a play with them in the Noatikl demo, to get a "feel" for how they all work together!

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Mixtikl”