Cross platform sound quality differences

Generative Music Mixer
oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Cross platform sound quality differences

Postby oldlibmike » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 pm

I love using Mixtikl on my iPad and iMac - I frequently move back and forth when creating something. Usually I start 'on the go' on the iPad, tweak a bit and then finish up on the Desktop version. Recently, I went back and forth and back again playing the resulting mix from the iPad via Airplay to some good speakers.

I was quite surprised at the differences in sound quality on the iPad. I am running ate the 44100 output on both platforms. I assume this is due to limited CPU etc. etc., but with the new iPad and its dual core processor, are you considering maybe a preference setting to improve sound quality when played on the mobile device?

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Cross platform sound quality differences

Postby impete » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi oldlibmike,

Many thanks for your post.

Because Mixtikl uses a *lot* of processing power for some of its content, we run at 22kHz stereo by default on most platforms.
Without this, the app can seem very unresponsive when running more complex content.

On desktop, of course, we can run at a higher rate, as desktop computers are very much more powerful!

To bump-up your iPad to run at 44kHz, simply do this:
- select the main Menu screen
- press the Options button
- set the Audio Output to the value you want (e.g. 44100 Hz stereo)

It is certainly something we can review for future iOS based builds, so many thanks for mentioning this!

I hope that helps - and with best wishes,

Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby oldlibmike » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:20 pm

impete wrote:Hi oldlibmike,

Many thanks for your post.

Because Mixtikl uses a *lot* of processing power for some of its content, we run at 22kHz stereo by default on most platforms.
Without this, the app can seem very unresponsive when running more complex content.

On desktop, of course, we can run at a higher rate, as desktop computers are very much more powerful!

To bump-up your iPad to run at 44kHz, simply do this:
- select the main Menu screen
- press the Options button
- set the Audio Output to the value you want (e.g. 44100 Hz stereo)

It is certainly something we can review for future iOS based builds, so many thanks for mentioning this!

I hope that helps - and with best wishes,

Pete

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am actually running at 44100 Hz on both platforms and there are still significant differences in sound quality. The Airplay with the iPad is lossless, so I don't think I'm getting artifacts there. Maybe I can audio capture an example from each if I get some time.
At any rate, I have both versions and prefer mastering on the desktop. Looking forward to more updates!

Mike

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi Mike,

Well, that is a bit surprising! It'd be nice for sure to get to the bottom of whatever your problem is.

What are you using to monitor the output from Airplay; is there *any* chance that your audio output hardware might have an influence on what you're hearing?

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Mixtikl”