No sound OSX Mac Mini W/sound card

Generative Music Mixer
Stan9FOS
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

No sound OSX Mac Mini W/sound card

Postby Stan9FOS » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Seeing a few "getting no sound "threads on the forum, which concerns me. Add me to the list, my specifics: running a Mac Mini with a Tascam sound card for audio interface & downloaded Mixtikl from App Store, can only hear audio in head phones if "built-in output" is chosen, like other users. Mixtikl does not see the sound card, which it will need to do to interface with my other software.
I can record audio from Mixtikl into Audacity by using Soundflower, but it kills playback and all I can do is listen to playback of the file after recording. I checked the This product, while attractive, seems to be intended for the handheld device market. It really seems like a touchscreen app, after the small amount of hands-on time I have spent with it. I can't use it if the headphone jack is the only audio output. If there are no driver updates or other options to allow use with a sound card and desktop computer system, I may regrettably need to uninstall it and request a refund. The system requirements in the app store quoted OSX 10.6.6 or later; I am running 10.7.4 and have not upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: No sound OSX Mac Mini W/sound card

Postby Umcorps » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 am

As I understand it, Mixtikl (Mac desktop) takes its device list from Core Audio. If the Tascam device is visible in the Mac's Audio Midi setup applet, Mixtikl will show it in its list of available devices in its menu bar/Options/Devices drop down list. Mixtikl defaults to the inbuilt input and output only because that's usually the first device listed by Core Audio when there is more than one device.

If the Tascam is correctly installed and shows in Core Audio but still isn't listed in Mixtikl's device list that is something both new to me and very weird.

FWIW, I also run Mixtikl desktop on an (ageing) Mac Mini with multiple interfaces connected (both USB and Firewire) and I've never experienced a Core Audio device failing to show up for use in Mixtikl.

Stan9FOS
Bronze

Postby Stan9FOS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for your input. Definitely a core audio device, it's a Tascam US-144. Not the newest sound card on the market, but it has worked flawlessly with everything else on the new Mac. Since i got Mixtikl from the App Store, I don't know of a way to re-install, which is what I would normally try. I really would like to try this software, but not as a headphone-only gadget.

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:40 am

OK. That's really odd. After a quick check I see that there were past issues with the US-144 not appearing as an output device in various pieces of Mac software.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2131920?start=45&tstart=0

That seemed to be related to 64/32 bit conflicts which should have been fixed in the last released version of the drivers (http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/313/TASCAM_US-122MKII_US-144MKII_Driver_2.00.dmg

It might be worth forcing the Tascam into 32 bit mode to see if that makes any difference.

Stan9FOS
Bronze

Postby Stan9FOS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for your research efforts, I'll try the driver install when I get home from work. Not sure if I have updated the driver since I purchased the new Mac, only a couple of weeks ago. Stay tuned for updates, I can't wait to see what happens!

Stan

Stan9FOS
Bronze

Postby Stan9FOS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Reinstalled driver, tried 32-bit mode, back to 64-bit, uninstalled & reinstalled driver, shook my bag of bones, no joy. :cry:

Stan9FOS
Bronze

Postby Stan9FOS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Gonna check with the app store to see if I downloaded the iPad version instead of the OSX version. Might be the reason it's not recognizing a sound card? If that doesn't work I'm done with it.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby imtim » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Just FYI, you can also record Mixtikl audio output directly to a WAV file whether or not you can use the US-144 (and it is strange indeed if, as a Core Audio device, that is not showing up). Press the record button in the mixer top toolbar to go to the Mix Recording screen and then select the Mixdown button. You change change the Mixdown settings by pressing the Settings button at the bottom of the Mix Recording screen (http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... rding.html).

hth!

Return to “Mixtikl”