Noobie question re Mixtikl and Noatikl

Generative Music Mixer
Pete66
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Noobie question re Mixtikl and Noatikl

Postby Pete66 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi. I am new to Mixtikl...running it on my iPad at the moment, and really enjoying it.
I have a couple of probably very dumb questions...apologies in advance!
- Mixtikl only has 4 columns going across...I know cells can be set to loop etc, but presumably this restricts things in terms of longer tracks? Is the way round this to output to a DAW?
- I have Auria on the iPad, and wondered about outputting the cells as separate tracks, and mixing etc in Auria - would doing separate mix downs with individual tracks solo'd be the best way to do this?
- I was looking at Noatikl for my Laptop, but as Mixtikl seems to have a lot of control and synth editing capability built into it, I don't quite see where Noatikl fits, and if it would be worth me investing in it?
- Also, will Mixtikl and Noatikl run on a G4 PowerBook (power pc processor...per intel).
Thanks

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Noobie question re Mixtikl and Noatikl

Postby impete » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi!

Hi. I am new to Mixtikl...running it on my iPad at the moment, and really enjoying it.

Glad to hear you're having fun. :) I hope you are sufficiently impressed to leave a nice review on the App Store! ;)

I have a couple of probably very dumb questions...apologies in advance!
- Mixtikl only has 4 columns going across...I know cells can be set to loop etc, but presumably this restricts things in terms of longer tracks? Is the way round this to output to a DAW?

A big idea of Mixtikl is that, as the various cells can have different durations, the 12 tracks of content keep moving against each other, so the relative mix keeps changing. You can see this if you, say, set the duration of track 1 cell 1 to 2 bars, and leave the rest at (say) 1 bar duration. See how the tracks change the way they sync!

You can output to a DAW of course; the plug-in version is probably the easiest way to approach this.

- I have Auria on the iPad, and wondered about outputting the cells as separate tracks, and mixing etc in Auria - would doing separate mix downs with individual tracks solo'd be the best way to do this?

I haven't really got an answer for that, I'm afraid, as Mixtikl is designed to mix all the tracks together internally.
You could take recordings from different takes I guess, by muting out individual tracks; but then they wouldn't necessarily harmonize with each other!
We might at some point in the future allow each track to be put out to a separate virtual audio device, but there hasn't been too much demand for that yet. :)

- I was looking at Noatikl for my Laptop, but as Mixtikl seems to have a lot of control and synth editing capability built into it, I don't quite see where Noatikl fits, and if it would be worth me investing in it?

Noatikl is very much about drilling-down and playing with the generative rules; it is quite a unique beast. I recommend it - but I would do, as I wrote it. :)

We're bring out a version of Noatikl for iOS at some point, I've written quite a lot of the port, but there is still much to go...

- Also, will Mixtikl and Noatikl run on a G4 PowerBook (power pc processor...per intel).

Alas no, as Mixtikl and Noatikl both require Intel processors for Mac.

Do please feel free to ask if you have any more questions!!

Best wishes,

Pete

Pete66
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Pete66 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Pete
Thanks very much for such a quick and comprehensive reply - very much appreciated!
I think I hadn't fully got my head round some of the concepts re Mixtikl, but I'll follow your advice and have a go.
Have also decided to purchase Noatikl, so look forward to learning how to use it.
Thanks again
Pete

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Pete,

Glad to have helped. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Mixtikl”