Resolved: Export files on iPad for use in other programs?

Generative Music Mixer
Swa11ace
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Resolved: Export files on iPad for use in other programs?

Postby Swa11ace » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I have the new version for my ipad and I'd like to use these mixes I'm creating in the video editing programs (like iMovie) I use on my ipad. I see I can export as a wav file in mixtikl, but its not visible to iMovie. I'm not part of the Apple ecosystem, so I'm hopeful there's a quick solution for the ipad.

Thank you,
Steve

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Export files on iPad for use in other programs?

Postby Umcorps » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 am

Welcome. I think the problem you face here is about the restrictions of the iOS system and the difficulty in sharing files between apps.

As far as I know, iMovie can only "see" audio that has been synced to your iPad via iTunes. There isn't a way I can think of that would let you move audio from one app to another (except one, but I'll get to that in a minute) so you'd need to save Mixtikl's output as a wave file, get it back to your main computer - either by an iTunes sync or just by mailing it to yourself, and then import it back to your iPad using iTunes for it to then show up in your iPad's music library along with everything else.

The exception is that if you have Garageband for the iPad installed. Imovie on the iPad can import audio tracks directly from Garageband. So, if you have that, you could copy Mixtikl's output to the system pasteboard, then paste that into Garageband as a new track and save it in your Garageband library. iMovie can then see the audio.

Its fiddly, but that's the nature of the iOS ecosystem.

Swa11ace

Re: Export files on iPad for use in other programs?

Postby Swa11ace » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Thank you, that confirms what I was starting to think about it. I like the garage band option, I've been wanting an excuse to buy it.

Best regards,
Steve

Return to “Mixtikl”