Resolved: Can't seem to get the VST plugins to update

Generative Music Mixer
zadude
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Resolved: Can't seem to get the VST plugins to update

Postby zadude » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Hello - just wanted to say I have been using Mixtikl for many years and I love both the IOS app and the standalone app.

I have a question that I have yet to figure out - and I would really like to know if there is a fix. I have the latest versions of both the Desktop app and the IOS app (and purchased both as I love this app a lot). I also use mixtikl in the creation of music with Ableton Live 8. I have downloaded the latest VST plugin updates but my version in Ableton is only version 2. Everytime I open it as a vst plugin in Live, it opens and tells me there is a newer version available. So each time I go and download the .zip file - install the installer yet my vst plugin does not seem to change. I have attached a screen shot of the vst plugin that never seems to change.

I have been trying to figure out what files are installed in the installer and where they are installed as it might help me figure out which file and where is not being updated with the installer automatically.

Any help to solve this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick Thomson

Ps - is there an easy guide for how to use Noatikl - I would love to learn this app and would purchase the desktop app if I could actually figure out how to use it well enough. Thanks

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Can't seem to get the VST plugins to update

Postby impete » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Rick,

Very sorry to hear about your troubles - can you please tell us *exactly* which operating system version you're using...? Many thanks in advance!

On the subject of easy guides to Noatikl - well, we're very close (weeks?) to releasing Noatikl for iOS. We've worked very hard on making this as productive an app as possible, by "re-inventing" the UI for the mobile version.

In conjunction with this, we've spend the past several months preparing a complete update to the Intermorphic site; which will lead, we hope, to much better documentation etc.

So, please bear with us, we're working very hard behind the scenes to make Noatikl and Mixtikl as easy to use as possible! :)

Best wishes,

Pete

zadude
Bronze

Postby zadude » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 am

HI Pete - thanks for the reply ... I have been running Mixtikl on an my machines - they seem to all have the same problem with the vst plugin in Ableton Live - but the system I use the most is running 10.8.3 - the other two machines are running 10.6.8 - same problem - it prompts the update but after installing it on either system - the plugin seems to stay the same.

I look forward to Noatikl iOS - and I will download the desktop manual when it comes out.

I appreciate all of the work on Intermorphic's apps - I have been using Mixtikl since it came out, and I love the app. I use it as a tool for creativity - or sometimes just to alleviate boredom - randomly generating pieces - like rolling the dice - to see what comes up.

Can't wait to learn more about Noatikl so I can use this in my creation process.

Thanks for following up with me.

Rick

impete wrote:Hi Rick,

Very sorry to hear about your troubles - can you please tell us *exactly* which operating system version you're using...? Many thanks in advance!

On the subject of easy guides to Noatikl - well, we're very close (weeks?) to releasing Noatikl for iOS. We've worked very hard on making this as productive an app as possible, by "re-inventing" the UI for the mobile version.

In conjunction with this, we've spend the past several months preparing a complete update to the Intermorphic site; which will lead, we hope, to much better documentation etc.

So, please bear with us, we're working very hard behind the scenes to make Noatikl and Mixtikl as easy to use as possible! :)

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 am

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback!

Some time back, we started building our code as 64-bit (something required by Apple's toolchains...) ... and I wonder if this is what is behind your issue. Anyhow, I have a couple of ideas to try/investigate...

1) if you use the Mixtikl AU instead of the Mixtikl VSTi, does that work for you?

2) Please look in:
<your home folder>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
... what date do you see on the file called mixtikl_VSTi_mac.vst ...?

3) Right-click on mixtikl_VSTi_mac.vst, select Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu
Open the Contents folder that is revealed
Right click on the Info.plist file that is revealed, select Info from the pop-up menu
What version number can you see in the Preview section (look for CFBundleShortVersionString - it should look like 5.3.3)

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Pete

zadude
Bronze

Postby zadude » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 pm

HI Pete:

Sorry I didn't check into this sooner - have been busy since coming back from vacation. I am able to use the AU plugin - I was just curious as to why I kept getting a prompt to update each time even though I had been downloading the plugin from the website on prompt.

<<2) Please look in:

The date on the file is 2010-03-04

3) Right-click on mixtikl_VSTi_mac.vst, select Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu
Right click on the Info.plist file that is revealed, select Info from the pop-up menu
What version number can you see in the Preview section (look for CFBundleShortVersionString - it should look like 5.3.3)

The version I found was 5.2.11

What I find odd though is that the download for the Mixtikl plugins doesn't seem to update the version (at least I don't think it does - as I keep getting the pop-up for a newer version of Mixtikl. Oddly enough, I never used to get that pop-up when I opened up Ableton Live before the last few months.

This is my hardware on the machine that is running 10.8.3 - in case it helps. I think it is a 32-bit machine as all of my macs are. On my other MacPro and MacbookPro - I am running 10.6.8 (on the macbook that is as far as it will go, and on the MacPro - I run an older piece of software that will break with an update).

Hardware Overview of newest Macbook Pro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.68f99

I appreciate you looking into this for me - I think your products are excellent and I look forward to the Noatikl for dummies manual so I can figure things out and really learn how to use it.

Thanks again,

Rick

Thanks for the feedback!

Some time back, we started building our code as 64-bit (something required by Apple's toolchains...) ... and I wonder if this is what is behind your issue. Anyhow, I have a couple of ideas to try/investigate...

1) if you use the Mixtikl AU instead of the Mixtikl VSTi, does that work for you?

2) Please look in:

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi Rick,

Right, I think I can now explain what is going on.

The Mixtikl software has been updated, but you're (I think!) using a 32-bit host with 32-bit Mixtikl plug-ins whereas and the latest Mixtikl / Noatikl software for Mac is 64-bit only. We had to make that transition in the New Year, as Apple have updated their own tool chains and we need to keep up-to-date ... So, if you download and install the latest Mixtikl, you'll find that your copy of Mixtikl isn't actually updated!

Solution: ignore the prompt for now :), and when you eventually come to upgrade your Mac, simply install the latest 64-bit tools and the latest 64-bit Mixtikl plug-ins.

Does that help?

Best wishes,

Pete

zadude
Bronze

Postby zadude » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 am

Hi Pete:

That makes sense. Even my newest machine isn't 64-bit.

I will ignore the update prompts and make music without concern.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Rick

Right, I think I can now explain what is going on.

The Mixtikl software has been updated, but you're (I think!) using a 32-bit host with 32-bit Mixtikl plug-ins whereas and the latest Mixtikl / Noatikl software for Mac is 64-bit only. We had to make that transition in the New Year, as Apple have updated their own tool chains and we need to keep up-to-date ... So, if you download and install the latest Mixtikl, you'll find that your copy of Mixtikl isn't actually updated!

Solution: ignore the prompt for now :), and when you eventually come to upgrade your Mac, simply install the latest 64-bit tools and the latest 64-bit Mixtikl plug-ins.

Does that help?

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Mixtikl”