Newbie question about sine Osc

Generative Music Mixer
Kimchee
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Newbie question about sine Osc

Postby Kimchee » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:51 pm

I'm having an issue in both Noatikl & Mixtikl with Partikl where an Osc seems to work with square, triangular, and saw waveforms but is silent when I choose the Sine waveform. I start a new Mixtikl, edit the first cell in track one making the content from the Noatikl seed pak an ambient. Press play and I hear it playing. I edit the sound, MIDI channel 1, to add an Osc and remove the wave table. Now the sound stops. I change the waveform to square or saw to triangle and I hear the tone. I change the waveform back to sine and the sounds stop.

What am I doing wrong?

Kimchee

Re: Newbie question about sine Osc

Postby Kimchee » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:27 am

Here's a little more information on my problem.

I'm running Mixtikl on an iPad.

I was mistaken before: sine & triangle oscillators exhibit this problem, not just the sine. Square and saw waveforms sound OK.

If I add an amplifier in the chain after the sine oscillator and turn up the gain, I can hear the sine oscillator but it's very broken up.

Without an amplifier in Partikl, I can hear the sine waveform if I change Ove to 2. It sounds lower in pitch to me than the square wave.

DSynth generator seems to work as expected so I assume the program can generate sine waves.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby imtim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Kimchee

Sorry to hear you are having problems. What is your iPAD and what version of Mixtikl are you using?

I have just done, from scratch (always a good test to see as it means there are no other factors involved including FX units), a quick test on iPhone 5 with Mixtikl 6.1.3 and it seems fine. This is what I did.

Created a New Empty Mix.
Added a Fixed Pattern voice to a cell (Content Cell > Content > Noatikl_Seed > Fixed Pattern)
Set the Fixed Pattern to be something (Content Cell > Generators > Fixed Pattern Value > Folder icon to select template e.g. Random Bar - Crotchets)
Change the sound to be a Tone Generator (Content Cell > Sounds -> Sound Network -> Delete the default Wavetable and added a Tone Osc).
If I go into the Tone Osc unit, I can change from Saw to Square to Sine etc and hear them all just fine.

If you want to send me your file I can have a look if you like, but it could be anything (e.g. EQ unit, pitch, filter).... hence starting from scratch as above.

Hoping this helps,

atb

tim

Kimchee

Postby Kimchee » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:41 am

Tim,

Thanks for trying to help. I tried what you suggested on both my iPhone 5 and my iPad 3 using Mixtikl version 6.1.3 and I still had no luck. I hear two tones at very low volume when the waveform is sine, and 4 nice loud tones when square waveform is used. Could there be some other software I need to load?

It seems like the volume of the sine tones are too low.

Here is the Mixtikl file I made following your directions

'Osc test' http://mixtikl.com/?mtk4UEsDBBQAAAAIAAAAIAAYM6MDBgIAAOEDAAAJAAAAbS5taXh0aWtsjZPLjpswFIZfBXnDxgO-cG1CpI6SqbpIJ1IWXZQIueBMaMxF2JNmFOXd6wOjaNpFFSGO_eFzfp8fwwU16NOPC3qxkWBK7I3REmGGUd0aOTTd0B_q0m_qs6mPyu_FUftf18UX2S6H10az4vm78Z916RipjfeehnCM0Xx_bhbz17Y2jsncQZ7k8NPtM5cSFmSczUhGvRnNPDazT2ILQQizJPNIBJN0XCecZ4A8yCCR04wyFsQ8ioFYFsWUJAnMSZbwJIlcfzH3YWtk7WCOGcUEM47R9iAqqdHuii_IkNF1SUbb_7f6rRPAxVbKyt_XZ1n1wtj81munFbtROtnVjspcAiYDd_G3f_Pid7qEpVuDY9S2T9siuuSozaGpHD3ByEmCWZxiTlI7xtB1jvawEmGWsokPwKFlPvEAbOvSYGINHFsOJ-6B6fs5w3uhIeaMAKU4R8scTXmnJ7C5mWxCTZDY5JDanLmtdR6diDgMQgiBjtN0kSMcgc5Y7dzKd9fddQzw4iOrxnAyAaUjpTi08nceh_3y1vWZFsu1-OWXxWrjBOagnbIeSiWdRqquens43s5m3KikdwvHviqWQ9craYpKKmG1tNeL4YMYu09spWQjW6NpsX1rzcHXdSud3-Ikncr-C6rr5fCPML9D-FEqpdfSCKU_D7223a6aTS3arlBSVA_iY7Nw_QFQSwECAAAUAAAACAAAACAAGDOjAwYCAADhAwAACQAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAbS5taXh0aWtsUEsFBgAAAAABAAEANwAAAC0CAAAAAA generative music mixtikl > get #Mixtikl (http://mixtikl.com) < play FREE!

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:29 am

Hi Kimchee

Thanks for your file, which helps. Are you playing this through the speakers on your iPhone/iPad or headphones? The reason I ask is that I think the different waveforms all sound fine on my studio monitors / headphones. The energy in each waveform is slightly different (due to the harmonics), and on some speakers low frequency sine waves just do not come through very well (they all sound about the same when you take the octave up by 2).

What I did to show this was to put some EQ after the TG and take out the top end. If you listen to this through headphones you will hear that they all sound about the same (Square is the loudest though).

Hope that helps.

atb
tim

http://mixtikl.com/?mtk4UEsDBBQAAAAIAAAAIACct_2qJAIAACoEAAAJAAAAbS5taXh0aWtsjVPLbtswEPwVgRddGIkPPWvTQAMnRQ9uAvjQQ2UIrETHaqhHRSZ1YOTfy5VSI-2hMAQtZ8TdIWdJnVCLPnw7oQcXCabEvRitEWYYNZ1VY9uPw6GpwrY52uZRh4N8NOHnTflJdevxqTWsvPtqwztTeVYZG7ylIZxitNwf29XyqWusZ4U_qmc1fvcH4VPCIsHZgggaLKgI2MJ9SR2JYkCZCEgCIJ_mCecCKI8EJHIqKGNRypMUGBNJSkmWASYi41mW-OFqGcLSyNnBHDOKCWYco-1B1sqg3Ss-IUsm1xWZbP_f6pdeAi-3StXhvjmqepDW5XdBN8-4hfLZrvG08AmYjPzV3_7tQ9ibCqZgg3--qp9PUjdGjXNjYteTCEzHibh6Q-kZZWeUT-jsdIrGGXZe0alAXQHuCnQLIycZZmmOOcndmIL9Au1hJsEsZzM_AI8d5zMfgbu6PJq5AZ46Hs98AE7fLgw0mMaYMwIsxwVaF2jOe76Fft3P_YKaKHPJMXU5S1frXXsJ8RiEGAKdYL4qEE5AZ6r2zuW7193rFOAEE6fGcDYTSieW49jJX3iu7gpvmiMt1xv5I6zKm3svsgfjVc1YaeW1Svf1y9Xj-ZCnhSp6sXAa6nI99oNWtqyVlk7LBIMc34mxy8RutGpVZw0tty-dPYSm6ZT3Sz4rr3Y_le4HNf4jzC8QvlZam42yUpuP42Dcbm_a-0Z2famVrK_k-83C8xtQSwECAAAUAAAACAAAACAAnLf9qiQCAAAqBAAACQAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAbS5taXh0aWtsUEsFBgAAAAABAAEANwAAAEsCAAAAAA

Kimchee

Postby Kimchee » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Tim,

Thanks so much, that was the problem. For whatever reason the iPad speakers don't have the dynamic range the ear phones do. I tried it with earphones and it worked as expected. I'm really looking forward to diving into Partikl/Noatikl/Mixtikl.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 am

Cool, glad all is now OK!

atb

tim

Return to “Mixtikl”